*.mps Files Not Available?

Tubby Rower

Someone had posted a tracklog to some trails at a local park on this cache page and now that I have my new 76CS I'd like to be able to see them. But alas, something is amiss with the *.mps file that is attached there.

Is GC.com no longer allowing upload/download of *.mps files?

If someone else can get to it can you post it here?

Files of this type are not currently supported on cache pages. Likewise, a file cannot be uploaded into a forum post. Perhaps if someone has the file they can arrange to send it by e-mail. You might try contacting people who attended the event.

Yes, that's basically it... there is a security concern about allowing people to upload just any old file to a cache page. Unless and until some security protocols are added, you're pretty much limited to uploading image files. This change happened around the same time that a lot of html features were also disabled, including javascript on cache pages.

I don't have time at the moment to run a complete search, but there are prior threads in this forum that discuss this issue. I also recall that Jeremy would like to add a capability to upload GPX files to a cache page (for example, all 8 of the waypoints you need to visit in order to complete a puzzle cache, or the parking coordinates plus three points of interest on the hike to a traditional cache). Not so sure about uploading proprietary file formats for Garmin, Magellan, etc.

I hadn't seen this previously, but think it will be another great feature when it comes. In doing the various formats who needs them when we've got the great programs like gsak (using GPSBabel) etc.

wrlwnd

I don't have time at the moment to run a complete search, but there are prior threads in this forum that discuss this issue. I also recall that Jeremy would like to add a capability to upload GPX files to a cache page (for example, all 8 of the waypoints you need to visit in order to complete a puzzle cache, or the parking coordinates plus three points of interest on the hike to a traditional cache). Not so sure about uploading proprietary file formats for Garmin, Magellan, etc.