Don't Leave Food Items...

velvet_elvis

I don't know if anyones mentioned this before, but I'm getting a little concerned about ppl leaving food, candy, and wrappers in the caches. Animals could open the cache, and spread the contents all over. This could create a negative image for the sport if it happened often enough, and could even cause caches to be prohibited in some areas. I hope we will be able to regulate ourselves, before some authority does it for us.

From the guidelines:

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

I've found several caches that have been destroyed by animals, one because scented soap was left in the cache :blink:

Food in caches has long been a topic of discussion. It attracts animals and can mean sure death for a cache container if it's not an ammo can, and even then, a bear will tear right through an ammo can. It's a bad idea, and I can't recall a time when it was ever a good idea.

Anything with a scent may attract a hungry animal. this includes scented candles, and air fresheners.

NO: Food, drugs, alcohol, knives, firestarters (matches - lighters), ammunition, fireworks. Common sense is our best tool, let's use it.

I'm not eating food I would find in a cache, anyway. Who knows where it's been? Even if I have complete trust in the previous cachers, it may be contaminated by geomuggles. Even then, natural conditions (mold and mildew) could affect it. What would you possibly drop in that I might want to eat, anyway?

I remember reading in a book or FAQ that leaving bottles of water might be a good idea for hot and thirsty cachers, but even then, I'm not sure I'm ready to trust the kindness of strangers just like that.

I mean, nothing personal.... :)

I have a cache that somebody found and wrote a disparaging note in the log and left a candy bar. From the note, they were obviously familiar with Geocaching and didn't like it. Instead of just looting the cache, they left it on top of its rock cairn with a candy bar in it. It was found and fixed before anything happened. Strange, huh? :blink:

I have noticed more and more Cache's are containing Items that are either Inappropriate, Or on the edge of in appropriate. I have seen Scented Soap, Pills, Matchs, A coin with a naked women on it Numerous food Items. I Wish people would think before they trade. People need to think to themselves, is this appropriate for a child?? Will an animal Sniff it out??? Could it cause an Environmental Problem??? (Directed at lighters, Matches Etc.)

I have a cache that somebody found and wrote a disparaging note in the log and left a candy bar. From the note, they were obviously familiar with Geocaching and didn't like it.

Did they give a reason for hating it so much?

I haven't actually seen the log, but have only been told of its nature. My guess is, that since the cache is in a multi-use area, they are hunters who have been disturbed by hikers and geocachers. The main use of t he area is Fishing. <_<

For awhile, someone was leaving huge bags of potpourri in many of our local caches. Besides possibly attracting animals, they took up too much room in all but the largest ammo can, they made everything in the cache smell sickeningly sweet, and pitty the poor cache when the stuff got wet or the bag tore open. I kept CITOing the stuff out of what seemed like every other cache I found for a while. Fortunately, whoever it was seems to have stopped (or run out), since I haven't found it lately.

Add potpourri to the list of don'ts!

There's nothing so uncommon as common sense (forget who said that, but it's too true).

No smelly anything in caches is a no-brainer given. But I'm wondering...

Would a sealed can be o.k.? I mean, surely animals can't smell through that, can they? I'm not talking about routinely placing can goods in caches, but for my recent new "Clam Cowboy" cache (that uses a clam chowder recipe for one of the clues) - I placed a small can of clams in the cache just for fun. So somebody might use the cache recipe to actually make the chowder.

Did I do a a bad thing? <_<

No smelly anything in caches is a no-brainer given. But I'm wondering...

Would a sealed can be o.k.? I mean, surely animals can't smell through that, can they? I'm not talking about routinely placing can goods in caches, but for my recent new "Clam Cowboy" cache (that uses a clam chowder recipe for one of the clues) - I placed a small can of clams in the cache just for fun. So somebody might use the cache recipe to actually make the chowder.

Did I do a a bad thing? <_<

NO, not even a can. I found a cache totally destroyed because of a can of Fish Filets in mustard sauce. I mean come on! If you don't want to eat that stuff at home, why do you think a cacher wants it when you throw it away in a cache? The container was chewed, the can was gnawed on, the trade items were scattered and ruined by the elements. Yes animals can smell it. The cans pick up smells in the processing that doesn't come off. They pick up more smells in the supermarket.

;) The last cache I did had several candy bars in it along with a sealed pop-tarts pouch. I'm now thinking I should have removed the food items but at the time thought it would be improper. I did post in my log that there was food in the cache in hopes that the cache owner would remove them. Would I have been out of line to take it upon myself to remove the food items? Just curious
What about using a plastic coffee can as a cache container? (the big red plastic ones with the black lids)... I wonder if even after running it through the dishwasher if it would contain enough "coffee smell" to be a bad cache container...

A local cache utilizes one of these containers you are talking about, and it works fairly well. I didn't smell any coffee, but you do have to wonder about waterproofness. The lids don't seem to be the tightest fitting.

I've noticed more and more food items in caches as well. Recently I have enountered: A souvenier size jar of marmalade, a chocolate bar, gum, half a package of Tic-Tacs, and several airline size liquor bottles (w/ contents!).

It seems we have found several caches with doggie biscuits in them. While the intentions are good, I can't help but expect wild animals to want to vandalize the cache for a free nibble. I always have the urge to throw them out (but never have the nerve--sometimes they are placed there by the cache owners themselves!). If it were my cache, though, I wouldn't think twice of throwing the dog food away.