Idiot's Guide To Paperless Caching

hamgran

I know there are a zillion threads on paperless caching, but I've spent some serious hours, combed through quite a few, and none are helping.

I own an E-Trex Vista, and just bought an IPAQ 2210, hoping to start caching paperless, and save a few trees. I've downloaded GSAK into my PC, and GPXSonar into the Ipaq, and also I've downloaded Streets & Trips into the PC and Pocket Streets into the Ipaq.

Problem? I just can't figure any of it out! How to move my pocket queries from EasyGPS to GSAK, then how to move the particular GSAK database (once I've amended the pocket query) into the Ipaq, how to involve Pocket Streets with all this (even how to get the maps INTO Pocket Streets!), so I have a map on the Ipaq with the cache pinpointed...

I haven't even begun to think about connecting the Ipaq to the Vista directly, if that is actually possible, and the benefits that would come out of it.

I'm at a loss. Is there such a thing as an Idiot's Guide to Paperless Caching out there? Or is there some kind and patient soul who will take pity on me and guide me through this?

Planning on taking a trip to the eastern provinces next Friday and would like to have this stuff in my Ipaq by then, if possible...

A couple of hints.

Make sure you are downloading Pocket Query .gps files not .loc files. .gpx files contain all the cache web page details such as logs, hints, etc. while .loc only has the coordinates and name.

Forget EasyGPS. You don't need it. GSAK is all you need to convert Pocket Queries for your 2210. After you select the caches you want to install inthe 2210, save those points as a gpx file to your desktop. Copy that file into the 2210. I use a SD memory card in my 2215 (I don't know what you have with the 2210??). This will allow you to see the cache "web" page using the GPXSONAR program.

I can't help you with Streets, I use Mapopolis which is a autonaviagation mapping program. If you use Mapopolis (80-100 dollars) you'll get all the street maps you need and be able to create cache icons on it using another program called GPXTOMAPLET. If you cannect you Vista to the 2210, you can then do autonaviation and see where you are on the 2210 maps.

Good luck. The caches will still be there when you finally get it to work.

Alan

No, Cachemate doesn't work on PPC, it's Palm only. GPXSonar reportedly works pretty well on PPC, but since I don't have a PPC I can't promise anything.

I agree with Alan2, if you're using GSAK then EasyGPS is just unnecessary duplication and complication. Forget about it completely, just drag your pocket query zipfile into GSAK, or tell GSAK to open the zipfile. Do what you want with the caches in GSAK, then export a .gpx file that you put on your PPC. As for the maps, I can't help, since I don't have a PPC.

Edited by NightPilot
<_<  We have a Magellan SporTrak Map.We are putting on P.C. tonight MapSend Streets and  Destinations.What else could we use to paperless caching for our type of GPS? Team Reno

Actually, you'll need a PDA (Palm type), a PPC or a laptop. PDA is probably the least expensive way to do it. If you go Palm, then get Cachemate (7$) for the Palm, and GSAK for your computer. There are other options, but I like this combo best. PPC, can't help you there.

Oh yeah, become a premium member so you can download .gpx files.

Edited by harleycache

Many, many thanks for the prompt replies!

gm100guy: I've seen the Geocaching University link before. It deals with Palms, not PPCs (the ipaq is a PPC).

Harley: Cachemate apparently works on Palms only, though I have downloaded GPXSonar: a similar program for PPCs.

Alan 2: excellent hints. I solved a few of my problems when I deleted EasyGPS from my computer. (And, the caches will still be there - down east - but I won't!)

Geocyclist: expect an e-mail from me shortly!

(My most pressing problems right now: how to export individual caches or a cache database from GSAK to GPXSonar on my PPC. I'm doing it the (very) long way right now - putting the query, as received, into my PPC - but I can't modify it by deleting caches from it before doing so.

And, how to associate the Pocket Streets program with the GPXSonar program in my PPC. I have the maps of the area in Pocket Streets, and I have some caches in that area in my GPXSonar, but can't seem to figure out how to get the caches marked on the maps.)

I'll assume that you're using v1.2.2 Beta of GpxSonar on PPC 2003. In order for GpxSonar to export cache locations to MSFT Pocket S&T, simply name your map file the same as the name of the file that you want to export. Check the export preferences under tools.

