Now You're Getting Nasty

Yeah, I'd really like to have Groundspeak weigh in on this. This is our sport, they're providing a listing service, and answer to us, not the other way around.

It could all be a large misunderstanding, and a one-sided view given to us by a player, that's ok. An approver getting out of hand, that's ok too, fix it and we can all get back to the norm.

<_< did someone say NORM?

yep

EDIT TO ADD: (Read post below this one to see what I am refering to), sorry for letting my AS stuff leak here. I wasnt gonna get involved in this thread, but now that I have been asked (and I guess I should, I did post here) I will voice my opinion.

I do not want to flame anybody but El Diablo, IMHO this is not over, Jeremy/Hydee havnt looked at this subject closly yet, CoAdmin has not stated his reasonings. I do not think that CO should have archived this cache, particularly for maintainable distance reasons (which Jeremy gave permission for), but I am not reading to bash him, I have had nothing but good experiences from CO both here in the forums and as my approver. This is the first action of his I even mildly question, and am reluctant to do so untill I here his side of the story. As for 360, I have a lot of respect for him, I have found two(maybe more) of his caches and enjoyed both. Both were interesting caches. I have witnessed him trying to come up with new and interesting cache ideas and when I first noted that the cache tribute plaque was spearheaded by him, I earned even more respect for him. I look upon 360 highly, as well as a few others on "The List"

Once agian, I sencerily appologize for straying off topic in this rather serious thread

EDITED AGAIN TO ADD MORE:

I also question why CO Admin archived a cache well out of his area, but I am not trying to bash him or any other of the admins or approvers, I respect them all and this site and have no intention to ever use another listing service. I am also trying to find the funds to become a paying member of this site.

Edited by wildearth2001
Yeah, I'd really like to have Groundspeak weigh in on this. This is our sport, they're providing a listing service, and answer to us, not the other way around.

It could all be a large misunderstanding, and a one-sided view given to us by a player, that's ok. An approver getting out of hand, that's ok too, fix it and we can all get back to the norm.

<_< did someone say NORM?

yep

You know, that's fine for Abject Silliness, but if you don't have any content to go with it then don't bother posting it here.

El Diablo, the cache may very well remain active after TPTB discuss it tomorrow. However, the issue with it being archived in the first place is far from over.

Everybody...

Back it down a notch please.

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Here Here MTN THANK YOU

People it doesnt matter which side (I HATE SIDES SOOOOO Unnecesary here) your on, supporting GC, or attacking it or the people of it. Being NASTY iS NASTY and hateful and just as wrong and even more so. Lets heed MTN's advice and tone it down a notch or several notches for some. To attack and make personal uncalled for comments will do no good in here it will only add more fuel to a fire that shouldnt be. It also helps others that might have listened and agreed with your perspective distance themselves from you because they dont want to be associated with the attacks. Lets RELAX and wait and see what happens.

MH

Too? I haven't missed any part of this discussion.

El Diablo

You know as well as I do that cache will not be archived.

Well, judging from this comment, it appears that you obviously have missed a major part of the discussion. <_<:D

No..I haven't missed anything. I just refuse to carry on the adgenda that you want.

BTW. I don't care if you respect me or not. I'm standing up for what I believe. That belief is that this thread is now only to bash the Admins.

It started off with a good intention and it reached it's goals. Now you and others want to make it a whipping ground for CO. It may become that, but I'm going to be here stating the other side until the Admins ban me.

I've never posted to be the most popular. I've always posted to state what I believe. There are posters out there that intimidate others...I'm not intimidated.

El Diablo

I am not trying to bash any admins, approvers, mods, other cachers, beat a dead horse, or end up in El Diablo's group of complainers by asking why the plaque situation happened. If it was just because a logbook went missing for a few weeks (May 16 - June 8 or 22 if you only count 360's book via ponyryder), then there appears to be a much larger issue going on here (yes, even one that symbolically affects the community since it is the official geocaching plaque) that hasn't been resolved by temporarily unarchiving the cache. I accept that some may disagree with that last statement.

Perhaps some are using this thread to bash or have another agenda in mind that I'm unaware of, but I believe many are respectfully waiting for reassurance that when errors are made (by cachers, approvers, mods, or a combination of any) that reason, logic, and a team spirit will eventually prevail. That's why I hope this thread remains open. I appreciate the hard work so many put into geocaching in all areas by listing, approving, hiding, and searching to make this enjoyable for all. I realize they will probably not address the issue until they have time to discuss it just as Nate noted in his log. IMHO, that already sounds logical. <_<

El Diablo

Well, judging from this comment, it appears that you obviously have missed a major part of the discussion. :D:o

Now you and others want to make it a whipping ground for CO.

