Biodegradable Caches

Anyone thought about an environmentally-friendly biodegradable cache? I was looking at very small cardboard boxes/sparkplug boxes the other day and trying to figure out just how long it would last, if placed in a spot that was sheltered from the weather (underneath something, obviously). Maybe even a small wood box would do. Probably wouldn't last too long in areas of the country that get a lot of precipitation, but out here in the dry Southwest it might be worth a shot.

I wonder if maintenance rules might be different, if the cache was only designated for a 6-month lifespan?

Geo-litter? :P

Anyone out there come across a "bio-cache" yet, or are we stuck in Altoids tins and breath strip containers for now? :o

Ideas? :P

Well, why would anyone buy a DVD that goes bad 48 hours after you open it up?

Lots of people do, though...

It's just a thought: would a bio-cache be a good idea?

Just a logsheet-only one, no trade items inside.

Edited by TEAM 360
:o Found a turd. Think it might be the cache. Am logging it as a find because I came all this way, and there were scraps of what looked like paper intermingled with it. Please let me know if this turd is the cache. Nice spot! Good place for a permanent cache! Took nothing, left nothing, smelled log.
:o Found a turd. Think it might be the cache. Am logging it as a find because I came all this way, and there were scraps of what looked like paper intermingled with it. Please let me know if this turd is the cache. Nice spot! Good place for a permanent cache! Took nothing, left nothing, smelled log.

Great response! Very constructive answer there, thank you for contributing to this thread.

Anyone thought about an environmentally-friendly biodegradable cache?

I've discussed the following idea briefly with the local admin but haven't implemented it yet. The assumption is that a bio-compatible environment-friendly cache may conform to wilderness regulations.

The cache basically consists of a small bast (i.e. birch bark) scroll tucked in a niche of a rock, to be used instead of a logbook. Trades are either discouraged, or limited to natural items (such as rock or wooden items), possibly short-stay travelling gamepieces. All natural materials, no cache container, no McToys, for heaven's sake. As a fairly non-traditional non-virt, this would be classified as a mystery cache.

I think the idea of a biodegradable cache container is a pretty good one as long as the material used (wood might be best) was strong enough. I’m sure it happens quite regularly: a cache is dragged away by an animal, washed away by a flood, or even thrown deep into the woods by a muggle. If a biodegradable cache gets lost, it won’t still be litter a zillion years from now.

Some type of waterproof, yet biodegradable, log paper could also be used. Would Rite In The Rain logbooks biodegrade??

Matt

:D  Found a turd.  Think it might be the cache.  Am logging it as a find because I came all this way, and there were scraps of what looked like paper intermingled with it.  Please let me know if this turd is the cache.  Nice spot!  Good place for a permanent cache!  Took nothing, left nothing, smelled log.

ROFLAO!!

:o:P:P

Thanks for the laugh!

On to the topic . . . what's the point, I don't get it and I'd probably be pretty unhappy if I found a pile of degraded goop.

Happy caching and stuff! :D

Edited by Geo Ho