To be clear let me give you an example:

1. Let's assume that you've placed a map of your area called Map.mps in the \My Documents folder on your PPC

2. Let's assume that you've configured GpxSonar to export caches to MSFT Street & Trips Pushpins under the name \My Documents\Map.psp (no need to enter the extension since it's done for you)

Now, whatever caches show in the main list will appear in MSFT S&T when you export to it. GpxSonar will auto-launch MSFT S&T for you too on PPC 2003.

I hope this helps.

PS: when you have software related questions like this, you'll get faster responses if you post directly in the 'GPS Software & Units' forum.

Edited by -=(GEO)=-

Thanks, Geo, that did the trick! What a relief when I finally saw the caches appear on the maps. Your help was much appreciated.

One thing I've noticed, though... when I did the pocket query for the PEI caches, there were 23 I think, and I wanted them all, so I imported them into the PDA from GSAK in one file. And therefore was able to get all the PEI caches on the one PEI map.

However, when I got the pocket query for NB, there were about 150 or so and I didn't want them all - so I deleted the ones that I didn't want from the GSAK file, but when I imported the file (containing about 15 caches that I wanted) into the PDA (GPXSonar), the 150 were imported! It wouldn't just take the 15. So, what I did was move them from GSAK to GPXSonar one by one, and I thought that worked out okay. But now I realize that if the fifteen are in fifteen separate files,I seem to be able only to have one cache on the map at once. It won't take more than one file.

What think ye?

- hamgran

I don't know if Cachemate works on PPCs, but if you get a PDA, I would suggest you check it out. Very easy to use and you can update your logs in the field. One of the best $7 I've spent on this sport/game/activity/endeavor.

My only complaint with Cachemate (and the author listens to complaints quite well) is that if you go to the "log" page and log your own, it does not chage the cache's catagory. This makes it harder to find the caches you might have logged (10-20 out of 500). It is a great program, and when jermy opens the sandbox up for developers, perhaps the bext version will allow the "log" page to be posted.

Bear

I have an IPAQ 3670 (yup, an ancient one) with PPC 2002. Run only GPxSonar and GPSTuner. Use the .gpx pocket queries. I get two, one I rename work.gpx and the other home.gpx (about 25 miles apart).

They are copied into the synch directory on the PC. ActiveSync ensures they are copied to the PPC. Use GPxSonar to write out the .loc file that GPSTuner needs.

Now, it looks like Mapopolis may come in handy if I decide to cache out of my local area(s).

Thanks, Geo, that did the trick! What a relief when I finally saw the caches appear on the maps. Your help was much appreciated.

One thing I've noticed, though... when I did the pocket query for the PEI caches, there were 23 I think, and I wanted them all, so I imported them into the PDA from GSAK in one file. And therefore was able to get all the PEI caches on the one PEI map.

However, when I got the pocket query for NB, there were about 150 or so and I didn't want them all - so I deleted the ones that I didn't want from the GSAK file, but when I imported the file (containing about 15 caches that I wanted) into the PDA (GPXSonar), the 150 were imported! It wouldn't just take the 15. So, what I did was move them from GSAK to GPXSonar one by one, and I thought that worked out okay. But now I realize that if the fifteen are in fifteen separate files,I seem to be able only to have one cache on the map at once. It won't take more than one file.

What think ye?

- hamgran

Hamgran, did you re save teh file before exporting. If not, it would have re exported the origional with all the extra waypoints.

Idiots Guide To Using Pocket Queries On A Pocket PC

1.) Get gc.com membership

2.) Configure pocket query

3.) Load GPX Sonar on your PPC

4.) Copy GPX file to PPC

5.) Run GPX Sonar & Load File

Done. You only need to do steps 4 & 5 after you get PQs coming. EEEZZZ

(And since -=(GEO)=- is watching this thread... THANKS! Sonar rocks my world.)

Edited by trippy1976
Idiots Guide To Using Pocket Queries On A Pocket PC

1.) Get gc.com membership

2.) Configure pocket query

3.) Load GPX Sonar on your PPC

4.) Copy GPX file to PPC

5.) Run GPX Sonar & Load File

Done. You only need to do steps 4 & 5 after you get PQs coming. EEEZZZ

(And since -=(GEO)=- is watching this thread... THANKS! Sonar rocks my world.)

Bravo!

My sentiments exactly. Sonar is the killerapp for caching with ppc's.