What's Your Favorite Part Of Geocaching?

Milbank

Like the title says,

I like everything about geocaching from searching online and planning the day's route for a caching trip to getting outdoors with the family, but my favorite part of caching has to be when you start to zero in on the cache.

Once the GPS starts saying your with in 30ft, 20ft, 10ft, then you have to start looking around for the cache. That's when it really starts getting fun.

When I caching with my daughter my favorite part is the walk to the cache and how she points out every flower and stops to examine each bug...

Oh and also the wide-eyed wonderment when we find the "treasure" and she gets to see what others before have left.

Amazingly even when the box is full of McCrap she either finds some hidden trinket that I didn't see way at the bottom or she is just content to leave something and take nothing.

So, I guess when I cache with her my favorite part is seeing the world through a childs eyes. :(

When I cache alone I my favorite part is trying to get that same feeling through a hike or a tricky/challenging cache. I also love being exposed to new places and local history. :D

PandyBat,

Out caching late last night? :(

I wish.

A combination of things really. Couldn't sleep, ate too much chocolate too close to bedtime, worried about things that have popped up around here lately.....just a menagerie of things all culminating at once.

I'm going to get a few hours sleep and then go take out my frustrations later on a few caches. That should help me forget my troubles for a while.

HEY! That's what I like about geocaching! Forgetting your troubles.

Coooooool.

Coooooool.

Well there's THAT, and getting out with friends.

Those are the two highlights for me, the rest is about equal (the hike, the find, etc.)

I agree, getting out with friends and family. I've long since given up no the cache groupies I've heard about. dadgum rock stars have all the luck.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Coooooool.

Well there's THAT, and getting out with friends.

Those are the two highlights for me, the rest is about equal (the hike, the find, etc.)

I agree, getting out with friends and family. I've long since given up no the cache groupies I've heard about. dadgum rock stars have all the luck.

:(

My favorite part has been the renewal in my interest of instructing.

Through geocaching I have taught Scouts and Cadets on the use of the gps and doing hikes in local parks show the youth that there is neat places to explore right in there own back yard.

And it gets us out as a family doing stuff in the woods.

But don't ask my wife how much all the extra's cost..........

:(

Edited by gm100guy

A lot of times I cache alone. But I really love it when my other team members join me.

What I really like is finding it before them. I move away from the cache and shout, "Found it!". Then I stand back and make them find it too and I won't give them hints. I just love standing there watching them look. Most of them find it within a couple of minutes. There have been a few times where they give up and I show them where it's at.

They also do the 'found it' routine just to laugh and watch the other team members looking around. It's just better when I do it because *I* get to laugh at them. :(

Sometimes we don't yell 'found it'. Sometimes we yell whatever catch phrase we decided to use that day.

A lot of us are Southpark fans, so lately we've been yelling, "They took our jobs!" when we find a cache. But the way we say it really makes us all crack up. If you ever saw that episode, you'll know what we mean. It sounds something like, "They tooooourjawwwwwbs!"

Yes, my team is a bunch of goofballs. :D

Enjoying Mother Nature's wondrous works by sticking my head into grub-filled, opossum-scented logs while being simultaneously dehydrated and de-blooded by a cloud of starving mosquitoes....

... and the fine golf ball collection.

The best part for us is the sharing of time. Since there are not alot of caches nearby to us that we haven't already done, we have to travel further afield. So we try to plan on doing 3/4. The drive to these provides a non interupted time to catch up on the weeks doings, followed by caching, and then a stop at a scenic stop for a picnic lunch. :(

I enjoy the final stages of the hunt, when it takes awhile and we poke and poke, scratch out heads and poke some more. And then, someone finally says, "I see it".

I also really like to get out with the family. Nice to have some conversation and no TV’s to compete with.

The other part I really enjoy is when people find the ones I have hidden. I love to read the logs. When I can't be out finding a cache, I like to see that others are.

I most enjoy the experience of getting to the cache. My favorite is a nice hike, but if I am finding urban micros, then it is often the drive around town seeing things as I go to the cache.

I particularly enjoy my searches for cache placements. I don't have a huge number of hides largely because I get picky about placement. I really like getting out the Delorme Atlas, looking for an off the beaten path rural area and then driving there to check it out. Half the time, I decide not to put a cache there but had fun looking at the site. I recently found what I have decided is one of my favorite eastern Nebraska hikes when placing the Saxman Needs to Visit Nebraska cache. The whole process of placing that was fun. I checked out what turned out to be a not very scenic lake located off some minimum maintenance roads. After deciding not to place the cache there, a side road was spotted. That led to a separate area with a great hike among flowers with nice views. Quite the pleasent surprise! Of course the downside is that from one of the logs, apparently a "view" of a nudist is also possible at the area. :(

Okay, maybe it's not my favorite part, but I love stopping in the middle of the day in some shabby little diner for a cheeseburger. Today's greasy spoon had a thing on the menu called a "muffburger"! Turns out, it's a cheeseburger on a Portuguese bolo -- which, in case you've never had one, is a sweet and sometimes slightly citrussy bun or pancake-like thing. Also called a Portuguese muffin (hence muffburger), Portuguese sweetbread, or bolo levedo (leavened cake). I know sweet doesn't sound right, but trust me -- I discovered all by myself years ago that they make fabulous sandwiches, particularly hamburgers.

The proprietors mentioned in passing the good customers who bring their plates to the counter when they're done. Ahem. Right. Got the hint. They said single men almost always do this, men who live in a household full of women almost never do.

It's the sort of place that's the hub of its little neighborhood, in part because the couple running it are friendly and chatty. It's for sale in Rhode Island, if anyone out there hankers for a career in food services and wants to ensure that the legend of the muffburger lives on...

Okay, maybe it's not my favorite part, but I love stopping in the middle of the day in some shabby little diner for a cheeseburger. Today's greasy spoon had a thing on the menu called a "muffburger"! Turns out, it's a cheeseburger on a Portuguese bolo -- which, in case you've never had one, is a sweet and sometimes slightly citrussy bun or pancake-like thing. Also called a Portuguese muffin (hence muffburger), Portuguese sweetbread, or bolo levedo (leavened cake). I know sweet doesn't sound right, but trust me -- I discovered all by myself years ago that they make fabulous sandwiches, particularly hamburgers.

The proprietors mentioned in passing the good customers who bring their plates to the counter when they're done. Ahem. Right. Got the hint. They said single men almost always do this, men who live in a household full of women almost never do.

It's the sort of place that's the hub of its little neighborhood, in part because the couple running it are friendly and chatty. It's for sale in Rhode Island, if anyone out there hankers for a career in food services and wants to ensure that the legend of the muffburger lives on...

Could you make one of those into a TB and send it to CA?

Sounds delicious! :(

Favorite part is the history and little known areas. I could easily have double or triple my finds right now, but I've been somewhat selective in my hunts.

REALLY enjoyed putting together my multi of Mountain History and reading the logs from finders.