Can a MeriGold use Garmin software?

Guest Wow!

I would like to know if anyone has used the Garmin Mapsend software with any of the Magellan Maridian receivers. I think I read somewhere that they are not compatable but thought I would ask anyway.

------------------

Lost somewhere in southern Ohio, Wow!

Guest ClayJar

What you read was correct. All mapping GPS receiver manufacturers use their own format for map data, and so, none of it is cross-brand compatible for mapping.

Before anyone yells "Conspiracy!", "Collusion!", or other mean 'C' words (capitalism, corporatism, communism, and Cheetos-breath come to mind), there are legitimate design decisions involved. Anyone who thinks they should all just use the same format probably thinks that Microsoft, Apple, and the rest of the world would easily be able to make a GNU/Macindowsix OSXPBSD ("Next time won't you sing with me?"®). icon_biggrin.gif

Guest ClayJar

What you read was correct. All mapping GPS receiver manufacturers use their own format for map data, and so, none of it is cross-brand compatible for mapping.

Before anyone yells "Conspiracy!", "Collusion!", or other mean 'C' words (capitalism, corporatism, communism, and Cheetos-breath come to mind), there are legitimate design decisions involved. Anyone who thinks they should all just use the same format probably thinks that Microsoft, Apple, and the rest of the world would easily be able to make a GNU/Macindowsix OSXPBSD ("Next time won't you sing with me?"®). icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Alan2

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

icon_biggrin.gif

Actually that's an interesting question. Mapping won't work, but what about waypoint and route transfers?

Alan

Guest Alan2

quote:

icon_biggrin.gif

Actually that's an interesting question. Mapping won't work, but what about waypoint and route transfers?

Alan

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Mapping won't work, but what about waypoint and route transfers?

You'll find that third-party software will almost invariably work with Magellan, Garmin, and possibly many more brands of receivers. Receiver-branded software won't, however, as it would probably be really hard to explain to management and shareholders exactly *why* you wanted to spend more man-hours coding support for the other guy's receivers. (We know it'd be good, but if you can explain that to management and shareholders, you should be a consulting, not reading these forums.)

Guest Alan2

quote:

quote:

...Receiver-branded software won't, however, as it would probably be really hard to explain to management and shareholders exactly *why* you wanted to spend more man-hours coding support for the other guy's receivers. (We know it'd be good, but if you can explain that to management and shareholders, you should be a consulting, not reading these forums.)

OK Clayjar, let me give it a shot.

"Upgrade to the new Garmin GPSR including software that will allow easy transfer of all your existing routes and waypoints stored in all your old Magellans and Magellan files in your PC. No need to re-enter info into the new Garmin unit or Garmin software package. Just connect your Magellan or open a Magellan PC file and hit the transfer button! Buy in the next two months an we'll include a $50 rebate."

Or,

"Buy our upgraded Garmin Mapsource. See how great our maps are. We guarentee it's better that your Magellan's or DeLorme, or whatever. WHile it will only transfer waypoints and routes like other third party software, you'll be ready to move up to a Garmin GPSR after you see how great our mapping is. 30 day return policy- no questions asked!"

How's that? icon_wink.gif

alan

Guest Alan2

quote:

quote:

...Receiver-branded software won't, however, as it would probably be really hard to explain to management and shareholders exactly *why* you wanted to spend more man-hours coding support for the other guy's receivers. (We know it'd be good, but if you can explain that to management and shareholders, you should be a consulting, not reading these forums.)

OK Clayjar, let me give it a shot.

"Upgrade to the new Garmin GPSR including software that will allow easy transfer of all your existing routes and waypoints stored in all your old Magellans and Magellan files in your PC. No need to re-enter info into the new Garmin unit or Garmin software package. Just connect your Magellan or open a Magellan PC file and hit the transfer button! Buy in the next two months an we'll include a $50 rebate."

Or,

"Buy our upgraded Garmin Mapsource. See how great our maps are. We guarentee it's better that your Magellan's or DeLorme, or whatever. WHile it will only transfer waypoints and routes like other third party software, you'll be ready to move up to a Garmin GPSR after you see how great our mapping is. 30 day return policy- no questions asked!"

How's that? icon_wink.gif

alan