Feature Request-new Caches May Not Be Marked"new"

jon & miki

Some newly placed caches in our area were not flagged with the "new" icon even on the first day they became visible to the general caching public. A little poking around uncovered the most likely reason why.

It looks like the display of the "new" icon is based on the date the cache was hidden, not the date the cache was approved. If the cache owner lists a cache, but doesn't submit it to the approvers for a while or if the approvers take longer than usual to approve a new cache, the new icon may not appear at all since the cache was "hidden" more than a week ago per the dates in the database.

Jeremy - if the date of approval in the data base, could it be used instead of the date hidden to determine whether a cache is new or not?

Jon

And, in a similar vein, when running a query for unfound caches it would be nice if "finds" by the owner could be discounted since they don't really count when you are looking for FTF oppotunities. Some newbie owners don't realise that they should use "Write Note" rather than "Found It" when seeding their cache with TBs. (I had one such the other day which I was fortunate enough to spot and so get an FTF for it)

Come to think of it why does the system even allow owners to post "Found It"s on their own caches? Makes no sense to me (but that one has probably been asked and answered before somewhere)

Come to think of it why does the system even allow owners to post "Found It"s on their own caches? Makes no sense to me (but that one has probably been asked and answered before somewhere)

Event and CITO caches are one case where the "owner" might sensibly post a find. Offhand, I can't think of any others.

Jon