Unreasonable Cache Owner?

I have found a way around this. I don't post my finds on GC.com. I just enjoy caching. If its a cool cache I might leave a note on the cache page but usually never a smiley. I find that many of the idoits on GC.com take this activity way too seroiusly and love attention even if it is negative.

Don't let the owner ruin your fun. Take you post down yourself and leave a note thanking him for the cache.

Fight the smiley face :D

So, remember that little note I sent to the cache owner? I got this letter back that said the log isn't signed. :ph34r: Well, that's what he replied...

he probably tore the page out. to heck with him. post a find on one of your own caches with an explanation naming his cache. he can't delete that one. :D

So, remember that little note I sent to the cache owner?  I got this letter back that said the log isn't signed.  :ph34r:  Well, that's what he replied...

Nobody would stoop so low as to tear pages out of a logbook, now would they?

Oh yeah, that's right ... it happens sometimes in my area. :D

I suggest that, in the future, the person initials the front and back cover of the logbook in addition to his log, "just in case."

Edited by BassoonPilot
[ snip! ]

If the owner wants to delete your electronic log, fine.  If the owner wants to go out to the cache and rip your page out of the logbook, fine.  It's when the owner wants to have you lobotomized to remove the memory of having found it that you should start to worry. :ph34r:

Okay, maybe it's time to start worrying. :D:D:D

Edit: It would help if I could spell.

Edited by Seamus
The cache owner has since contacted me threatening to delete my log because my log entry is too vague and he does not believe that I found the cache.  I have e-mailed him asking him to check the log book, but he refuses unless I give him a detailed description of the cache!

I don't know if he really "threatened" to delete your log or if you just misunderstood his mood in what he wrote to you, but how hard is it for you to just e-mail him with a couple lines of more descriptive text about your find?

I know that I wouldn't want to have to go out and check the log book for every cache that I've hidden, just because someone wouldn't give me a little more info in e-mail. I mean, what is easier - giving the guy a bit more info, or making him walk his butt back out to a cache to read a logbook? :laughing:

fwiw - I didn't read you log entry, or his cache description, or anything else... just jumping in the middle of a thread here that looked interesting.

RUBBERTOE!!!!! Where have you BEEN!?!? HI!

All I needed to see was 420 !!! LOL

According to Steven Hager, editor of High Times, the term 420 originated at San Rafael High School, in 1971, among a group of about a dozen pot-smoking wiseacres who called themselves the Waldos, who are now pushing 50. The term was shorthand for the time of day the group would meet, at the campus statue of Louis Pasteur, to smoke pot. Intent on developing their own discreet language, they made 420 code for a time to get high, and its use spread among members of an entire generation. While our teens feel that they know something we don't, you can let them in on the fact that it was your generation that came up with the numbers.

THIS IS THE REAL TEAM420. We have been at odds with this name stealing team for 6 months. We refer to them as "Underscore_420". We have been caching in AZ for a couple of years now. Then we ran across this piece of work "Underscore_ 420". We found a couple of his caches in AZ to bring attention to the name similarities, and then asked him why he used our name. He proceeded to delete our cache finds and make reference to the disable boy we sponsor as "deserving what he got". Even went as far as to theaten violence!

If you read some of the logs from this persons finds you will get a better feel for what you we are dealing with here. Also read the caches he has listed and you will find many problems there also.

IN NO WAY DO WE THE REAL "TEAM420" OF AZ WANT TO BE CONFUSED WITH "TEAM_420".

For we respect the game and others who play it. This person has his own agenda and is morally flawed. SO BEWARE!

We think it would be great if his caches were boycotted by other geocachers. Or even better he recieved many emails pleading with him to act right! To let this person know his behavier will not be tolerated in this great family forum.

We are just one team fighting an infection "Underscore_420". But he is starting to self destruct, as we are not the ones who stared this thread!

Please don't confuse us with this "underscore 420"

TEAM420

THIS IS THE REAL TEAM420. We have been at odds with this name stealing team for 6 months. We refer to them as "Underscore_420". We have been caching in AZ for a couple of years now. Then we ran across this piece of work "Underscore_ 420". We found a couple of his caches in AZ to bring attention to the name similarities, and then asked him why he used our name. He proceeded to delete our cache finds and make reference to the disable boy we sponsor as "deserving what he got". Even went as far as to theaten violence!

If you read some of the logs from this persons finds you will get a better feel for what you we are dealing with here. Also read the caches he has listed and you will find many problems there also.