El Diablo

Well, if that's your opinion, then so be it. I must say, however, you couldn't be more wrong, and I resent you trying to tell me and others what my intent in the thread is. <_< There you have failed yourself and the community, and nothing you can say now should be respected by anyone. Once you cross the line from stating your opinions and beliefs to start telling me what my opinions and beliefs are, you have lost. So sad. :D

Edited by Sparky-Watts
Sometimes CO Admin over-reacts, and he is not known for his tact. He tries to do his volunteer job as best as he can, and I appreciate that. It's a hard job, and he has been ill. Cut him some slack personally.

But I think he overstepped his bounds here, and TPTB needs to respond to this controversy. It's bad for Geocaching, and bad for the Geocaching image with new and old cachers.

Sometimes even an admin needs a time out.

This was pure vindictiveness but I'm glad to see it sorted out.

did his warn meter go up? :D

<_<

El Diablo

Well, judging from this comment, it appears that you obviously have missed a major part of the discussion. :D:o

El Diablo

Well, if that's your opinion, then so be it. I must say, however, you couldn't be more wrong, and I resent you trying to tell me and others what my intent in the thread is. <_< There you have failed yourself and the community, and nothing you can say now should be respected by anyone. Once you cross the line from stating your opinions and beliefs to start telling me what my opinions and beliefs are, you have lost. So sad. :D

I didn't tell you what your beliefs where. You stated those yourself. I believe that the majority of the community feels as I do.

Basically that belief is that you should go back to where you make the most sense...the AS thread.

If anyone out there hasn't figured it out yet...I'm pi$$ed. This thread originally brought up a good point. It was addressed, but the usual trouble makers aren't going to let it die.

These people are always causing some sort of problem or another. Now it's been stated that they are doing this in the best interset of the community. Personally I don't need their interest.

Until I'm made to do so, I will not step away from this to let just one side be heard.

El Diablo

On the surface, yes, it appears that CO did overreact and archive a cache that he should not have. Although it appears to outside the guidelines for approval, it has been there, and appears if nothing else that it would be grandfathered in. And yes, it does appear to the outsider that it was done in spite.

It also appears that TPTB will be reviewing the matter, but you have to give them time.

I am unarchiving this cache until Groundspeak can review the situation and come to an agreement on this matter. I would respectfully request Team 360 contact us at contact (at) geocaching (dot) com with any information he feels will help us in our decision. Thank you.

Nate

Groundspeak, Inc.

As El Diablo says,”The problem has been fixed.”

As IV Warrior (and others) says, “the issue is still an open one.”

In other words, the cache is unarchived, but who knows the final result.

Surely no one expected this to be resolved in 24 hours.

Remember, as has been brought up in so many threads, the vast majority of geocachers do not read the forums, so the vast majority will never even know about this current controversy. And positively or not, it will pass. We can only hope for positively.

Personally, I think the biggest problem that has come from this is not the archiving of a cache, or the denying of one, because I firmly believe that will be resolved. What is the biggest problem is the total lack of respect I have seen in the several pages of posts here. Too many people who disagree with one another fail to respect the rights of others to have an opposite and opposing opinion.

I can assure you, I disagree with some of you, but I don’t disagree with your right to hold that opinion. There is no one yesterday or today who lost my respect because of how they feel about this issue. But I will assure you, some respect has been lost in the way attacks on their fellow community members have passed.

I truly hope this issue can be resolved to the overall satisfaction of everybody. In fact, I’m pretty sure that it can and will be. But, the loss of respect among each other is, in my opinion, the bigger issue.

Hopefully, in any future disagreements, we can agree to disagree and still respect each others right to hold a different opinion.

(my rather lengthy 2¢ worth)

Man I can't wait to see GC.com's and CO Admin's response. This will be very interesting.

Has there ever been a previous occurence when an administator has overstepped his boundaries? I've been around a while but I can't remember anything as serious as this.

We should start a wager type thing. The currency could be unactivated TB's.

I didn't tell you what your beliefs where. You stated those yourself.

Yes....yes you most certainly did!

