Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
Insp Gadget

Kenwood Th-d7ag

Has anyone used this radio? I was reading a bit about it and really like the idea that it automatically transmits my position.

just an fyi - you'll need to attach it to a GPSr to in order to do this. It doesn't have any gps capabilities built in, just the interface necessary

Yes, I was aware of this, but thanks for pointing it out. I should have been clearer in my original post.

Are there any other radios like this Kenwood that do basically the same thing? I'm just starting out, but it looks like Kenwood is a lot more expensive than the other brands.

nope, Kenwood is the only one with built in TNC that I'm aware of. They have the handheld you pointed out and a mobile.

Otherwise, you're looking at adding hardware to a ham/gps setup. The tiny trak is quite small http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/ and lets you do basically the same thing

Edited by _mo_

Alinco has mobile rigs with TNCs built-in, both single and dual band.

Alinco

You will find these to be less expensive than Kenwood.

Alinco has mobile rigs with TNCs built-in, both single and dual band.

Alinco

You will find these to be less expensive than Kenwood.

Do they have an APRS ready HT?

I only found two mobiles that you could equip with an optional module. Using AES prices as reference, the single band DR-135T is cheaper but got a lower rating on eHam. The Dual band DR-620 came within $25 but the Kenwood seems to have a much better display in that it can do some basic APRS without an external computer.

At Field Day, this was on my list of topics to get Elmered on.

The Kenwoods are the only brand that the APRS people here use. If you talk with many of them, they like the radios, but they don't like the mobile unit.

The mobile works fine, but the dual band capability is lost when using APRS as one of the bands is used up by the APRS transmitter. The comment about the dual band without APRS being just as good was heard from several of them. Several Kenwood users tell me that they shut off their APRS most of the time so they can get the dual band function.

Having the TNC built in the radio is nice, but if you are are just setting up a transmitter, get the Tiny Trak3. Hook a GPS to it and it to any radio, and it will report position. YOu can track from another location with a computer on internet or computer/TNC/Radio.

A fellow club member demo the Tiny Trak3 at Field Day and it works great, and cheap....$36 for the kit.

Having the TNC built in the radio is nice, but if you are are just setting up a transmitter, get the Tiny Trak3.

The operative word here being transmitter. It can't receive or do packet at all. Don't get me wrong, it has it's place, but it's no replacement for a full featured unit.

I use a Kenwood TM-D700a

See Me Here

great radio, i only use 70cm anymore anyways, so when im in the car other band is used for aprs..

KF6JAX

Edited by bd_chris

:( KD5RTL :D

I use the TH-D7AG and the TM-D700. I enjoy both rigs. Make a couple of menu changes, hook a GPS to it and your running APRS. Attach a pc with UI-View to this setup and track other APRS rigs on the map.

I suggest both rigs to anyone looking to buy with APRS in mind.

Has anyone used this radio? I was reading a bit about it and really like the idea that it automatically transmits my position.

I'm wondering why one of the radio makers hasn't jumped all over this, 2 meters, TNC, and GPS all in a handii...... Maybe Garmin will beat them to the punch just like the Rino radios they already make..... :laughing:

I'm wondering why one of the radio makers hasn't jumped all over this, 2 meters, TNC, and GPS all in a handii......

Maybe because the guys who make good radios don't make GPS. And the other way is true too. Also, the main radio guys are not US companies. I've noticed that virtually all the GPS units seem to be from US companies. Possibly a licensing or information disclosure thing. When I was in Japan the only portable GPS I was Garmin - at almost double the U.S. street price!

I have a TH-D7G, and cant seem to get my Magellan to "talk" to it. Can anyone out here help? I have checked the cables more then once, cheked the setting on the GPS and RADIO but not sure it there right. Can YOU tell me what your setup is?

There may be differences in the NMEA setting on your GPS and the one expected by the radio. Have you checked to be sure that the NMEA output from your GPS is what the radio wants?

Have you checked to be sure that the NMEA output from your GPS is what the radio wants?

I have looked at the manual for the GpS and RADIO and have found nothing that really explains it in detail, or Im just missing somehting...

I use APRS while geocaching all the time! I enjoy it very much. I send messages to people that are close by just to chat and have met a few local hams that way. I have an older Garmin (the III plus) and a TH-D7A (the kenwood handheld). I made a cable to connect them from the cable that came with the Kenwood and the cable that I ordered from Garmin that had power, the NMEA connector, and bare power wires. I cut up another Garmin Car Power Adapter cable to connect in for power but haven't soldered that one in yet.

I'm relatively active on APRS and 2m. I like having the radio with me and I'm starting some software projects for the Garmin. I've made a "tech pack" for the radio and GPS out of an old small sandwich cooler.