IN NO WAY DO WE THE REAL "TEAM420" OF AZ WANT TO BE CONFUSED WITH "TEAM_420".

For we respect the game and others who play it. This person has his own agenda and is morally flawed. SO BEWARE!

We think it would be great if his caches were boycotted by other geocachers. Or even better he recieved many emails pleading with him to act right! To let this person know his behavier will not be tolerated in this great family forum.

We are just one team fighting an infection "Underscore_420". But he is starting to self destruct, as we are not the ones who stared this thread!

Please don't confuse us with this "underscore 420"

My inital impression from RamJetta's post was that Team_420 was a total jerk. If what you are sayin is true, then he's a bigger jerk than I thought.

The "Bank of Ganja " thing is actually a sticker attached to the inside of the ammocan.

I agree that the 420 names are not exactly in the spirit of a family sport, but to each his own I guess.

Our kids see the same references everywhere else in society, at least in these situations we are able to discuss it with them when they ask what it means. Still would be nice if they left it out though, and might give the authorities the wrong impression of geocaching if they stumbled upon one.

All that and the log deletion threat aside... it was a fun and challenging cache.

They can't be all that bad ;)

They can't be all that bad

Until is YOUR logs that are deleted. You don't find it odd that every one of their cach pages threatens, in big red letters, that they will delete certain kinds of logs.

OK if there is a major cheater in a log, its OK to delete it, but does one really have to announce this fact prominently on their cache page? And threatening to delete any "negative" logs? If the cache is wet, or in a lousy spot and someone mentions that fact in their log are they going to delete that?

Edited by briansnat
Until is YOUR logs that are deleted. You don't find it odd that every one of their cach pages threatens, in big red letters, that they will delete certain kinds of logs.

Yes I did find it odd. I also found it odd that they were willing to delete his find just on the "feeling" he hadn't actually been there rather than physically checking the book themselves. And I find it odd that someone who has such a liberal attitude on illegal drug use can be so legalistic in their geocaching style.

I guess I might find out how it feels to have my log deleted since I posted proof that RamJetta signed the book. But the sun will still come up in the morning.

;) Sounds like everyone is a little uptight about it. You signed the book, the lightfoot person verified it. Move on. Just don't find anymore of this person's caches and besure to share that idea wtih others. When no one finds his/her caches maybe they'll realize they were being a bit harsh. Sheesh... It's just a game, can't we all get along?!?!?
;) Sounds like everyone is a little uptight about it. You signed the book, the lightfoot person verified it. Move on. Just don't find anymore of this person's caches and besure to share that idea wtih others. When no one finds his/her caches maybe they'll realize they were being a bit harsh. Sheesh... It's just a game, can't we all get along?!?!?

No. ;)

I'm from Flagstaff, where the cache is located and I've found this cache... I think that the owner has gone a little overboard on his requirement of secrecy, since he could encrypt anything that may give someone how to get there. There's a really easy way and a much more difficult way to get to the cache and perhaps he wants it difficult. Personally, I think that making a cache and how you get to it, is for the enjoyment of all who find it, at least that's how I've made mine. :P

Just my .02! :P

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

I've been trying to avoid posting to this thread, but I can't resist

making a few points:

1: I suspect that inappropriate log deletion is (sadly) more common

than we think, but not that many people bother posting it to the GC

fora. As one example, a geocaching friend of mine mentioned in his

"found" log that a cache was area where hunting was occurring and was

he uncomfortable about that fact. He didn't request or suggest

archiving, just provided a heads-up to other cachers in his log. The

cache owner deleted his log with no notification or comment, either

for political reasons (my friend is also a vegitarian, which is

implied by his geocaching handle), or because he felt it was a

criticism of the cache itself (both

inappropriate reasons, IMHO).

B: I disagree with the rational for never logging online (although I

understand it). I think it is unfair to the cache owner, who deserve

a report on their cache's condition, and an idea of visitor numbers

to ascertain environmental impact.

III: Team Lightfoot, your photographic proof of RamJetta's visit was

priceless. You ROCK!

d: For someone whose cache sticker and username openly advocates

smoking weed, Underscore_420 is remarkably un-mellow.

John

Team Shredded Bark

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: PGP 8.0.2 - not licensed for commercial use: www.pgp.com

iQA/AwUBQO68DUcrpacku1SeEQInlgCdFuJu6IaEOMhUoXaUS9j2C2KuABMAn2AA

0ir5weAlfGitjBAs3RBUQmEp

=8TxQ

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Edited by Team Shredded Bark