Right there in that quote you did! I never said I "want to make it a whipping ground for CO", you did. I said I want an explanation. There is a big difference, but apparently party-line blindness isn't allowing you to see that. Quit telling me what my intentions are!!!

And we all know about your jealousy over the sense of community we have in AS, but please, stick to the topic and quit with the personal attacks....if you can. <_<

I believe that the majority of the community feels as I do.

The bottom line is that the problem was fixed.

Actually it seams that most of the community dissagrees with you on this point, a few agree but many others, myself included do not.

It probably wont, but the issue still remains, why did Co Admin feel that he needed to archive the cache.

I wrote this post without the intent to flame anybody, thats why I did not name names (other than CO Admin). Please realize that this is MHO!! You are intitled to yours and so am I.

El Diablo,Jun 27 2004, 07:10 PM

Basically that belief is that you should go back to where you make the most sense...the AS thread.

El Diablo

That was uncalled for...you and no one else has the right to tell someone where they can post..This is not the first time you have made that statement.

I guess if a certain person had their way a witch hunt to get rid of all that

considered troublemakers...

I don’t remember anyone being appointed the spokesperson for GC and the voice of the community in general, but the last time I looked this was a free democratic society that gives its citizens the right to voice their opinions in whatever venue without fear of repercussions or banishment without just cause.

You made a reference to Hitler in an earlier post, was that prophetic of the cleansing being called to happen?

I am not a trouble maker...if fact I am usually not much more then a fun loving person and a devoted geocacher.

This post could very well get me my first gig on the bad-o-meter...but so be it...you went too far.

Edited by woof n lulu
Man I can't wait to see GC.com's and CO Admin's response. This will be very interesting.

Has there ever been a previous occurence when an administator has overstepped his boundaries? I've been around a while but I can't remember anything as serious as this.

We should start a wager type thing. The currency could be unactivated TB's.

lol <_<

El Diablo

That was uncalled for...you and no one else has the right to tell someone where they can post..This is not the first time you have made that statement.

I guess if a certain person had their way a witch hunt to get rid of all that

considered troublemakers...

I don’t remember anyone being appointed the spokesperson for GC and the voice of the community in general, but the last time I looked this was a free democratic society that gives its citizens the right to voice their opinions in whatever venue without fear of repercussions or banishment without just cause.

You made a reference to Hitler in an earlier post, was prophetic of the cleansing being called to happen?

I am not a trouble maker...if fact I am usually not much more then a fun loving person and a devoted geocacher.

This post could very well get me my first gig on the bad-o-meter...but so be it...you went too far.

Your right. I stepped over the line. Not sure if I've done this in the past as you suggest...but I'll take your word on it.

Look. Here is all I want. Lets wait to see if the cache will be permantly unarchived. I'll bet any amount of maoney you want that it will be. People are demanding an explanation from CO and it's not needed.

My biggest problem with this thread is that it turned from trying to unarchive a cache to bashing an Admin. The same people that always stir the pot are stirring it here. I'm just tired of it. These people are always sidestepped. I'm not stepping around them anymore...I'm going right through them. If the people I've pointed out as trouble makers don't like it...sorry. You made your bed...ly in it.

Early on in this thread I stated that the cache was a very special cache and should be unarchived. It was. Lets let this thread go. I'm willing to, but if the other group wants to keep bashing...I'm going to stay right here defending people that do an outstanding job.

El Diablo

If you insist on lumping me in with the group that you say is trying to "bash" the admin, I must again say you are wrong. I have always supported the approvers in previous issues, and I still continue to support them. I understand the job they do, and wouldn't want it in a million years. However, I cannot help but feel that this particular action by CO Admin was wrong. I am simply asking for an explanation. I still don't see why you insist on calling that an attack. I'm sure I could find lots of posts by you and call them attacks, but what would that prove? That I'm no better than you? Nope, I won't go there. I would have hoped that you wouldn't go there, either, but it's too late to take back what you have said. It ain't over till it's over. And it won't be over until an explanation is given. Sure, they don't have to explain their actions, but I'm hoping they will be professional enough to do so. From my experience, all of the mods and approvers here seem to be humble enough to do so, some on more than one occasion. When they make a mistake, they admit it. If they do something against the grain of the community, at least they have the cajones to step up and explain why they did what they did. That's all I'm asking for. If it turns out that it was an honest mistake, fine. If it turns out that personal issues were involved, then I think an apology should be made. If it turns out to be other issues such as health problems, then I think a vacation is in order. I have always supported CO Admin when he was attacked, especially on the health side of his life. We have had many, many conversations about that. I would hate to have to see him stop doing something he loves because of his health, as I know how hard that is on a person. But, if it is complicating his performance as an approver, then that needs to be dealt with. Surely the stress of being an approver can't be good for his health. I would like nothing more than to see him get well again, and be able to cache without exhaustion at every step. That may not ever happen.

I am sorry, CO Admin, if this is causing you more stress, but you know my feelings on honesty from our conversations......you know that I am asking for an explanation for the community, so that we can put this behind us and move on.

As for you, El Diablo, no amount of apologies or explanations will ever make up for the attacks you've made on other community members tonight, including me. I find your attitude towards us unwarranted, and would suggest that you take a vacation from the forums in an effort to see how badly you have behaved tonight. Taking a stand is one thing. Making personal attacks and insults under the guise of taking a stand is abhorrant behavior and inexcusable. As another poster alluded to, you are not the voice of the community, despite your delusions to the idea. Being the editor of a two-bit, flash-in-the-pan online magazine doesn't give you the right to tell anyone what they think, what they want, how they feel, or where they can post. Nobody has that right, especially not you.

Being the editor of a two-bit, flash-in-the-pan online magazine ...

But isn't this almost the pot calling the kettle black?

I know you no longer have any respect for El Diablo, but I don't understand how you can say anything about his alleged personal attacks and then you make comments such as this.

Just curious.

It has been a long time since I've been to the forums. Since I have the cache in question on my watch list, I had to come back to see what is going on.

People are demanding an explanation from CO and it's not needed.

I beg to differ. As someone who hasn't been flaming any admins or the site itself, I also see a chance that there was an abuse of powers. I am an admin on a site (that has nothing to do with geocaching) and I see the seriousness of this. An explanation is needed. Given the possibility of abuse of powers, the geocaching community does need to know what happened this weekend. I take it quite seriously since this admin oversees my area. Any future and current caches of mine are affected. I realize things probably wont be addressed this minute, but I would hope the PTB will address the community with some sort of response, whether it is only Jeremy or CO Admin, or both. Some sort of response is needed to reassure us that what we perceived to have happened wont actually happen in the future.

People...

This is a matter that most likely should have been dealt with in email. I would imagine that the resolution of the matter will be dealt with that way. Those of you that have called for Jeremy and CO Admin to post should not hold your breath. I feel certain that Team 360 will be contacted by the site administrators regarding resolving the issue. If a comment regarding the issue comes from the upper level admins, then so be it.

If the personal attacks don't stop I'm going to close this topic temporarily. If Team 360 wants to post again then I would re-open it. Keep the discussion rational people.

Being the editor of a two-bit, flash-in-the-pan online magazine ...

But isn't this almost the pot calling the kettle black?

I know you no longer have any respect for El Diablo, but I don't understand how you can say anything about his alleged personal attacks and then you make comments such as this.

Just curious.

Simple. That was a statement of my opinion about the magazine, not a personal attack. And I have contributed one article to the magazine, as well, but only did that as a favor to another cacher. My opinion of the magazine is much less of a personal attack than Jerry's editorial that bashed AS and the people in it that was printed in the magazine. I could go all day making statements as to my opinions and still never make personal attacks. Tonight, Jerry has made several personal attacks against me and other members of the community. They were opinions of us, but they were still attacks against us. Telling him the magazine was nothing but a novelty that has lost it's lustre isn't an attack upon him, it's my opinion of the magazine itself. Very much different. I'm not seeing any kettle, and the pot ain't talkin'.

People...

This is a matter that most likely should have been dealt with in email. I would imagine that the resolution of the matter will be dealt with that way. Those of you that have called for Jeremy and CO Admin to post should not hold your breath. I feel certain that Team 360 will be contacted by the site administrators regarding resolving the issue. If a comment regarding the issue comes from the upper level admins, then so be it.

If the personal attacks don't stop I'm going to close this topic temporarily. If Team 360 wants to post again then I would re-open it. Keep the discussion rational people.

There ya go again.......slipping them in while I'm posting........ <_<

Simple. That was a statement of my opinion about the magazine, not a personal attack.

But unnecessary. You could have just said as the editor of an on-line magazine. But by criticizing the magazine as you did, it could very much be conceived as a personal attack.

You comment would have garnered more respect had you just called him an editor.

People...

I don't and I doubt any of really want or need to know what was said or done to fix the initial problem or least apparent initial problem. That said, I believe that the geocaching community should get some sort of response. Could be as simple as "We are not going to do anything" or better, "The problem has been resolved and we can all go back to enjoying geocaching".

No response assumes "We aint do anything and we don't care".

People...

This is a matter that most likely should have been dealt with in email.  I would imagine that the resolution of the matter will be dealt with that way.  Those of you that have called for Jeremy and CO Admin to post should not hold your breath.  I feel certain that Team 360 will be contacted by the site administrators regarding resolving the issue.  If a comment regarding the issue comes from the upper level admins, then so be it.

I don't and I doubt any of really want or need to know what was said or done to fix the initial problem or least apparent initial problem. That said, I believe that the geocaching community should get some sort of response. Could be as simple as "We are not going to do anything" or better, "The problem has been resolved and we can all go back to enjoying geocaching".

No response assumes "We aint do anything and we don't care".

No, no response means "It involves the cache hider and TPTB, and no matter what people think, it wouldnt be proper to do that in public".

If you had an issue with a cache you submitted, would you expect the admins to email you and resolve it that way, or should they post a topic mocking you for not reading the guidelines?

Those of you that have called for Jeremy and CO Admin to post should not hold your breath.

Exactly. This is geocaching, guys. This is the game where the things are kept hidden. This is the game where your intuition & your best guess is what leads you to the goal.

I certainly don't need any whitewash from TPTB. My intuition told me exactly what it was, and I'm happy to stick with whatever conclusions The Force prompts me to make.

As to El-Diablo's blacklist-compiling ... you know, in the flamewars of old, the moment you compared your opponent to Hitler, you were considered to have lost :mad:

This is geocaching, guys. This is the game where the things are kept hidden. This is the game where your intuition & your best guess is what leads you to the goal.

I certainly don't need any whitewash from TPTB. My intuition told me exactly what it was, and I'm happy to stick with whatever conclusions The Force prompts me to make.

Lovely!

Is this a consensus we could all unite behind, and move to constructive threads elsewhere in the forums?

Thank you all.

I have never once bashed TPTB in this forum.

However this reeks of obvious abuse of power. Abuse from admins for what obviously seems to be a personal matter should not be tolerated. If that is what this turns out to be, then COadmin should be removed from that position.

[rest of message removed before pushing submit to avoid my first Warn]

Alright, I'm just gonan comment once on this. Every single time someone has aired dirty laundry in public re: tptb, there has always been another side. Maybe co was wrong. Maybe not. I don't know. Not all the information is there.

And frankly, I don't need to know. I just hope that this issue was first addressed through contact@gc.com before being brought here.

I've have nothing against anybody in this thread. I like all of you, as far as I know you from a forum board. At this point it is -early- Monday morning. Still Sunday on the west coast. Noone in authority is going to be able to address anything except a server outage, perhaps.

So, in the meantime... can't we all just get along? :mad:

I can't believe there are still posts to this topic before anybody has had a chance to repond (referring to Groundspeak). And yes, now I'm sucked in....but just for the moment.

I'm cusious as to WHY everybody thinks they are OWED an explanantion. This is NOT something that affects the ENTIRE caching community. The fact that people have attached themselves to this issue does not give them ownership and a right to demand an apology or some other action from the TPTB.

And yes, there is a mob mentality going on here. Step away from this thread for 24 hours and then come back with a clearer head and see if you don't agree.

Better yet, go spend some quality time with your family. Read a good book. Go find a cache (heaven forbid). Think of a loved one you haven't spoken to a while.

Be thankful you're healthy and have no bigger problems than this to deal with in your life for God's sake. Put in in perspective.

The best thing that can be done now is for EVERYBODY to stop posting to this thread for 24 hours to see what happens (if anything). Otherwise, you are just stoking the fires. Nothing you say or do here is going to affect what TPTB do. It's just venting and attacking now.

Everybody is clear on the issue(s); everything that can be said has been said.

Give them time to act. It's Sunday. Maybe Jeremy (and the others) are actually out living thier lives.

I think it's clear where I stand. If there was a mistake made, it's just that - a mistake. I'm sure nobody here has ever made one.

"Let he who is without sin...." - and I'm NOT religous!!!!

Don't know how else to say it. TPTB have ALWAYS done the right thing. Give them time to do so. Stop the bashing (personal and the Admins).

At this point it is -early- Monday morning.  Still Sunday on the west coast.  Noone in authority is going to be able to address anything except a server outage, perhaps.

So, in the meantime...  can't we all just get along?  :mad:

Thank you.

And yes, there is a mob mentality going on here. Step away from this thread for 24 hours and then come back with a clearer head and see if you don't agree.

Better yet, go spend some quality time with your family. Read a good book. Go find a cache (heaven forbid). Think of a loved one you haven't spoken to a while.

Be thankful you're healthy and have no bigger problems than this to deal with in your life for God's sake. Put in in perspective.

The best thing that can be done now is for EVERYBODY to stop posting to this thread for 24 hours to see what happens (if anything). Otherwise, you are just stoking the fires. Nothing you say or do here is going to affect what TPTB do. It's just venting and attacking now.

Everybody is clear on the issue(s); everything that can be said has been said.

Give them time to act. It's Sunday. Maybe Jeremy (and the others) are actually out living thier lives.

I think it's clear where I stand. If there was a mistake made, it's just that - a mistake. I'm sure nobody here has ever made one.

"Let he who is without sin...." - and I'm NOT religous!!!!

Don't know how else to say it. TPTB have ALWAYS done the right thing. Give them time to do so. Stop the bashing (personal and the Admins).

And thank you too.

I'm cusious as to WHY everybody thinks they are OWED an explanantion.

Well, I just tried to explain why I think we are NOT OWED an explanation (which is why I stayed away from most of this interesting but nearly pointless discussion), and next thing I know, a huge admin brick is hurled in my direction :mad:

By the same admin who seemed to agree with me that calls for Jeremy or CO to explain the situation just don't make sense. Go figure.

I'm cusious as to WHY everybody thinks they are OWED an explanantion. This is NOT something that affects the ENTIRE caching community. The fact that people have attached themselves to this issue does not give them ownership and a right to demand an apology or some other action from the TPTB.

Hi Kealia, I am not a basher and I do try and stay away from the flame wars. The personal attacks bother me and do nothing to further the sport. But in answer to your one question, (your quote) for myself, I would like to see a resolution because just maybe, someday, I might do something totally out of charter and upset an admin. I don't want to think I have to be on eggshells if I do happen to disagree with an admins decision thinking that he/she person could, in a retaliatory move, disable one of my caches. I don't feel I am owed an explanation, but it would help to restore my faith, because maybe this wasn't a retaliatory move but sadly it does sound like it. I don't need or want details, I just want to know & believe that the CG system is a fair and honest system.

Mistakes happen, we are all (last I checked) human. If it was an error, well, people make them. We don't need a witch hunt nor cross burnings. Let's just all step back and give the system a chance to work.

I haven't missed any part of this discussion. I just see the underlying meaning to it.

El Diablo

I'm lost as to what you think the underlying meaning is.

Can you answer me this:

Should the ORIGINAL STASH TRIBUTE PLAQUE cache have been archived in the manner that it was? Why or why not?

Should it have been archived a different way?

Is it TEAM 360's fault that the cache was archived? Why or why not?

Why is Snoopy trying to squeeze the life out of poor little Woodstock in this picture? :mad:

Please realize that I'm not trying to trivialize the concept of this thread, but I honestly think this is needed:

Again, absolutely NO disrespect towards anyone is intended. I'm not trying to derail this topic. Just add a little bit of hope.

Good morning everyone! Donuts (stunods :mad: ) are avaliable in the breakroom and fresh coffee is brewing. Let's all take a break and walk away from the computer for a few minutes.

* Find your wife / husband / child / cat / dog and hug that sucker! Open the blinds and look out the window. Notice how the first rays of the rising sun warm your face and make you want to smile.

* Load a few waypoints in the 'ol GPSr and hunt a cache or two today. It will really put this mess in perspective.

Trust me! Would Uncle 9Key lie to you!? :huh:

Edited by 9Key

Some of you have said that the Tribute Plaque cache is unarchived now so lets all forget about this now . Some of you have noted that we arent owed an explanation for COAdmin's actions. I differ in both those opinions in that it could affect decisions made later on this site and under his authority. It does seem that a wrong was initiated by CO and right now it doesnt look like a simple mistake either. Of course as was earlier pointed out, we dont have all the facts. Are we owed all the facts? Maybe not, but it wouldnt be good to just try and sweep this one under the rug.

