After Dark

bumblingbs

I had so much fun planning my event cache, I'm thinking about doing another. It would be MONTHS away, I'm a slow thinker, but this is my question~

A couple from Whidbey Island has offered to help me plan Spookfest, which would be sometime around Halloween. It would involve, at least in part, an outdoor night caching experience.

A lot of people who came to my last cache came from a distance away. Would people be willing to do the drive at a time of year when it gets dark around 2 o'clock in the afternoon? :D Or would it be better to stick to a daylight experience. Would you be willing to wear costumes? Anything else ridiculous you'd be willing to do? <_<

Just trying to decide between something like Spookfest, or maybe a daytime Magical Mystery Tour or....

Thanks for your input.

Mrs. B.

I had so much fun planning my event cache, I'm thinking about doing another. It would be MONTHS away, I'm a slow thinker, but this is my question~

A couple from Whidbey Island has offered to help me plan Spookfest, which would be sometime around Halloween. It would involve, at least in part, an outdoor night caching experience.

A lot of people who came to my last cache came from a distance away. Would people be willing to do the drive at a time of year when it gets dark around 2 o'clock in the afternoon? :D Or would it be better to stick to a daylight experience. Would you be willing to wear costumes? Anything else ridiculous you'd be willing to do? <_<

Just trying to decide between something like Spookfest, or maybe a daytime Magical Mystery Tour or....

Thanks for your input.

Mrs. B.

Count me in!

Ferries from Whidbey to the mainland end at around midnight, so some folks might actually go home after the event. However, ferries to the peninsula end at about 8 pm, so unless this would be an all-night event, there would have to be camping facilities.

An all-night event, culminating at a daybreak breakfast, is a great idea. I could imagine a bakery in Coupeville opening that early, or in Langley...

I suggest you don't pick Halloween, in order to avoid conflicting commitments.

Oops! I didn't make myself clear! My volunteer helpers are from Whidbey, (if they're still interested), but if there was a Spookfest it would be right here in Port Townsend. It would start when it got dark with a night cache in the woods (with perhaps some surprises) and afterwards we would head to a restaurant/pub, whatever. But, would people from, say, Seattle want to tackle the somewhat winding road that would take them back to the ferry in the dark, after dinner/drinks, or would it be kinder and safer to plan an autumn event in the daylight?

Oops! I didn't make myself clear! My volunteer helpers are from Whidbey, (if they're still interested), but if there was a Spookfest it would be right here in Port Townsend. It would start when it got dark with a night cache in the woods (with perhaps some surprises) and afterwards we would head to a restaurant/pub, whatever. But, would people from, say, Seattle want to tackle the somewhat winding road that would take them back to the ferry in the dark, after dinner/drinks, or would it be kinder and safer to plan an autumn event in the daylight?

I don't know if you know, but after last week's event, one fellow cacher left in time for the last ferry from either Kingston or Edmonds, but then he got stuck at an overnight Hood Canal Bridge opening, and he missed out on either ferry. He and his family had to sleep in the car until next morning.

I believe an all-night event (which could be towards the end of summer recess) would be great, for kids and grown-ups alike.

I hadn't realized that the bridge would be closed from 11-1 that night, but since the event ended around 8, most people were long gone. I'm really!! sorry to hear about you being stuck! :D You guys should have come back, I have a small spare bedroom plus extra sleeping bags!

A camping event is not what I feel inspired to plan, although camping would possibly be an option for those who wanted to. I mean, camping events are great, but I want to concentrate on, uh, silly things again. Seems to maybe be my niche. <_< And, I'm thinking October, which always has a fair chance of wind/rain. I'll probably be sleeping in my own warm bed.

So, back to the original question-would those from a ways away venture this far for an event that would require the drive home in the dark, or prefer a daylight event?

My three ideas are

1) Spookfest

2) Magical Mystery Tour

3) some sort of secret agent/ spy thing

I'll bow to public opinion and start planning (daydreaming)

Edited by bumblingbs

WooHoo!!! Another Port Townsend and B's event!

With the awesome location and the creativity and hospitality of the local cachers, we'd gladly spend a week sleeping in the car to join in the fun.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Mrs K would prefer that costumes be optional, rather than required.

I suppose we should have been louder when we announced the bridge closure at the beginning of the Romp. Personally, I have trouble thinking of a better place to be stranded.

Thanks for giving us a reason to look forward to the end of summer.

It's on the calendar. All we need is the date!

After dark and spooky, of course!

My preference too!

Talking about spooky, kfam: before I deciphered your avatar, it looked like a closeup of a mouth full of sharp teeth. "The place to be" struck me as very funny.

After dark aaaand spooky? Khewl! I'll be dressed for the part. <_<

My preference too!

Talking about spooky, kfam: before I deciphered your avatar, it looked like a closeup of a mouth full of sharp teeth. "The place to be" struck me as very funny.

After dark aaaand spooky? Khewl! I'll be dressed for the part. :mad:

Dress up like your avatar. Now That's spooky!

My preference too!

After dark aaaand spooky? Khewl! I'll be dressed for the part. :mad:

Dress up like your avatar. Now That's spooky!

I have thought of it, but it takes time to build the bust. Something I seem to be short on these days.

I vote for the after-dark Spooky! Although I have thought of going night-caching here in the Vancouver area, there are too many scary people around here to feel safe creeping around in the woods by myself, even with Scooter the Wonder Dog nearby.

I would bring my RV over and spend at least that night before heading home, so the time of day is not a problem for me.

HC

My preference too!

:ph34r: But Shunra.... it is teeth!

Honey Puppy is just trying to show that she is not going to take Chloe's sassy mouth again if she runs into her at next event!

