Cache Events, Any Bright Ideas?

Stuey

I've just created and had approved a caching event based in Exeter, UK on the first Sunday in September. I've thought for some time about this, and this is what I have done so far:

I approached all local cache setters asking them when they were available for an event, and to suggest a location.

From the many responses I had, I chose a date, and the location (a family friendly pub).

I asked them if they were able to create a cache within 15 miles to be released that day, so there would be many brand new caches available for just the event attendees.

I will ask cache setters to bring printouts of their already approved caches which will be collected by event attendees (the caches are not to be made live until at least that evening by the UK reviewers).

I created an event cache page explaining how it works, including hyperlinks to high detail and general maps of the area.

I asked people to post a note to say they were coming, whether or not they were creating a cache, and suggested that they watch the event cache page for any new notes.

The focus of the event is on cache hunting. I want this one to work well, and so far, we have 8 cachers who will create at least 10 new caches for the day, and with 30 caches already within 15 miles from Dartmoor, four river valleys, and the World Heritage Coast towards Sidmouth, it should be good for locals and visitors alike.

So, what else do I need to do to make the event special? Any suggestions from people who have attended other events would be appreciated.

We've had real good luck in with "Pocket Caches" at our events. A pocket cache is a micro cache that several secretly appointed people keep in their pocket. The idea is that in order to log the cache, you have to introduce yourself first. The cache is quietly slipped to the recipient as to not give away who has them in their posession (and then returned). It's a great way to get everyone to introduce themselves and to get to know everyone because you don't know who is carrying the cache, and you get to log a cache or two, too. Make sure you mark them with a name, number, etc. for identification.

Jim

We've had real good luck in with "Pocket Caches" at our events. A pocket cache is a micro cache that several secretly appointed people keep in their pocket. The idea is that in order to log the cache, you have to introduce yourself first. The cache is quietly slipped to the recipient as to not give away who has them in their posession (and then returned). It's a great way to get everyone to introduce themselves and to get to know everyone because you don't know who is carrying the cache, and you get to log a cache or two, too. Make sure you mark them with a name, number, etc. for identification.

Jim

Now, THAT is a neat idea! Gotta use that one for our next event!

One I've been toying with is a "thumb race" to see who can enter coords into their GPS quickly. Write down random coords on a big sheet of paper, and whoever gets the coords and GC number in quickest wins a token prize.

If you have the room...

A cacher's "Swap meet" - I don't know what the term you use over the pond is. Basically you have folks bring in some of their old equipment and sell/trade in the parking lot or indoors if there's room. A handy way for new cachers to stock up or upgrade.

Arrange a CITO while you're all together.

Invite a local warden/ park ranger / or the equivalent to answer questions about caching activities.

Place a cache INSIDE the pub, disguised as a book for example.

Silly hats, lots of silly hats.