-Abraxas3d

steak, hookup your gps to a computer and use hyperterminal to see if it's putting out data. or if you have a mapping program, run it with that to see if it receives from the gps.

just got my kenwood th-d7 and I'm trying to get my garmin etrex to talk to it. I know the etrex works because I've done the tests I just recommended above. Also the d7 should send waypoints out to the gps.

I'm currently playing with packet on my d7ag, it's hooked to my laptop. Connecting to nodes and clusters, basically goofing off and familiarizing myself with it.

I did open a port with WinPack to the d7ag for monitoring, observed about 20 different hams reporting location. Heck, some of the text even made sense.

I did have to make sure that the GPS was set to NMEA In/NMEA Out. It transfers data at 4800 baud.

Tried the simple "Plug the GPS in to the d7ag" but there is more setup required than simply plugging and playing. I'm reading about it right now. Part of the difficulty is that I sent my d7a in to Kenwood to have it upgraded to the d7ag hardware, none of the documentation I've found itemizes settings - the menus have changed since the upgrade.

I'll let you know what I find. Watching thread with interest.

Todd - K7PKT

Edited by Cadence

I'm considering buying the TH-D7AG from Universal Radio since those seem to be significantly cheaper out there than here in Europe (typical price $598.79/475 eur). Right now I'm just sending static APRS packets with aprsd with my home Linux box, no radio connected to that yet.

What kind of power adapter comes along with the USA version? Is it universal (capable of 230 V) or US only? Do you have any suggestions where I would want to order the rig from? Any other comments?

I know already that occupying the over wide TX would be acceptable from legal point of view here in Finland, even as our 2 m and 70 cm bands are significantly narrower (144-146 MHz and 432-438 MHz) than what the standard TH-D7AG has. Do you really have 20 MHz wide 70 cm band? <_<

Edited by solarflare

Greetings!

The 70cm band goes from 420MHz-450MHz here in the US. In my area it's happily underused. Makes for great simplex chats.

The power charger unit that came with the radio is set for 110, but I'm sure that they have an adapter for it for sale.

The D7A is the American version, while the D7E is the European.

Just wanted to emphasize that the TNC for this radio is VERY Minimalistic and just satisfies the necessary commands and AX.25 protocols to utilize for packet. I do know that there is a way to get the D7A into KISS mode - something necessary for my current learning regarding WinLink2000. One kind gent happened to hook it up to his Linux laptop at a digital meeting we had and successfully got it to be a dumb terminal.

I can contact him and ask how he did it if anyone is interested.

OddTodd - K7PKT

Just wanted to emphasize that the TNC for this radio is VERY Minimalistic and just satisfies the necessary commands and AX.25 protocols to utilize for packet.  I do know that there is a way to get the D7A into KISS mode --- --- --- I can contact him and ask how he did it if anyone is interested.

Did the KISS-mode hack involve rewriting the flash memory? Sounds interesting anyway. I remember something that the flow control wires were more or less modest in the first versions of the TH-D7, so didn't even thought of using it as a real KISS TNC. It would be handy anyway when travelling away in the country side. We've a declining AX.25 network anyway here in Finland, but still strong nationwide support for APRS and 44/8 TCP/IP network at selected localities.

Has there been new revisions of the APRS firmware anyway? I think it would be very usable if it could be upgaded to add the OpenTRAC compatibility too. After all, it has been thought of much greater detail in beforehand than APRS protocol. And as such will hopefully replace APRS as soon as possible.

Actually it looks as tho it's as simple as sending KISS ON (off is default) and sending a reset. If you power off the radio and turn it back on everything except MYCALL is reset.

This has an older TASCO TNC, and is not as neat as the newer TNC's as far as KISS mode is concerned. OpenTrac looks to use KISS - this is just at first glance. I don't know that I would be able to use the D7A for much beyond APRS and simple Packet.

OddTodd - K7PKT

just an fyi - you'll need to attach it to a GPSr to in order to do this. It doesn't have any gps capabilities built in, just the interface necessary

Actually, you can manually enter a static location and have the radio transmit that without having a GPSr connected.

I bought my THD7 at Hamvention and use is with the Magellan Sportrac Map. Works great!

I made a cable from instructions I found in the internet via google.com. The instructions in the user manual are misleading. If your cable does not work, try reversing the send/receive pair and give that a shot.

You can also buy a cable on ebay for $10 or so that is custom made to your GPSr.

The free programming software from kenwood makes setting up for APRS as well as general operation a snap.

I highly recommend this radio to anyone interested in getting started in APRS.

Tim, KD5ING