I think this would be lots of fun. We couldn't come if it was on Halloween though, we have kids who might object to missing out on trick-or-treating. :ph34r:

We're sorry we missed the PT event a couple of weeks ago. We wanted to come but we had already planned a camping trip. Sounds like it was a huge hit.

I think this would be lots of fun. We couldn't come if it was on Halloween though, we have kids who might object to missing out on trick-or-treating.  :laughing:

Seems like I can make it as spooky as I want to, and not scare your kids. If I remember correctly, they've been to places like Futility, and Valley of Despair....

I think this would be lots of fun. We couldn't come if it was on Halloween though, we have kids who might object to missing out on trick-or-treating.  <_<

Seems like I can make it as spooky as I want to, and not scare your kids. If I remember correctly, they've been to places like Futility, and Valley of Despair....

You know what? That might be a good location for a spooky event :laughing:

Oh, Lord, Futility was much, much worse.

I might come up with something different from head high nettles and thigh deep rabbit holes for Spookfest. We'll scare you in a civilized manner. (Well, unless I can get the 500 pounds of orange jello trucked in......)

The girls are all pumped up for a spooky event but if it's held at the Valley of Despair we could have a mutiny on our hands! That's one scary place!

For the last few months I have been in the process of preparing a night cache for those woods.

I just need to get out there and get it done!

For the last few months I have been in the process of preparing a night cache for those woods.

I just need to get out there and get it done!

I don't know why, but those woods have always spooked my GPSr-it gets all nervous and jittery and won't settle down. From the Eggspedition to Can You Find This to Despair, all the same thing. I don't know if it would be willing to go with me at night!

Well we don't much care if you make it an evening event or start in the afternoon. The more time we get to spend with all of you the better! B)

I know this is early but I might as well ask these questions now so Mrs. B can possibly plan better.

? I see that Halloween is on a Sunday. Some people with kids are expresssing that the kids don't want to miss T&T'ing, which is understandable. Are you thinking maybe Saturday the 30th?

? I noticed that Sat/Sun is Daylights savings. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything, just that we get an extra hour of sleep.

? I know the ferry schedule changes with the seasons. How late do they run in the fall? Is is like summer?

? Are there any parks over there that would take a motorhome that time of year?

Like I said... I know this is kind of early but I just thought I'd throw out a couple questions I had going on in my mind.

Costumes: I think it should be an option. I know MR and I have done simple things, like just putting on a funny hat or wig. It can get you in that Halloween spirit and is kind of fun. It doesn't have to be elaborate unless you want it to be!

I would love to see Mrs. B dressed up! You too Shunra! :)

Wow, Wienerdog!

I've been trying to get my mind focused on this event, and so far I have very few bright ideas. Good thing its a ways away. I'll look into your specific questions, and make up (I mean, get official) answers soon.

I would say costumes optional, the date could be October 23 so it doesn't run into Halloween at all, or the 30th.

Edited by bumblingbs

? I noticed that Sat/Sun is Daylights savings. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything, just that we get an extra hour of sleep

? Are there any parks over there that would take a motorhome that time of year?

An extra hour of time is a very good thing. It might make the 30th more do-able. I would feel less ridiculous wearing a costume to a restaurant on the 30th, as opposed to the 23rd, but my threshold for ability to withstand personal embarrasment has been rapidly going down, so I suppose that doesn't really matter.

I'll check into ferries and camping, but at worst you could park in my driveway. Or, if you're completely self contained, the park and ride permits 24 hour parking.

Now, back to the orange jello and 1,000 trained bats.....

I don't know why, but those woods have always spooked my GPSr-it gets all nervous and jittery and won't settle down.

That's because of all the angry spirits in those woods. :)

Angry because they can't find the caches? I'll give them a hint, if they'll leave my GPSr alone! I'll even make it un-en-CRYPT-ed. (Get it? ha ha!)

Mrs. Shop99er here....and the head Hallowiener of the family. ;)

I agree with a date of the 23rd of Oct instead of Halloween weekend. I have my own haunted yard I run for the TOTers on the 31st and I know there will be local parties on the Friday and Saturday before.

The caching after dark wouldn't be my idea of fun but only because I'm not familiar with the area. And there's the added attraction that the Mr. broke his back a few years ago and is seriously schoochy about where he places his feet and avoids anything that might cause him to fall.

I'm totally in with costumes. It's what makes Halloween HALLOWEEN!...well, that and making little children pee their pants and cry! Maybe a series of quick special caches done in the daylight/early twilight hours in costume and out in public! First one back with all the caches wins a severed hand! Get the coordinates at the event and not before. Everyone must be back by a certain time with or without all the caches.

The only other thing I'd be concerned about is accomodations. If we had a list of hotels in the area with reasonable prices I'd be more than willing and feel better about, since we're in the Port Orchard area, staying in Port Townsend overnight for the event!

Mrs. shop99er....also known as the shop99er geocaching point dog....

Well not mine, but I've got this cute frog costume that I'm going to put an antenna on so that Lil' Lost One can go as Signal.

I might go as an ammo can, unless my prayers are answered and then I can go as a micro. ;)

B) I just noticed those are frogs on your avatar! Cute.

I just had a thought. Since you want to go as a cache.... why don't you wrap yourself in silk ivy and attach a bison! We could search for it and sign the log B)

Do you know of anybody that would approve that cache? B)

Jon... what do you think?

PS Should I have posted this is that "sillieness" thread? B)

:mad: BUMP

Everyone got their costumes picked out? :P:P:mad:

I am going to go as a Dog's best freind-toy. No not the toy you want the dog to play with that you just spent $10 on at the pet store. I will be going as a Shoe! You know Dogs love to run off with your shoes! This was I wount just be some old heal, I'll show you all I have a little SOLE! :lol: