Avoiding Conspicuous Behavior

Thot

There’s a microcache in my area in a VERY public and heavily trafficked location (in geocaching terms, lots of Muggles) . I have never seen this area when there were less than maybe 30 people within 60 feet. Also, I’ll appear very odd/conspicuous walking around this location looking at a GPS.

How should this situation be handled to avoid drawing a lot of attention to the cache and its location?

I cache with my husband which helps make me less conspicuous (we can wander and chat, hold hands, etc. and just look like we're on a date). Sometimes I take one of my earrings off and put it in my pocket then pretend to look for it. It helps, too...if alone to check your watch and look around every once in awhile if you feel like you're being watched. I find it gives the idea that you're waiting for someone.

what they all said is so true, just relax and go about your business, for the most part, people won't stare at you long enough to think much of it. If they do, you will probably notice it.

I personally scan the situation from a little ways off, to figure who, if anyone, I need to shield my behavior from, to prevent revealing the cache itself. Then I proceed if possible. Other bodies for shielding are a major plus in a busy zone. People are even less likely to look closely at 2 people standing close together. <_<

I've read in the forums that some cachers carry a clipboard with them. They may also wear a shirt or hat with a logo on it, or a hard hat. If you look semi "official" and look like you know what you are doing, most people will assume that you belong there and stay out of your way.

Sort of like the cache placed by Criminal that was mounted in a box in a very public place. He stenciled on the box:

United States Geocache

Site Logging Station

Do Not Disturb

If you look like you belong there on official business, everyone will assume that you are.

Edited to correct the text on the box and add link w/ pic:

Here

Edited by 2Est8Attys

Today I was standing on a trail in a Seattle park. I had been having some trouble finding a cache and was just looking the area over since it had to be close. I had on my olive drab vest with my GPSr hanging on my belt under the vest and right next to my cell phone. I did not have a clipboard or anything else in my hand. A woman walking a pair of dogs comes by and asks me if I work for the park. I guess I looked just official enough with the vest on.

I pretend to tie my shoes when I'm looking for magnetic micros in parks. I have seriously considered getting an orange vest to look "official" for some caches. Another great time to cache is 0500 to 0630 hours on the weekend. You can tell hikers that your GPS is a telemetry device for tracking animals (Team PerkyPerks trick).

Was in a park taking readings for a cache I wanted to place. Some teens came by and wanted to know what the gadget did. So I hatched a story of checking out the GPS signals in the area and measuring how accurate they were.

I also tend to wear my company ID hung from the belt. They can't really read the company name but it seems to lend some officialdom to it. Once walked right through a police action (didn't realize 'til I was half-way through) with only a side glance from the main guards. Probably thought I was the upgraded version of that guy, "Can you hear me now?" :blink:

It depends on the location. Sometime binouculars work they think your a bird watcher. One time I was trying to nag a cache under a mailbox by a bank window accross from a bus station, I just droped some coins by the mail box and got the cache while picking them up, this has work quite a few times for me around benches and other places. Sometimes you just to go late at night like 2AM.

I often have my kids with me and trying to avoid being conspicuous is not easy. In fact most ignore us as if we are looking for a lost toy, bug or something.

I think having the kids are a plus. They can do stupid things like rolling over rocks, looking under tables, crawling on their hands and knees and it looks normal :P

Yip the london caches are pretty fun once you get the hang of them, having kids around would he a good way of getting people off hiding places.

Having recently spent 4 weekends in a row in London i have totally desensitised myself to what others think, you just get on it and develop weird and wonderful techiques to aviod attracting attention, the most efictive is prentending you have lost something. Would recommend the Kensington and Hyde Park series as well as the Sherlocks, but that might be a bit much for one day.

Have fun!!

I've read in the forums that some cachers carry a clipboard with them. They may also wear a shirt or hat with a logo on it, or a hard hat. If you look semi "official" and look like you know what you are doing, most people will assume that you belong there and stay out of your way.

If you do that there's always a danger that you might be mistaken for one of these guys. :P

vp-current.jpg

There’s a microcache in my area in a VERY public and heavily trafficked location (in geocaching terms, lots of Muggles) . I have never seen this area when there were less than maybe 30 people within 60 feet. Also, I’ll appear very odd/conspicuous walking around this location looking at a GPS.

Here is what I use to shag mugglers in high traffic areas. It does work well!

1) http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/337fb...623c2fcde64.jpg

2) http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/displ...0e2d6fdbb5a.jpg

:P

Edited by strikeforce1

I'm new to the sport and already/still have a bit of anxiety about looking around for caches in heavily trafficked areas. Not because of being conspicuous, but because I don't want someone whose NOT geocaching to find/loot/vandalize/steal it because of me. I've been near a few now and have just given a cursory look and moved on (feeling like a total loser cuz I couldn't actually spend any time really looking) because of the people around me. Anyone have experiences with people stealing/vandalizing/looting caches?

One time I was trying to nag a cache under a mailbox by a bank window accross from a bus station, I just droped some coins by the mail box and got the cache while picking them up, this has work quite a few times for me around benches and other places. Sometimes you just to go late at night like 2AM.

I'm pretty sure that's the same cache where I dropped a couple of letters to "mail" on the ground and snagged the cache (and replaced it) the same way. Santa Rosa, right? :D -Ken

Has anyone thought about simply saying: "hey, I'm geocaching!" Share the fun.

Yes! That's what I will do if someone asks.

On the other hand, aren't geocachers playful people? Remember how exciting it was sneaking through the "woods", not being discovered by your mates in different games?

This is the mature way of taking care of the playful me :D

While searching for a well hidden micro the other day, the hair on the back of my neck starting rising and I noticed two people about 200 feet away staring at me. I did the right thing and (after signing the log and rehiding the cache) walked up to them and explained what I was doing. They thought I was looking for a "dope stash" . I have a "high and tight" hair cut and I'm the last person on earth thatwould be looking for a "dope stash."

After explaining what I was doing, they looked relieved and somewhat interested in the sport. I did not show them the cache though. They would never find it anyway.

Edited by Kit Fox
I'm looking forward to go geocaching in London next week. The two teenagers I bring along are not at all interested, however they will enjoy drawing all attention away from me as they both would love to do some acting in public.

Get naked, the shy englishmen will look the other way. :(

I'm looking forward to go geocaching in London next week. The two teenagers I bring along are not at all interested, however they will enjoy drawing all attention away from me as they both would love to do some acting in public.

:(

Get naked, the shy englishmen will look the other way. :P

:D

They might deny me to ever return to London that I love, and will anyone welcome me home??? What if Sweden is my only alternative afterwards??

I've got to ask...

Since you're saying that there's always people within a few feet of the cache, then why do you need to take your gps? Most micros in high traffic areas if you look at the cache page and read the clue then you'll know exactly what you're going to look for and where - which means no GPSr to look suspicious with. If anyone says anything, you have two choices. Either admit what you're doing or make up a story.

Making up stories is usually easier.

Have several cover stories.

One is: I am from the oil company and I am surveying this area for a toxic waste dump.

Another: [flash some 'official' looking ID] Department of Homeland Security. Some suspicious people have been seen in this area carrying GPS devices. I am just checking it out.

:unsure::)

My cover story so far has been "I'm testing one of those satellite navigation thingies." Which is, of course, quite true. I flash 'em the GPS with the map showing, it seems to mollify them. How you'd test a GPS by stumbling around staring at it is anyone's guess.

I think what I'm going to do in future, though, is print out some benchmark locations in the same area as caches. I've got a hunch people who would be annoyed at the idea of skulking strangers hiding tupperware in the vacant lot next door are okay with the idea of lean, sunburned civil servants bravely planting geonautitical doohickies across this great land for our common welfare. After all, it's the gubmint. And me, I'm just a plain citizen whose hobby is scuttling around in the shadow of those who came before, checking to make sure the markers are still there.

Then, if I get stumped on the cache, I can get my serotonin rush by actually finding a benchmark or two.

I dunno... I always feel conspicuous, like I'm wandering around in a raincoat and fedora, AKA Humprey Bogart. My wife is better at being unconcerned, but I always feel like I'm doing something illicit.

When I do find the cache, rather than reading the log to see who else has been there I quickly scribble something in the log and quickly re-hide it, even on really remote hides, just in case someone might come along.

Oh well, I guess it just adds to the thrill! ^_^

The only time I use subterfuge is when I am putting one back into hiding. I have introduced several people to geocaching by explaining what I am looking for, but then, I live in an area that is a pretty friendly place. I have, on a couple of occasions, replaced a cache and then went off a distance to see if anyone rushed in to check it out.