Top 5 Ultimate Caches To Do Before You Die?!?

Hi folks -

I am writing an essay/article for publication on new and innovative ways people are exploring landscapes and places. I have been geocaching for over 3 years so of course I am writing about the sport in my work.

However, I am especially interested in difficult and/or creative multi-stage caches (either physically, mentally. or both!) I would love to hear from anyone and everyone on their top 5 all-time most difficult cache experiences. There is room for some ego here...so if you feel like that you have created one that would rank at the top of the list, please let me know.

Like many outdoor magazines always have "The Top 20 Ultimate Hikes to Do in Your Lifetime" or "The Top 10 Destinations" ...think of this as "The Top 5 Ultimate Caches To Do Before You Die!" Oh and you can also vote on a hellacious cache that you have read or heard about but have never done yourself!

Looking forward to your responses!

Wanderlust

Thanks Team Tigger!

Ahhh yes...Tube Torcher is a doozy! :mad: Laughing Moon and I were the first to find it! I took off from a day of work to do it! It took all day! The 2 guys who are the sick minds behind it are both good friends of mine.....we have always talked about having a sequel...hmmm? But you know how sequels go...they are rarely as good as the original! :huh:

The 2nd cache you posted seems very unique and interesting! Thanks for the assistance!

Wanderlust

Hi Wanderlust. Good to see you back around. I really don't have a top 5 in mind, but TT would be one of them since I only live a couple hours away. Really, anything in the western NC mountains is on my list, but I especially appreciate those placed by the early cachers in the area like you and Laughing Moon, Crotalusrex, Ltljon, Spyder, Mag315 and many others who live and work in these hills. Just wanted to say thank you. OJC

Since it is a local cache Earth Wind, Fire, and Water isn't really on this list for me, but may should be for others. I plan on finding it before the end of summer; right now it's more of a scheduling issue. :mad: It was inspired by Tube Torcher.

I just found out last night that there is a chance of visiting Malaysia next year. Since this may be a once in a lifetime trip any of the 40 caches there would qualify but I'll list End of the World as my choice.

I hope this thread continues for a while. I'll add to my list if it does.

PS I agree with BS that any Tahosa cache is a worthy goal too.

Top five lists are tough for me. I'd say that at any given time, the top five for me are the the top five on my "closest to me, but haven't found" list.

Gasping for Air, although just a virtual, is on my list for top five out of my own area. It only has two finds. Hopefully, my boys and I will be the third finders of it when we camp in the area almost two years to the day of its placement.

One that sticks in my memory is SesquiTrivia in Columbia, SC. This cache took quite a bit of time and effort to set up. Basically, it has cards with questions on them for the stages throughout the park. Each question has three possible answers, with each answer having a set of coordinates. Very enjoyable cahche that really tests your knowledge of Geocaching and the GPS.

My favorite local cache is called Turtle Trek 3. As the cache hider will tell you, it's less than a mile from the car to the cache. It's just the hardest mile you'll ever walk. Very well laid out cache which really gets the blood moving.

Another local cache: Making the Connection, requires one to use a phone and call for clues. The owner had to set up roughly 20 voice mail-boxes for the cache. It's really neat, and accessible to those who can't do the hikes up the side of our local mountains. To top off this cache , the final is near the business he owns, so he can watch you looking for the cache... ;)

Top of mine is the only cache in Ethiopia. It's called Erta Ale Volcano. It's a volcano cashe by a volcanic lake. You really need to see the pictures on the info page. AMAZING. Basically you need to be on an exploration team to actually get to the cache. Two people have found it. Double 5's!

Here's the info. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...cb-23421a06bcaa

Lovely.

Tube Torcher is top of my list. I'd also like to be able to say I've done Erta Ale Volcano, but I'll never have the resources (time, money, experience, and guts) to do it.

But most of my dream caches aren't on such a grand scale. Being from Michigan, I just want to do some good-long-hike-in-the-mountains caches. I was thrilled to finally do Polly Takes the Plunge and Scattered Remains last month -- they were personal goals for a long time.

I'd like to do some of Zartimus' also.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Here are a few that have been discussed quite a bit on some of the forums! They all rank highly on my epic must-do list!!

Gokyo Ri

Quantum Leap

Blood and Guts in Virginia (aka Iron and Stone)

Gokyo Ri is high in the mountains of Nepal, Quantum Leap logs read like a tangled and twisted novel, and Iron and Stone just makes my head hurt to even contemplate what some of those poor cachers went through to succeed! Kudos to all of those who have found the above caches!

Keep em rollin folks...I am making a heck of a compilation that I will share and distribute at a later date!

Thanks for all of you input!

Wanderlust

Hmm by the time I accomplish the Top 5 list before I die it'll have changed. I don't plan on dying for a good 70 yrs or so. It probably be more pratical to do all the caches in a province/state or country then try to keep on top of an ever changing Top 5 list.

Thorin

It probably be more pratical to do all the caches in a province/state or country then try to keep on top of an ever changing Top 5 List.

Sure Thorin, I agree. However, when you live in a state as active as NC, you might as well think that you have a greater chance to descend into the crater of an Ethiopian volcano than to successfully find all of the caches in this state! :bad: It is hard to keep up these days now thatgeocacihng is more of the mainstream light these days.

It is good fun to give recognition to those twisted cachers who have gone above and beyond the call of duty to create epic caches!

Cheers!

Wanderlust

I haven't found very many caches, but of the ones I have found my favorite cache to find was the Virgin Falls Cache. It is on about a 6 mile hike. There are 3 waterfalls and at least 4 caves that I know of, possibly more. Virgin Falls is where a creek comes out of a cave travels about 30 yards then drops 110 feet over a falls. The water hits the rocks at the bottom and then dissappears underground. One of the other falls is Big Laurel Falls. The water goes over about a 50 foot falls. After hitting the ground, the water reverses direction and goes back behind the waterfall about 100 feet and then goes underground. The cache is located close to Virgin Falls.

Because of their reputation and my desire to hike in the Rocky Mtns again before I go to the "big ammo box in the sky", I'd like to find any 5 of Tahosa's mtn caches.

Thank you. Brian maybe you can be the FTF when ever I get the ratio is 4:1 Cache done. Now you might ask what is a ratio cache, well it's a cache that is just waiting to be created. Stay posted and it will be out soon.

I have a visiting Cacher out here from IOWA and I get to take him into the hills this weekend, and he will get the grand tour.

the mother of all caches in s.c. a series of 4 multi's that carry you through each of the major landforms and drainages in s.c. each builds on the others to reach the final- the big kahuna. definitely requires a big investment of time and effort. the prizes at the end are definitely not mctoys! loved it. tt and sissy's snarky walk are on my to do list. enjoying the listing. -harry