Geocache-athalon

Cleveland Metroparks

I just wanted to send an invite out to everyone in the region to the Geocache-Athalon event on July 17th.

Cleveland Metroparks will host an event with 8 possible caches, each attainable by finding 3 clues in different modes of transportation. We will have canoe, kayak, hiking, driving, biking and even creek-hiking caches. Canoes and kayaks will be available for loan.

Check out waypoint GCJCAB for more info. You can also contact me by e-mail at geocaching@clevelandmetroparks.com.

I hope to see some new faces along with great friends at this event.

Carly Martin

Cleveland Metroparks

Geocaching Coordinator

The event coincides with my family's summer vacation and so we are planning on attending. We may be pulling in late on Friday night (the trip is about 7 hours from where we live in Indiana.) After the event we will be zooming further east. So our campgroud time will unfortunately be limited. Never-the-less it would be nice to camp with other geocachers. The campgrounds recommended so far are:

1) There is camping at Portage Lakes State Park which is kind of near the event site (And close to another cluster of caches).

2) There is Tamsin Park which is located just east of Cuyahoga Valley National PArk on Old Rte 8 (Akron-Cleveland Road)

3) Brunswick Lake Recreation Campgrounds which would be about 5 miles west of the event.

4) http://www.claremar.com/ It's a little west of Medina. It's $20 a night for two adults, electricity $3. They seem to have a policy of no reservations except holiday weekends.

5) http://www.pier-lonpark.com/. Near Medina. Their website is a year out of

date but they are definitely there and promoting Christian family values vacations.

The last three of the most interest to us since they are on the west side of the event and we will be coming in from the west.

The COG Columbus Crazies Camping Confluence/Collision will be at Site 22 at Portage Lakes SP. Easy access and not too expensive. We've got 6 people reserved and only 3-5 are accounted for.

I believe that Larry and Hootie will both be there. It'll be a Hamster Hoot!