Personal Logs

Ok - another newbee question -

do you keep personal logs? We have the log on our own page - the log on the cache page - the log in the cache - man do we have logs!

So far I have a stack of the print outs from the cache pages on the site that I carry with me - then I write on it the time and results take-left etc. and notes about the find to put in the log for the cache page.

Now I am seeing the need for some kind of book or file - hmmm.... now I am thinking maybe a file of a copy (and paste) of what I write in the cache pages of my finds.

Am I over thinking this - over logging?

Comments?

Now I am seeing the need for some kind of book or file - hmmm.... now I am thinking maybe a file of a copy (and paste) of what I write in the cache pages of my finds.

That's exactly what I do.

I have a word processing document that I first write my notes on my find (along with notes that I don't want to post.)

After it's how I want it, I go to the website and cut/paste into my find (or DNF) log.

It protects against interruptions when typing on the website, does my spell-checking for me, gives me a place for personal notes (like TB numbers) and gives a permanent record independent of the website.

And it doesn't take much extra time.

I started keeping a journal.

Then printing them out.

Even that got to be a hassle, and now I just have a Pocket Query set up to grab all my finds and I keep a GPX file of all my finds. Hopefully the day will come when a program like Watcher can filter out just my logs, then that will be perfect.

We carry a journal on the hunt. We then log from that journal.

Ditto. Especially since it sometimes takes me a couple of months to get around to logging online. My caching friends have dubbed my notebook "War and Peace". I also photograph each of my cache logs and use both the photograph and notebook when I finally get around to logging online.

We carry a journal on the hunt.  We then log from that journal.

Ditto. Especially since it sometimes takes me a couple of months to get around to logging online. My caching friends have dubbed my notebook "War and Peace". I also photograph each of my cache logs and use both the photograph and notebook when I finally get around to logging online.

Well, we do keep a basic notebook that is usually little more then time, date, gc number and trades if any. I too photograph my log. The notebook is basically so I dont forget any when I log, it's not a journal by a longshot.

I started with a little black journal (nice for adding sketches of neat things I see), but now I'm using cachemate, which I adore. However, having it and using it sometimes gets garbled a bit.. last week I went on a few multi-cache hunts with pals, and since we were all in a whirlwind of caching, I forgot to take notes, and I forgot ENTIRELY what I left where, which was embarrassing when I went to post logs here on the website. So I swear now that I'll always take the time to make notes!

../Mosaica

We carry a journal on the hunt. We then log from that journal.

Ditto if it's a cache day where I'll start to forget all the things I noticed. Then I toss the journal.

What I'd like is my own cache appliance that tracks all my finds archived or not, keep me updated on logs automaticly so they are there when I get curouse. This doesn't exist yet.

I keep a pocket sized spiral note pad. Usually one line per find, maybe two if I pick up/drop off a TB. I list the waypoint date, and maybe an abreviated title. This is helpfull when you cache while traveling since it sometimes takles a week or two to get to a PC and log finds.

We (my wife and I) keep notes on each cache page we take with us then make the log entry when we get back home. I then transcribe the logs into our personal logbook and my wife makes a scrapbook page (or 2 or 3 if needed) for each cache we find. We always take a picture of each cache when we leave. She does a wonderful job on the scrapbook (she does it through print artsist and photoshop on the computer, much easier, faster and better looking than the traditional paper punch and cut scrapbooks)

For us it makes a wonderful record of our memories and also will be something each of our kids can take with them as they each have their own scrapbook telling the story from their point of view (or how they would see it through their eyes) I absolutely love it and very glad my wife takes the time to do it.

MH

mechanical hands -

have you seen i-cache software - just downloaded it - free - not bad - need to play a little but it looks servicable - may be what you are looking for.

Guess I gotta start taking my camera with me too - have avoided it with so much hanging on me already.

No I havent heard of it. Do you have a link? The mrs does a wonderful job as it is now, whipping some pages out in 30-60 minutes or so. Thank goodness for digital cameras I'd be broke already if it wasnt for the one we have. (wore out the first one already lol)

I'll try to post some copies of the pages the mrs does in my gallery soon then let evveryone know they are there. Its really impressive the creativity my wife has. Guess she got all the artsy genes, and I got the thinking ones LOL (now dont go tellin her that either or else I may never be back online again after she finsihes smashing the computer and my head along with it LOL)

MH

I use gpxsonar on my pocket pc. I usually log the find at the cache in the field notes for that cache. When I get home, or to a hotspot, I use those notes to log it online. In the case of a particularly special or detailed log, the short notes on my ppc are expanded in the online log.

