Magellan Topo Map Cd, Wow!

I just bought a Magellan Map Send Topo CD on the garage sale forum from RockyRiver.

I can not believe how detailed the maps are. :blink:

My town and the other small towns around here are no longer just dots. They now have roads marked in the towns along with parks, river and many other items.

Even the streets and ave. out in the country are marked with the new 911 address. :lol:

It also shows every little water hole including the one at the golf coarse.

If I would have know it was going to be so detailed I would have paid the full retail price for one when I bought my Meridian Gold.

But as it is things worked out for the best thanks to a great forum member named RockyRiver. ;)

Anyone else feel the same way about there Topo CD?

What brand of GPS do you have your Topo maps loaded on?

I also have the Mapsend topo software, There are a few things I think are ice features that Garmin Does not have. Magellen includes all the street names, Garmin does not, Magellan topo will give you a terrain projection on your GPS screen, Garmin will not, When you are running Map Send Topo software on you GPS your elevation is determined by your position on the Map, this is more accurate than sattelite data. While you may find a few mistakes in the maps, there is not a digital made that does not have mistakes on it, I have used most of them and non are perfect.

I have both the MapSend Topo for my Meridian and MapSource Topo for my Garmin 60cs. Your right, both offer a huge improvement over the base maps and you really get the most out of your gpsr by adding them.

I also bought the road maps for each one, Streets & Destinations for the Meridian and City Select for the Garmin. I used my Meridian with just the topo maps for a long time and that was sufficient for caching. I got the S&D maps because it adds a ton on new waypoints for loads of stuff like restaurants and shops. It is handy when you travelling.

City Select does the same for the Garmin, plus it adds the real gem, the auto-routing feature :o. I haven't tried Magellans Direct Route stuff, but my guess is that it works just as well.

I load up both types of maps, topo & street info, on to each GPSr. I mostly use my 60cs with City Select to auto-route me to the cache area in my car. I then will switch to the topo map for hunt on foot.

I find that sometimes one version or the other or one manufacturer's product or the other will have a better representation of a given area than the other. I find it useful to be able to look at them all on my PC beforehand and making my decision of which to use during the hunt based on that.

Edited by Team Trout
I also have the Mapsend topo software, There are a few things I think are ice features that Garmin Does not have. Magellen includes all the street names, Garmin does not, Magellan topo will give you a terrain projection on your GPS screen, Garmin will not, When you are running Map Send Topo software on you GPS your elevation is determined by your position on the Map, this is more accurate than sattelite data. While you may find a few mistakes in the maps, there is not a digital made that does not have mistakes on it, I have used most of them and non are perfect.

Just to add to what JohnnyVegas has already put in... I have noted that paper maps also have errors in them and not all agree on the errors in the same manner that not all digital maps agree on the errors.

For example, I have seen streams drawn to flow up hill to flow down the other side of the ridge. Vallies where there were ridges, and vice verse.

It depends upon what data was used as the base to build the maps to begin. For all intents and purposes, the data is mostly correct, but take the data you have with a grain of salt and exercise your common sense.

Anyway, to stay OT, I have Topo loaded on my MeriPlat and never looked back until Direct Route came out. I'm considering it, but it isn't completely necessary for my purposes.

I also have the Mapsend topo software, There are a few things I think are ice features that Garmin Does not have. Magellen includes all the street names, Garmin does not, Magellan topo will give you a terrain projection on your GPS screen, Garmin will not, When you are running Map Send Topo software on you GPS your elevation is determined by your position on the Map, this is more accurate than sattelite data. While you may find a few mistakes in the maps,  there is not a digital made that does not have mistakes on it, I have used most of them and non are perfect.

Just to add to what JohnnyVegas has already put in... I have noted that paper maps also have errors in them and not all agree on the errors in the same manner that not all digital maps agree on the errors.

For example, I have seen streams drawn to flow up hill to flow down the other side of the ridge. Vallies where there were ridges, and vice verse.

It depends upon what data was used as the base to build the maps to begin. For all intents and purposes, the data is mostly correct, but take the data you have with a grain of salt and exercise your common sense.

Anyway, to stay OT, I have Topo loaded on my MeriPlat and never looked back until Direct Route came out. I'm considering it, but it isn't completely necessary for my purposes.

I am using Direct on my Meridian gold to get the the general area of the cache as I find myself having to look for caches in areas in which I do not know my way around, it works great fot that, I just leave the Meridain Gold in my truck for drivintg then use a Spor track map to zero in on the cache.