Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Alan2

Why Is Everyone On Channel 1?

I just started using my Talkabout and it was for business. COntractors mainly. Everyone was on channel 1 wouldn't be so bad except half the time we were picking up Reggae music and all sorts of junk. When I suggested we all switch to another channel, everyone looked at me like I had two heads.

It appears that channel 1 is a "standard" that people are afraid to get off. Was this a coincidence or is that commonaround the country?

tks Alan

Ok, that makes sense-laziness.

I notice Chanel 1 is FRS/GMRS. My Talkabout T5950 says Channel 1-7 and 15-22 are 1 watt all FRS/FMRS. Does that mean I'm transmoitting FMRS or FRS and can I change my tranmission so I'm at 1/2 watt and don't need FMRS license? Tks Alan

Is it legal to use a freq in the FRS for business related communications? I was under the impression it wasn't, but I'm no expert.

Is it legal to use a freq in the FRS for business related communications?  I was under the impression it wasn't, but I'm no expert.

Whether legal or not, it doesn't seem to stop anyone from using whatever channel they like for whatever purpose they like. Every day (even as I type this), our nearby McD's uses FRS channel 8 for their drive-thru (467.5625 MHz - not a GMRS shared frequency), with someone out at the curb using off-the-shelf FRS radios to relay orders. This isn't a temporary stand-in for their regular drive-thru intercom, which works fine, but something they do every day at lunchtime. After the rush dies down, they switch back to regular intercom use (on the commercial frequencies they have been assigned to use).

I'm not endorsing or condoning activities that violate the spirit and/or body of the rules, but FRS/GMRS seems to be about as heavily patrolled as CB - which is to say that it isn't.

I'm not sure about other areas, but around here (Tallahassee, FL) the FRS frequencies are enough of a wasteland that people can (and do) just change channels to get away from the interference. It hasn't (yet) turned into the same sort of morass it seems to have become in other areas.

I notice Chanel 1 is FRS/GMRS. My Talkabout T5950 says Channel 1-7 and 15-22 are 1 watt all FRS/FMRS. Does that mean I'm transmoitting FMRS or FRS and can I change my tranmission so I'm at 1/2 watt and don't need FMRS license? Tks Alan

Could anyone answer my questions?

Tks Alan

I notice Chanel 1 is FRS/GMRS.  My Talkabout T5950 says Channel 1-7 and 15-22 are 1 watt all FRS/FMRS.  Does that mean I'm transmoitting FMRS or FRS and can I change my tranmission so I'm at 1/2 watt and don't need FMRS license?  Tks Alan

Tks Alan

The channels that are set up as shared between FRS and GMRS are generally set to the lower legal wattage. When you go to GMRS dedicated frequencies, the units switch to the higher power level, if available.

The channels that are set up as shared between FRS and GMRS are generally set to the lower legal wattage. When you go to GMRS dedicated frequencies, the units switch to the higher power level, if available.

My impressions is the opposite. It will try to do GMRS power unless it's on a FRS only channel. But different models may do different things.

I went and found the on-line manual. Channels 1-7 are shared FRS/GMRS and it runs 1W. I found no mention of a control to lower the power output to 0.5W for those channels.

Since the maximum output power for FRS is 0.5W, clearly a GMRS license is required to operate legally on CH 1-7 or CH 15-22 (GMRS only) for this unit.

I notice Chanel 1 is FRS/GMRS.  My Talkabout T5950 says Channel 1-7 and 15-22 are 1 watt all FRS/FMRS.  Does that mean I'm transmoitting FMRS or FRS and can I change my tranmission so I'm at 1/2 watt and don't need FMRS license?  Tks Alan

Tks Alan

I don't have the talkabout, but I do have the Cobra PR3000's. Channels 1-7 and 15-22 can be set to "high" power output. Since they are selling these units to the average consumer, I'm pretty sure they don't assume everyone has a FRMS license.

Edited by vw_ev

I don't see any way to change the output on my Talkabouts. Have I missed something?

I don't see any way to change the output on my Talkabouts. Have I missed something?

That makes two of us, no I don't think you're missing anything. You need a GMRS license to legally use Channels 1-7 and 15-22 on those units.