Now You're Getting Nasty

Just in case most missed this post in another thread, apparently part of that "deafening silence" seems to be because TPTB were on a much-needed vacation until a few hrs ago.

He's gonna wish he didn't come back ;) .

You may be right. There's plenty of people who don't really post here, but come here EVERY day. I know a bunch that do just that. They may have quite a few concerned emails to deal with as well.

I have not stopped dialog

No, no, I'm not talking about you! You're doing a fine job! (Besides chastising me in public. ;) , but I'm a man and I can take it.)

I'm talking about some people who takes it upon themselves to blindly wave the flag of one side, who won't hear of any dissent, and doesn't want any dissent to be voiced. A good example is the post directly above the one I got nailed for.

I read this post to my wife and she said "Ah, so you don't know the difference." :P:D:o

Thanks CR. :D (an embarrassed signal emote).

Mechanics Hands, she like caffeine free Pepsi, so good choice. She says thanks. ;)

There has been enough angst (and sarcasm) in this topic. While the issue is being resolved we can try to heal as a community. I love seeing the post where some of you are doing that in this topic. My hat is off to those of you that are trying to "be the better man" at this point.

Heal? I think what you are going to see is people just getting more ticked that there really isn't any significant reply from from TPTB on a topic that apppears to be the most volitile in gc.com history and just walking away dissapointed and frustrated. That's not healing that's just what people have posted they are afraid of, TPTB just waiting for everything to blow over so they don't have to address it. Healing as a community involves the leader of that community if it is to be a true healing.

Hmmmm, I'd like to know if I have a nickname in that forum???

I'm sure most of us do.

What an embarassment it would be if someone hacked the private forum and posted all of the juicy gossip. I'm not sure I'd want to know.

You know what? There is really very, very little of that. Everyone is pretty much referred to by their site nicknames, or shortened versions thereof, just like they are here. The discussions in the past few days in the private forum have been much like they always are: civil, supportive, humorous, and some constructive criticism. Business goes on. There are threads about who is covering which areas during vacations so that everyone receives good service. New caches with interesting twists are being discussed.

Probably the only unusual thing is that Sparky is posting a lot over there, wondering if he's blown his cover.

There has been enough angst (and sarcasm) in this topic.  While the issue is being resolved we can try to heal as a community.  I love seeing the post where some of you are doing that in this topic.  My hat is off to those of you that are trying to "be the better man" at this point.

Heal? I think what you are going to see is people just getting more ticked that there really isn't any significant reply from from TPTB on a topic that apppears to be the most volitile in gc.com history and just walking away dissapointed and frustrated. That's not healing that's just what people have posted they are afraid of, TPTB just waiting for everything to blow over so they don't have to address it. Healing as a community involves the leader of that community if it is to be a true healing.

Waiting for it to blow over? SHEESH! People are acting like this have been going on a week. Slow down and chill. This thread started Saturday evening. You think they are at their computers 24/7 all weekend reading the forums? No, as I pointed out a few posts up, Jeremy wasnt even around, he was on vacation until 5hrs ago. So the situation hasn't been (publicly) resolved for 5 whole hours since he got home and and people are complaining.

Edited by Mopar
this isn't Duane.........He was banned from the forums by Michael ;)

Actually, you were banned by the upper level site admins. This sock puppet account will be too.

I am dead serious. If you post inflammatory post you will get reprimanded.

from from TPTB on a topic that apppears to be the most volitile in gc.com history

I thought that was the crackdown on virtual caches.

Give me a break. One admin demonstrates bad judgement in what most people agree is an isolated incident.

Edited by briansnat
from from TPTB on a topic that apppears to be the most volitile in gc.com history

Naaaaaaa, that hazta be the "I know who the Pirates are" thread that Jeremy posted. (Where the heck is the black eye emoticon?) ;) That went some ungodly amount of posts and views in a very short time. :P:D

Glad to see the mood here has turned to the more 'gentler and kinder' version. Thanks to those of you who had the brass to make apologies and / or back off.

Shame on those of you who are still sitting at your PCs trying to figure out how to zing Sparky or Diablo without getting warned.

I agree that it appears CO made a mistake and definately feel the need to be reassured. It's a trust issue and cachers have a very REAL and VALID stake in it.

HOWEVER, CO deserves our respect and IF he made a mistake he deserves our forgiveness with or without an apology. IF CO or Jeremy chooses a public assurance then great. If they choose to low-key it, then they choose to deal with whatever fallout may come.

We are a family, like it or not, and conflict comes hand in hand with affection. I like to envision conflict and affection as a blond and a brunette, but I digress.....