I would like to see a "personal journal" space in my "my cache page" area where my online log is saved, and not affected by cache owners deleting them etc.

I don't keep a logbook, but I do keep the printouts of the caches. Even if I go to paperless caching, I think I'll still print out the cache pages for some kind of scrapbook in the future. I take digital pictures of every search I go on, even the unsuccessful ones.

I also keep the *.loc files of caches I've found, as well as a spreadsheet of every search that I've done for a cache. The spreadsheet keeps track of my "found" percentage.

When I first started, I used to keep a personal log and personal statistics. The stats included conditions from weather to horizon levels and overhead canopy density, the GPS EPE and how far off it was when at ground zero.

Keeping both of those got to be too much like work and the fun started to dry up. When I stopped keeping the log and statistics; the fun of the sport welled back up.

Does anyone here have experience with that i-cache program? I'm not sure if I should be downloading .loc files or .gpx files or if it even makes any difference. All I am getting when I import .loc files into the program is the cache name and waypoint. I was hoping it would download a little more information than that into the program. If not, I'll be here a while trying to update everything (which really means I'll probably give up on doing it after a while..lol).

Sorry pandy, not I. Guess I'm still on the lower tech end of things. I just rely on the notes we take on the cache sheet for reference then the Scrapbook pages my Mrs does for each cache. I finally got them into my gallery, be forewarned many are spoilers as its to preserve a memory for us.

For us the scrapbook pages and the little log we keep keep each cache preserved and bring back alot of memoires, and isnt alot of work. Well the scrapbook pages take some time but the Mrs loves it and it keeps the entire hobby fun.

MH

Does anyone here have experience with that i-cache program? I'm not sure if I should be downloading .loc files or .gpx files or if it even makes any difference. All I am getting when I import .loc files into the program is the cache name and waypoint. I was hoping it would download a little more information than that into the program. If not, I'll be here a while trying to update everything (which really means I'll probably give up on doing it after a while..lol).

I have been playing with i-cache =

nice little program - not a lot of infomation in the loc file Pandy - I agree it will take a while to enter the info you want - but you have to start somewhere - I'm going to play with it for a while - you gotta admit the price is right -

Waypont: GCC38E

Cache Name: Ashley Cache by kusanagi

Latitude: 37.6653

Longitude: -122.0455

this is the file itself - it is in xml format

?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<loc version="1.0" src="Groundspeak">

<waypoint>

<name id="GCC38E"><![CDATA[Ashley Cache by kusanagi]]></name>

<coord lat="37.6653" lon="-122.0455"/>

<type>Geocache</type>

<link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?

wp=GCC38E</link>

</waypoint></loc>

Another good way to create a journal thats handy is to get an odometer bug. It's just a travelbug or geocoin or any other trackable number that you log into and out of every cache you look for. I log mine into the caches I didn't find as well, noting it as a dnf. Those logs are your journal, right at your fingertips from the My Cache page. An added feature is it maps your caching travels.

I replaced the zipperpull on my camelback with the dogtag, so it really does "ride along".

I have a personal TB that I log in and out when I register finds at the site.

I also have a pen and ink :( logbook that I fill in. I also use it to write down clues that I will need if I'm working a cache series.

I print out the cache page w/ 5 logs. Decrypt the clue and it is ready if I need it.

I print out the maps and have those ready for each cache staple it all together - then arrange them in the order I want for driving

If you mean, "do I keep a personal record of all my cache finds?", then yes, I do, and I would recommend everyone do it as well. My record is a WORD doc, with columns for date found, cache name, first find number, waypoint number, and state.

Couple of reasons:

What if, by some whacked out Internet or database glitch, some caches or records got wiped from this website, and it affected you? Or what if the website closed down? I know it's unlikely, but hey, sometimes it happens. You would still have a backup copy, and nothing would be lost.

Freedom. Keeping your own records allows me to track ALL my finds in ONE place, instead of jumping back and forth from different cache listing websites. I don't have to worry about getting a "smilie" :( for a find, so I can seek any cache listed on any service, and add it to my own "found" list.

Just my 2 pesos, amigo...:(

Yes that is exactly what I meant (sorry for not being clear). :(

Being new I found things got to be a mess. I found 2 great programs - one is the Swiss Army knive and the other is i-cache. They work great. I also started a log that I fill out after filling out the log in the cache - that way I don't have to remember what I left where as I often cover several close caches in a singel trip.

I also print out the printable cache page along with the last 5 logs. I print out at least one map - maybe 2 or more and a topo if necessary. Carry that along when searching the cache.

:(