Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Clyde, have you ever got any really funny mails about GSAK? I mean like:

Hi, I have a problem with GSAK. I can't get it to import data. I don't know what is wrong. I try to use it on an old Mac and I don't own a GPS or PDA, and I'm not a premium member at GC.com, but it doesn't seem like GSAK is working for me. What should I do?

:D

/hedberg - who have worked at a computer service center, and heard all those kind of stories.. :D

Clyde, is there any way I can pay for the registration besides PayPal. I have no other need for it use and don't really want to go that way. I love GSAK. Just got a new 76C today and using the serial conectin was able to load waypoints to it just like I have been with my old 76S. I also use it to export the WP to MS&T. I am willing to send $20 for registration either by personal check, cash, certified check or money order. Thanks Dick, W7WT

Clyde, is there any way I can pay for the registration besides PayPal. I have no other need for it use and don't really want to go that way. I love GSAK. Just got a new 76C today and using the serial conectin was able to load waypoints to it just like I have been with my old 76S. I also use it to export the WP to MS&T. I am willing to send $20 for registration either by personal check, cash, certified check or money order. Thanks Dick, W7WT

You have mail :unsure:

Clyde, have you ever got any really funny mails about GSAK? I mean like:

Hi, I have a problem with GSAK. I can't get it to import data. I don't know what is wrong. I try to use it on an old Mac and I don't own a GPS or PDA, and I'm not a premium member at GC.com, but it doesn't seem like GSAK is working for me. What should I do?

:unsure:

/hedberg - who have worked at a computer service center, and heard all those kind of stories.. :tired:

Oh boy, could I tell you some stories :unsure:

You just have to grin and bear it :tired:

Since I'm too lazy to read every post. Something I'd like to see:

- A way to toggle a cache manually to show you've found it.

- How about being able to click on the 4 square box being able to sort caches no found by number of red marked boxes?

Still a kick a** program! What does registering get you, besides thanks from Clyde?

Thanks,

- How about being able to click on the 4 square box being able to sort caches no found by number of red marked boxes?

You can toggle it manually by double clicking the cache which opens the Edit box and checking the found button. I think you can also add the Found column to the grid and check it right in the grid.

The last 4 log entries isn't something that can currently be filtered on.

Since I'm too lazy to read every post. Something I'd like to see:

Still a kick a** program! What does registering get you, besides thanks from Clyde?

Thanks,

For the current benefits of registration please see http://www.gsak.net/Register.htm

However, this could be a whole new topic of discussion. I get the feeling that current registered users would like to see more incentive to register. Something along the lines of "I have registered, so why should Joe Blow be able to use all the features for free"

You may also think of it as "insurance" as you just don't know what will happen in the future.

I guess this is something that will always be under review.

Edited by ClydeE

I'm not sure if this is a Cachemate or a GSAK feature request, but I think it probably is for GSAK, so I'll post it here

GC.com always provides your log entry for any found cache in the pocket query, but it appears that when downloading to Cachemate, only the most recent "n" cache logs are downloaded to the Palm.

Would it be possible to have a preference for always including any personal log entries in the package sent to cmconvert for Cachemate?

Jon

GC.com always provides your log entry for any found cache in the pocket query, but it appears that when downloading to Cachemate, only the most recent "n" cache logs are downloaded to the Palm.

?

I have never get my own logs with all the caches, except those caches I have found recently and they are on top places on the list on the cache description.

But otherwise, no.

?

I have never get my own logs with all the caches, except those caches I have found recently and they are on top places on the list on the cache description.

But otherwise, no.

That's odd. I see our logs in GSAK dating from 2002 on busy caches and I only started using GSAK a couple of months ago. I thought from a posting I had seen that pocket queries always included your own logs even if they were not in the last 5 recorded, but I guess I'd better do some more research to find out . Maybe it's a function of the particular type of query your generate? Dunno, I'll try to figure it out.

Jon

jon & miki: I think you are correct. I looked at the 1st cache I ever found which is still active and it shows the 4 most recent log entries and then mine.

My understanding is that a PQ will return the last 5 logs and always your found log. So if your found log is not in the last 5, you actually get 6 logs.

Maybe I am wrong about the 6 logs scenario, but I am sure you do always get your found log.

My understanding is that a PQ will return the last 5 logs and always your found log. So if your found log is not in the last 5, you actually get 6 logs.

Maybe I am wrong about the 6 logs scenario, but I am sure you do always get your found log.

I just checked - 5 + your own for a total of 6, assuming you logged a find and there are 5 or more logs after your find.

jon & miki: I think you are correct. I looked at the 1st cache I ever found which is still active and it shows the 4 most recent log entries and then mine.

Is it a reasonable (and hopefully easily implementable) thing then to have have a switch for GSAK that would always send my own logs through CMConvert to Cachemate?

Jon

Is it a reasonable (and hopefully easily implementable) thing then to have have a switch for GSAK that would always send my own logs through CMConvert to Cachemate?

Jon

I will add this to my "to do" list