Total Records Of Caches Found Don't Jive....

Finds showing in total record of caches found don't jive with total of caches found showing in profiles.

What would cause someone's count of caches found to go from one total to the next depending on what page on GC.com you are looking at?

For example, click on someones profile, (don't use mine because mine is showing correctly) then click on the User Stats tab, then click on (All Caches Found) and then look where it says "Total Records: xxx - Page 1". What would make that count different than what it says their count is in their profile? Because technically, going by the total records of caches found listing, some people have announced milestones that they haven't even reached yet. Am I missing something?

It seems the only users that have such a discrepancy in their totals are those that have logged “Locationless (Reverse) Caches.” You’ll notice that, for each user, the total on the second page (the “All Caches Found” page) is equal to the total on the first page (the tabbed page) minus the number of locationless caches that that particular user has logged.

Matt

Yep looks like locationless aren't listed under "all cache finds" (wonder if that's new). I have 246 finds and 4 locationless among them. When I click on "all cache finds" it shows 242 and the locationless that I logged yesterday isn't even on the list. I didn't page through it to see if the other 3 are there or not, but I bet not.

I don't know what you're looking at ... mine match up exactly, and they include 4 "locationless" caches.

I could understand, however, if locationless caches were not included in the count. But I suppose if the locationless caches were excluded, then all those "event caches" that are really nothing more than drinking parties should be similarly excluded. :(

Edited by BassoonPilot
I don't know what you're looking at ... mine match up exactly, and they include 4 "locationless" caches.

I could understand, however, if locationless caches were not included in the count. But I suppose if the locationless caches were excluded, then all those "event caches" that are really nothing more than drinking parties should be similarly excluded. :(

Mine match up exactly too but I also don't have any pocket caches or multiple cache finds logged for events. So that's why I was thinking it was off for those that do have those types of caches logged.

I don't have any locationless caches logged either.

Nope, I checked and yours don't match up. A click on your profile shows 1,111 finds. Click on your "all cache finds" and it shows 1,107, so apparently your 4 locationless aren't counted either.

Ok...I see...yep, it's the locationless caches that are making the difference.

So that brings up another question.......how is it showing that they found 4 caches at one event yet it has only the one listing for the event itself? I'm assuming I could go through each page of caches found one by one and count all the listings, or maybe that multiple find logs and pocket cache logs aren't being counted in totals. Which is it?

The more I type the more it doesn't make sense.....lol

Ok...basically what I'm asking now is, if someone claims more than one find at a cache or an event, does it count towards your total cache finds? If so, why doesn't it list the event more than once when you do the above search I started this thread with?

Edited by PandyBat

1. Since sometime in May, locationless cache count finds have not shown up in search result lists for all caches found by a user, but they are still counted on the user's profile. This has been discussed in a couple of threads over in the Geocaching.com forum. The definitive answer from Jeremy can be found here.

2. Yes, if for some reason a multiple find is allowed on a single cache, the smiley face will count towards your total statistics, but each unique cache page only returns once in the search results on the database.

What do you mean, PandyBat, by "pocket cache?" I've never heard that term before.

Matt

It's when people carry around some sort of micro container on their person at an event. It's used mainly as an icebreaker. Usually the rules are that you have to introduce yourself to a person before asking them if they have a pocket cache on them. If they do, they show it to you, you (usually) sign the logbook included. Most people claim them as finds for the event. They then end up with multiple pocket cache finds for an event along with any other caches hidden at the event.

What do you mean, PandyBat, by "pocket cache?" I've never heard that term before.

Matt

It's when people carry around some sort of micro container on their person at an event. It's used mainly as an icebreaker. Usually the rules are that you have to introduce yourself to a person before asking them if they have a pocket cache on them. If they do, they show it to you, you (usually) sign the logbook included. Most people claim them as finds for the event. They then end up with multiple pocket cache finds for an event along with any other caches hidden at the event.

That just went to the very top of my lame cache list :(

I don't log pocket caches. I also don't log multiple caches from an event. But I don't look down on those who do. They can do whatever they want. The whole reason I even started this topic was because I was called a cheater for logging tbs from an event, which don't count towards total stats, by a person that has logged pocket caches and multiple caches from events before. That's why I wanted to know if logging several finds on a cache count towards your total find stats.Read this thread and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I want to reiterate that if tbs counted towards total stats, then I wouldn't log them either. I just do it now mainly for fun. But I never realized how it affected the tb owner with the email bombardment either. So I probably won't be logging them next time just for this reason.

Edited by PandyBat