We are owed more that just a "its taken care of now, everyone go about your business". :mad:

Agree with many others here that the archiving of the cache was bad. But what has me concerned is the lack of concern for history/traditions with Groundspeak. First the yellow jeep cache was archived and now the plaque. These are two caches that are important to the geocaching community and continuity.

I would sure like these two caches (and maybe others that don't come to mind right now) to be treated differently than the average cache.

FWIW - If CO Admin is still in the mood to archive caches that haven't been maintained for a few weeks we have plenty of other ones in the NW that fit that category. If that truly were the reason it was archived we need a little consistency here.

FWIW - If CO Admin is still in the mood to archive caches that haven't been maintained for a few weeks we have plenty of other ones in the NW that fit that category. If that truly were the reason it was archived we need a little consistency here.

Now that's a constructive approach. I'd be happy to contribute a few to the list!

In less than an hour I have learned the following:

A cache was administratively archived.

Retaliation is felt.

The geocaching community thinks so, too. Some don't.

Geocachers galore want an explination.

Temporary unarchival. Waddup, PTB?

Mob forming.

The Devil made public his short list.

A few flames escaped from Hades.

Flames fly from earth.

A man from a mountain (and his dog) and others called for peace.

A shortlister called for popcorn (before the flames flew).

Lines were drawn, names were called, dinner with the wife was had by The Devil.

The flaming raged.

Calls for peace were ill-timed for the electrocuted cat, but heard none-the-less.

TPTB will decide, in time, and advise the masses; or not.

Snoopy squishes Woodstock. (In a good way.)

The East-coasters have gone to bed and arisen already, only to see that the battle still rages. Us West-Siders are getting sleepy. Very sleepy.

And the cache remains unarchived. :huh:

This is the start of a great soap opera: When Cachers Collide. :mad:

Next installment: Will the Admin ever explain himself? What will Jeremy and Hydee do? Will the cache see a spike in number of finds/day out of respect, or fear of losing it forever? Will there be enough popcorn to get us all through? :D

(Now where's the little button that will get me where I want to go???)

Suspicion of heavy-handed tactics? A taciturn executive power? A judiciary process under wraps? A clamoring populace with divided loyalties? Members of the press siding with the governing body? The mobs held in check by threats of lock-up? A second in command, plagued by scandal, remains unavailable at a secret, undisclosed location?

Is it the war on terror? No! It's the forums! :mad:

I love the line saying the "community wants to know". That's not true, those posting on the forums want to know. They represent only a small portion of the community. It may surprise you to learn that most of the community doesn't care one little bit about this sort of stuff.

My local cache club has more than 200 members. Of those, maybe 5 post with any regularity to the forums, primarily in the regional forum. The rest can't be bothered with the forums because of threads like this one. They simply prefer to go caching. To them, it's just a hobby. If it went away, and some day it will, they would get on with life without any real problems.

This is an issue between 360 and TPTB. Let them resolve it. If TPTB think CO was grossly out of line, they'll probably just tell him to be more careful next time. I doubt it goes that far. I seriously doubt a public hanging will be scheduled.

Simple.  That was a statement of my opinion about the magazine, not a personal attack.

But unnecessary. You could have just said as the editor of an on-line magazine. But by criticizing the magazine as you did, it could very much be conceived as a personal attack.

You comment would have garnered more respect had you just called him an editor.

You are correct, and I apologize to the other staff of the magazine; Carleenp, Huntnlady, Sept1c_Tank, Criminal, just to name a few......please accept my apologies. I could have and should have phrased that differently.

I love the line saying the "community wants to know". That's not true, those posting on the forums want to know. They represent only a small portion of the community. It may surprise you to learn that most of the community doesn't care one little bit about this sort of stuff.

My local cache club has more than 200 members. Of those, maybe 5 post with any regularity to the forums, primarily in the regional forum. The rest can't be bothered with the forums because of threads like this one. They simply prefer to go caching. To them, it's just a hobby. If it went away, and some day it will, they would get on with life without any real problems.

This is an issue between 360 and TPTB. Let them resolve it. If TPTB think CO was grossly out of line, they'll probably just tell him to be more careful next time. I doubt it goes that far. I seriously doubt a public hanging will be scheduled.

I'm sure that even if those who don't come into the forums had one of their caches archived out of what appeared to be a retalitory and unwarranted strike by an approver, they would care. If they don't care, then their passion for geocaching isn't high enough to be placing caches in the first place.