Personal Waypoint/private Cache

Mechanics Hands

I have heard many people buy a personal TB just to help track thier caching mileage and to see where they have gone. I was wondering, to help keep a more accurate count and be tracked is there a way to create a personal waypoint or private cache to log them into. It could be set up as your home or someplace nearby then you could log it into the various caches you visit that day then upon your return place it into the waypoint/personal cache. Then the TB would track accurately the mileage and give a better map showing where its been.

Does this sound silly or a good idea or a feature already in place?

Thanks

MH

I have heard many people buy a personal TB just to help track thier caching mileage and to see where they have gone. I was wondering, to help keep a more accurate count and be tracked is there a way to create a personal waypoint or private cache to log them into. It could be set up as your home or someplace nearby then you could log it into the various caches you visit that day then upon your return place it into the waypoint/personal cache. Then the TB would track accurately the mileage and give a better map showing where its been.

Does this sound silly or a good idea or a feature already in place?

Thanks

MH

Don't you really just want to track your caches...cache to cache? Here, check out mine: Reptar Personal Travel Bug it's got over 33,000 miles on it, cache-to-cache. What I do, is just log the TB into a cache, then grab it back. After I log it into the next cache, I delete the grab log from the previous drop. Always leaving the latest grab log. So, now you have a record of all your caches, and the distance between them.

It's one way of doing it without having the extra mileage of going back to a homebase.

Hope this stimulates some thought on the subject,

JayBee

It's not a silly problem at all. A lot of people have a personal travel bug and track their caches exactly like that. The problem they all face is that when they go home there is no cache there to "Park the bug in" Some people only care to track caches, others want to track caches and milage as close as they can get it.

The only real soltuion at present is to have a cache with your home coordinates on it to park your bug in when you come home. I don't think the cache has to be active to log bugs in and out of it since I've placed bugs in caches before they are approved. Thus you could have a cache that is yours but not in the approval que for listing that you use for this purpose. You could even be creative and call it "Garage"

Edited by Renegade Knight

The only real soltuion at present is to have a cache with your home coordinates on it to park your bug in when you come home. I don't think the cache has to be active to log bugs in and out of it since I've placed bugs in caches before they are approved. Thus you could have a cache that is yours but not in the approval que for listing that you use for this purpose. You could even be creative and call it "Garage"

Renagade Knight...Sounds like a great idea. How can you make a cache without getting it in the approval que?

Pat

Pandoraa, NO, STOP, how many times have I told you not to bring that up.

This is a fine idea. I did this last march for my own personal travel bug. I wanted to track actual milage (and gas expense) and since return trips back home after caching are nearly half of the trip, I wanted to track those miles too. It has worked just fine.

Before setting up my homebase cache I worked with my local cache approver. I sent a very detailed email message explaining my purpose and that it would be just a homebase for a personal TB. The approver was great to work with and approved the cache and then immediatly archived it so that it wouldn't appear as a new cache available to the rest of the caching community. Each time I log the TB with just a note not a "cache found" because I don't want to mix up my find numbers either.

Hope this helps.

Kirk out. aka Search1128

Mechanic,

Yes, to both of your questions.

So far we have traveled over 2400 miles since we started caching a year ago. At about 20 miles per gallon that comes to 120 gallons of gas, and at 1.75 per gallon this past year as an average, that comes to 210 bucks spent on gas alone just for geocaching. Wow! that is a lot of money. oh well. It is fun for the kids and family.

Good luck.

Kirk out.

I do this exact thing also. I have an actual findable cache just a few blocks from my house and I also have a puzzle cache with the listed coordinates (not the actual cache coordinates) being my house. Either of these allows an accurate milage count as you desire and also creates real caches for others to hunt.