Nextel Gps

P3

:blink: I am completely clueless so far. Went on one half day adventure and now am hooked. I'm trying to figure out a GPS unit to buy and was told that I could get a Nextel phone with a GPS. Would this work for Geocaching? Would it be worth it or too expensive for something that really won't work for Geocaching.

Seriously, I don't even know about downloading stuff yet so I have lots to learn and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Cheers, P3

I believe the GPS on phones is only there for position reporting. Such a case would be calling 911 or maybe I guess asking for directions.... You can't actually navigate with it like a regular GPS though... atleast not yet anyways.

I figured the same, but...

Never Stop for Driving Directions Again.

Spend more time getting things done and no time asking for directions with Nextel GPS solutions for navigation. Thanks to TeleNav™, you'll always know where you're going, even if you go off course.

TeleNav™ by Televigation

Provides phone-based visual and audible turn-by-turn driving directions at a fraction of the cost of comparable vehicle-mounted GPS units. Features include:

Easy-to-follow audible directions

Directions from your current location

Automatic notifications when you've gone off course

Business Finder/Yellow pages - find the nearest gas station, restaurant or one of many businesses across the U.S.

Increase productivity and reduce costs

TeleNav™ 10 — GPS Driving Directions

Ideal for the every day driver, who wants fast and easy driving directions. You get 10 routes/month* including 1/2 MB Total Connect Data

TeleNav™ 50 — GPS Driving Directions

Perfect for fleet and service managers, dispatchers, drivers and field professionals. You get 50 routes/month* including 1 MB of Total Connect Data and speech recognition for entering in a destination.

from the Nextel web site

It CAN be used for geocaching...I have the i730 and there is a Java app you can use to access the GPS functions. The system is slow to update position, but it is possible. I'd still recommend a cheap handheld GPS over the phone for caching anyday.

I believe the GPS on phones is only there for position reporting. Such a case would be calling 911 or maybe I guess asking for directions.... You can't actually navigate with it like a regular GPS though... atleast not yet anyways.

I figured the same, but...

Never Stop for Driving Directions Again.

Spend more time getting things done and no time asking for directions with Nextel GPS solutions for navigation. Thanks to TeleNav™, you'll always know where you're going, even if you go off course.

TeleNav™ by Televigation

Provides phone-based visual and audible turn-by-turn driving directions at a fraction of the cost of comparable vehicle-mounted GPS units. Features include:

Easy-to-follow audible directions

Directions from your current location

Automatic notifications when you've gone off course

Business Finder/Yellow pages - find the nearest gas station, restaurant or one of many businesses across the U.S.

Increase productivity and reduce costs

TeleNav™ 10 — GPS Driving Directions

Ideal for the every day driver, who wants fast and easy driving directions. You get 10 routes/month* including 1/2 MB Total Connect Data

TeleNav™ 50 — GPS Driving Directions

Perfect for fleet and service managers, dispatchers, drivers and field professionals. You get 50 routes/month* including 1 MB of Total Connect Data and speech recognition for entering in a destination.

from the Nextel web site

Wow, that is pretty cool. Too bad it is ridiculously expensive though... They don't even give you the price for the unlimited route plan. I think in the future though when it becomes more popular, they'll have programs you can buy for the phone that will do it without a monthly charge attached.

This is definitely the path cell phones should be taking though... No more stupid games and adding TV to them...

Edited by vw_ev