Finally, thanks to Mountain_Man. Way to be a rock dude. It is appreciated.

Cache On. ;)

Give me a break. One admin demonstrates bad judgement in what most people agree is an isolated incident.

Ok ok, I overstated it. I just get frustrated when people say this is just an issue between one cacher and an admin. We've had those issues here before and usually the cacher gets told to take it somewhere else. And this is clearly not the same.

huh. i read the first page of this, and the related first pages.

i read the last page of this. i'm not sure what all the fuss is about, really. i've has mosquito bites that bother me more.

did i miss something important?

There have been quite a number of posts - I believe I've read enough of them to get an idea of what has transpired and the issues at hand.

Clearly this cache is of significance to the geocaching community. If this were any other cache, such a furor would not have erupted.

The main point of the whole matter is whether or not Team 360 could support the cache in a reasonable timely manner. The lines have been drawn between those who staunchly take a no-nonsense additude of "no exceptions" and those who believe special considerations should be taken because of the special nature of this particular cache.

Those of you who have read the rules regarding cache maintainance know that there no specific rules on how often a cache owner should maintain the cache. Only that it BE maintained. The rules clearly open ended on this matter with the only exception that the cache NOT be a vacation cache. This "original plaque cache" clearly isn't a vacation cache so that arguement doesn't apply. Those of you digging your boots over exceptions shouldn't be made, really need to chill out. IT'S A GAME!

IMO the situation COULD have been handled a lot better. The Admin could have tried to contact Team 360, rather than just archiving the cache. But that's all 20/20 hindsight. We've all heard this already about Admins are volunteers and they are human so they WILL make mistakes from time to time.

What harm is there to overlooking the need to replacing a logbook?

Fortunantly Groundspeak/Geocaching.com does have a mechanism in place to resolve issues and disputes. It seems to me that it has worked out fine minus some hurt feelings.

Ok ok, I overstated it. I just get frustrated when people say this is just an issue between one cacher and an admin.

So do I, because it's not just one cacher. Didn't members of the community OTHER than 360 contribute to make that cache a reality?

If it turns out that CO_Admin overstepped his bounds and acted out of spite, was it the first time? Was it the last? I really don't know, but feel TPTB need to do something to reassure the community that it won't happen again, if that is what happened.

I see this as one that affects the community at large, and still feel (even though I realize it probably won't happen) that TPTB should come in here and keep us updated as to what's going on.

Maybe somebody posted this already (haven't read the middle pages) but......make it a virtual cache. The plaque is placed, with permission, I would assume. There is WOW! factor (for us cachers). No maintenance required. Done deal.

SHEEEEESH!

Just call me Solomon.

I'm out.

HOWEVER, CO deserves our respect

Ummmm, no, CO does not deserve any respect. CO has the ability to earn respect. That's about it. Usually a mistake is something you do by accident. This was no accident.

If it turns out that CO_Admin overstepped his bounds and acted out of spite, was it the first time? Was it the last? I really don't know, but feel TPTB need to do something to reassure the community that it won't happen again, if that is what happened.

That would be nice ;)

I had just logged a visit to the cache in question the day before, when it got archived. There were between 50 and 100 other cachers at an event in Portland last weekend who all planned to visit the cache as one of their main goals.

I believe that what is between 360 and CO is private and I don't need to hear about that. What I would like to see is that this cache is somehow assured of protection, like a national landmark, so that we can all visit it without worry that it will disappear. It would seem that a statement of protection would be something everyone deserves. Even if it was assurance that if 360 must give it up, than a local group can take over. Say, the Oregon Unit of Cache Historians, kind of an odd fellows for caches. or OUCH for short.

There have been quite a number of posts - I believe I've read enough of them to get an idea of what has transpired and the issues at hand.

Clearly this cache is of significance to the geocaching community. If this were any other cache, such a furor would not have erupted.

The main point of the whole matter is whether or not Team 360 could support the cache in a reasonable timely manner. The lines have been drawn between those who staunchly take a no-nonsense additude of "no exceptions" and those who believe special considerations should be taken because of the special nature of this particular cache.

Those of you who have read the rules regarding cache maintainance know that there no specific rules on how often a cache owner should maintain the cache. Only that it BE maintained. The rules clearly open ended on this matter with the only exception that the cache NOT be a vacation cache. This "original plaque cache" clearly isn't a vacation cache so that arguement doesn't apply. Those of you digging your boots over exceptions shouldn't be made, really need to chill out. IT'S A GAME!

IMO the situation COULD have been handled a lot better. The Admin could have tried to contact Team 360, rather than just archiving the cache. But that's all 20/20 hindsight. We've all heard this already about Admins are volunteers and they are human so they WILL make mistakes from time to time.

Fortunantly Groundspeak/Geocaching.com does have a mechanism in place to resolve issues and disputes. It seems to me that it has worked out fine minus some hurt feelings.

I've just spoken with Team360 on the phone. He can't get online tonight, but said I could post some information:

The cache will be permanently unarchived and ponyryder is now listed on the cache page as the local maintainer. That part of this issue has been resolved.

Ummmm, no, CO does not deserve any respect. CO has the ability to earn respect. That's about it. Usually a mistake is something you do by accident. This was no accident.

Whoa there now. Dead wrong.

Groundspeak Forum Guidelines

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

In these forums, you respect all members. You can loose respect for them personally, but you must respect fellow forum members when you talk about them here.

As I have said, "be the better man". You've been great LB&MM. Please keep up the great work you have shown in these forums. I am a bit surprised by your post. I can understand that in your eyes someone may need to regain your respect, but please show courtesy toward other members when posting.

Whoa there now. Dead wrong.

Dead wrong? Hmmmm

quoting forum rules is much different from deserving respect wouldn't you say?

Have I been disrespectul? I would say no. Has COAdmin, based on his actions deserved respect? It appears the only respect this admin is going to get is the respect you've demanded by quoting forum guidelines.

I will obey forum guidelines of course. But I totally disagree that CO Admin deserves respect at this point in time.

On the forums you can demand we behave respectfully of course. But you have to earn respect anywhere in my book. Respect earned from past actions can certainly be lost quickly, especially when a button is pushed out of anger wouldn't you say??? ;)

I am sorry if I was unclear in stating my opinion, please allow me to rephrase.

I am certain that CO has earned my respect. His contributions to the game severly overshadows the severity of this thing he 'might' have done wrong. Worse case scenario, he did it out of pure spite, an blatant abuse of power. That still wouldn't trump the respect he, and every approver I have had contact with, has earned through their actions.

He is just a man, prone to mistakes like us all, who may have made a mistake. I haven't noticed any 'how about the time he did this and that horrible thing' posts here.

I've never had a friend who reacted to one of my mistakes the way the wagons circled over this issue. Sure hope I don't offend someone here. ;)

"The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones".

I am certain that CO has earned my respect.  His contributions to the game severly overshadows the severity of this thing he 'might' have done wrong.  Worse case scenario, he did it out of pure spite, an blatant abuse of power.  That still wouldn't trump the respect he, and every approver I have had contact with, has earned through their actions.

He is just a man, prone to mistakes like us all, who may have made a mistake.  I haven't noticed any 'how about the time he did this and that horrible thing' posts here. 

I've never had a friend who reacted to one of my mistakes the way the wagons circled over this issue.  Sure hope I don't offend someone here.  ;)

Well said.

How quickly people forget all the time and effort some people give to help this site. I will not judge either CO Admin or Team 360 in this topic since I do not have all the facts to make a judgment with. I would imagine that these facts are being gathered and digested by TPTB. None of us are in a position to pass judgment. Tossing either of them under the bus for a mistake is not good. That is why I have asked for civility. You may very well regret things you have said at a later date. This topic has illustrated that fact all too well.

Again, I am happy to see that some of those people who have said things that they have regretted have been able to mend fences in this same topic.

They don't owe the users here a public announcement of what steps they've taken.

I don't really care about the minutia. I just want to know that steps have been taken to take care of it and not just a statement saying, "we'll handle it."

I think that all that's necessary is "we'll handle it". When I said in an earlier post that a "response" should happen. Hydee's response was quite good enough. The best we can hope for is that TPTB investigates and does what they feel is neccessary. From what I've seen, I think that is happening. I would hope that we all have enough concern and respect for all parties involved to let it go. I think we've all done things and said things we wished we hadn't. We've all hoped that our friends and associates would forgive us for our trangressions. Now is the time for healing and forgivness.

I just read the latest log for ORIGINAL STASH TRIBUTE PLAQUE. I think it's worth quoting here.

We came along way for this and were totally not dissapointed.We are so happy to be a part of the geocaching community and all of its members. Thanks to all who keep it operating and got it started.

Let me add my thanks to all that keep it operating too. Thank you.

Byron

I started reading the thread and quickly decided it was getting way out of hand and moved on to the last page to post a quick note.

The cache is there, it's in good shape, and the LOG BOOK has dozens of sigs and stickers in it including mine!

One last note thank you 360 and good job local approvers.

Pepper

edit: typo

Edited by Team SuperGenius
Finally decided to offer my thoughts on the outcome of this situation.

I would appreciate seeing a simple statement of how the matter was settled (if or when settled and whether good, bad, or indifferent) .Then a statement, saying, 'any and all future threads on this matter will be closed immediately'.

Just curious about the outcome.

John

We have a winner here!

As much as I enjoy a good melee in the forums I stepped out pending the results. If there are no results that too is a result.

Edit: "We will handle" it is a non answer. A non answer leaves the vast majority of the people with the opinion they have forumed allready based on what they do know.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I've just spoken with Team360 on the phone. He can't get online tonight, but said I could post some information:

The cache will be permanently unarchived and ponyryder is now listed on the cache page as the local maintainer. That part of this issue has been resolved.

Good to know. Hopefully this issue will be die down and it will just be a memory...

...The main point of the whole matter is whether or not Team 360 could support the cache in a reasonable timely manner...

The main point of the while matter is that the cache was archived out of what looks entirly like spite. Not what any approver should be doing. IE Abusing the power of the position for no partiularly good reason. The reason given was a rationalization. Nothing more. It was a smoekscreen for the real reasons.In my line of work we call that CYA. Cover Your a**. A fallback postion was presented and proved to be needed.

It's the job of the higher admins to determin if this is true, or not, and take action, or not, and report on the result. Reporting on the outcome is not optional if this site wants to keep up it's credibility. They can keep silent but that will have the effect of taking down the sites credibilty a notch.

...The main point of the whole matter is whether or not Team 360 could support the cache in a reasonable timely manner...

The main point of the while matter is that the cache was archived out of what looks entirly like spite. Not what any approver should be doing. IE Abusing the power of the position for no partiularly good reason. The reason given was a rationalization. Nothing more. It was a smoekscreen for the real reasons.In my line of work we call that CYA. Cover Your a**. A fallback postion was presented and proved to be needed.

It's the job of the higher admins to determin if this is true, or not, and take action, or not, and report on the result. Reporting on the outcome is not optional if this site wants to keep up it's credibility. They can keep silent but that will have the effect of taking down the sites credibilty a notch.

I just finished reading the other thread. From the exchange of messages, it certainly appears to that Team360's cache was archived out of spite.

Regardless of what the Admin was done, TPTB do have a mechanism in place to take care of these problems. And in this case, it seems to have worked.

This probably will not be the only case where an Admin will overreact or abuse their power. One can only hope that the check and balances built in to address issues will work out.

Based on the way these forums work, that won't bring any closure.

Should TPTB decide to take action against CO the debate would shift to whether the punishment fits the crime. Half would be upset that it was to severe and half would argue for a public hanging.

Besides, those who constantly like to challenge the sites (and TPTB or Admin's) credibility every chance they get will continue to do so regardless if anything is said or not.

Permit me to point out that the option to re-establish the cache with a local maintainer was what was on CO Admin's mind at the time this occurred. I know this from speaking with him at that time. That has been done, and I'm glad.

Edited by Keystone Approver
I think that all that's necessary is "we'll handle it". When I said in an earlier post that a "response" should happen. Hydee's response was quite good enough. The best we can hope for is that TPTB investigates and does what they feel is neccessary. From what I've seen, I think that is happening.  I would hope that we all have enough concern and respect for all parties involved to let it go. I think we've all done things and said things we wished we hadn't. We've all hoped that our friends and associates would forgive us for our trangressions. Now is the time for healing and forgivness.

Sorry, the way things have been "handled" in the past just doesn't cut it. Why do you think I've become critical of gc.com? You think it's just my nature? If so, search on my main account, Sissy-n-CR, and read. You will see I started off all gungho supporting TPTB--I waved their banner just like a lot of you. Then little by little things happen that opened my eyes to many of the goings-on behind the scenes. It got to the point I had to take a break and I did.

I'm not going to drag up specifics, but I know other cachers have gotten "extra attention" from certain approvers. I've seen it turn into a sport in the chatroom. I don't go there much because of it. You can see this sport even here in these very forums. "Why does my post say Ringbone?" You thing that's respectful? (Not that I'm saying the person who originally typed that deserves respect.) No, it's condoned because of the nature of it's origin. It's the same with other cachers depending on how much of an "outlaw" they are.

There was at least one other "approver problem" that has been "handled" in a less than satisficatory manner. When someone recently discovered the problem approver had been allowed to go back to his old job under a new name, he was told he was beating a dead horse. A known and admitted cheater as an approver? Please! That's "handled?"

Sorry, approvers have the power to archive, edit and delete info, and mangle any cache they choose. I don't want one working on the site that I've choosen to play on who has shown a willingness to use their powers to throw their weight around. No approver should be exhibiting any personal vendetta--oh, excuse me, "extra attention"--an anyone.

Geocaching.com is a commercial venture. Not putting our minds at ease that this will not happen again--whether in fact or not, is not really an issue--will affect the bottom line. Who knows who an episode like this will tick off next. Competing sites have sprang up over major issues in the past. Who knows, next time it will be someone who creates a site that is real competition.

As I've said, I don't care about the minutia. I want to be assured this will not happen again. I also better not be lied to and discover it has not, in fact, been handled. My doubts and uneasiness with the competence of TPTB need to be swept away. Let me tell you right now, because of past failures, that job is going to be that much harder.

Permit me to point out that the option to re-establish the cache with a local maintainer was what was on CO Admin's mind at the time this occurred. I know this from speaking with him at that time. That has been done, and I'm glad.

I think we all understand this, KA. It's manner in which it was done.

This morning I was thinking this is like a debate at city hall. Where a city council member has a beef with one person and treats them unfairly. People see how he's treated, head to the next meeting and say they want answers. Even if he's allowed to paint his house pink or whatever the orginal problem was, the people still want to know what system is in place to stop them from being treated the same way.

And I know there is a difference between those that are voted on and approvers, but it's a community thing. Hey, you treated my neighbor like this, prove to me you won't treat me the same way.

I am certain that CO has earned my respect. His contributions to the game severly overshadows the severity of this thing he 'might' have done wrong.

It's a pretty important point, and I'd love the past contributions of our community members to be taken into account in the future.

But I am afraid that this is not going to work. Or, at best (worst?), that the contributions to the community will be recited only when we discuss an admin or an avid fan of TPTB.

You all remember that in the past, whenever there was an appearance of conflict between TPTB and a cacher, it always degenerated into cries "Love it or leave it!" and "Let the door hit you on your way out!". Most of the time we were speaking about cachers who contrubuted a lot to the game, and whose inevitable conflict with the rule-setting establishment was directly related to the creative, envelope-pushing nature of their work. I think it started with Dave Ulmer himself. Of course, after years of acrimony, his contributions seemed to have been honored at last ... although the present scandalous story with the Plaque called it to question again.

To cut the long list short ... can we, as a community, give TEAM 360 and other great contributors to the game of geocaching the respect they deserve in times of arguments and conflicts? I wish we could, but I don't believe we ever will.

I thought i had read where this cache was apporved knowing full well that Team360 didnt live closeby. Maybe CO didnt know this. Even so, seems he took the wrong steps in the wrong sequence here. The cache was fine and dandy (logbook replaced) when CO archived it. Why did he archive it so suddenly?

We dont have all the facts. Im sure that like others here, im trying hard to look at this from another point of view. For now, it all keeps falling back into place the same way! The fact that CO hasnt posted (he may not be available?) any kind of explanation, helps to keep the ill feelings here too!

This is something that we all will get through of course. Its not the first obstacle that the community has overcome and it wont be the last. CO, get out here and speak up. We dont have to know details but to see your honest feelings now might be what we all need! :bad:

I think it started with Dave Ulmer himself. Of course, after years of acrimony, his contributions seemed to have been honored at last ... although the present scandalous story with the Plaque called it to question again.

It is important to remember that Dave Ulmer was not honored by Groundspeak, Inc. or geocaching.com ... he and his cache were honored by members of the geocaching community, headed by the efforts of TEAM 360. Geocaching.com is also honored on the plaque for its contribution to the game, even though the original geocache pre-dated geocaching.com

I'm glad I stayed out of this one as long as I have but I do want to say one thing. Do we really need to have someones head on a platter? In the grand scheme of things this doesn't seem like it should be way up on the list of important things in life. The situations seems to be resolved. I know I'm "parroting" here but, what happens now between the people involved can remain behind closed doors. I for one don't need to see anyone grovel for the forgiveness of the community.

I'm going caching now.

The situations seems to be resolved. I know I'm "parroting" here but, what happens now between the people involved can remain behind closed doors. I for one don't need to see anyone grovel for the forgiveness of the community.

I don't think people want, or expect, to see anyone "grovel." But in order for the community to "trust" the site volunteers, the actions of those volunteers must, at all times, be above reproach.

It's disturbing that those words have to come from a mere geocacher.