Prepping for a weekend geocaching

Ozarktroutbum

Could one or more of you "Old Timers" give me a clue or two about how to prepare for a weekend? I've got the maps and I've got the gear but as for getting waypoints loaded into my Magellan and descriptions printed is taking a REALLY long time. Basically I picked a cluster and printed all those but I'm within striking distance of quite a few. Do I just download all the waypoints for AR and MO and go out and have at it? Choosing "show other nearby caches" gives way too many that won't be accesible, looking at the state map and trying to "identify" is slow as a compass filled with molasses. I don't mind putting in a little effort but I'd rather do it in the woods where it counts. I'm currently saving shekels to buy a laptop which will really simplify things but until then any tips I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Ozarktroutbum

P.S. first cache found was 4/11/02

Hello Oz,

What I do is enter my zip code in the box to show the area's closest cache sites. Then I pick out the cache sites that have ratings I like and the ones that sound interesting to me. I'll print the good ones and enter the coordinates for those that I will try to find. Usually I try for 3 or 4 on a given day depending on how far I have to travel and hike. If you don't want to enter the points manually, you can use EZGPS. Essentially, go to the Geocache home page, enter your zip code, put a check mark in the little box that is next to the cache you would like the coordinates for and then click the download button. Using your pc connector cable, the coordinates can be loaded to your gps all at once instead of one at a time. These instructions are not detailed but you can at least get the idea

What I like to do afteris get a state atlas with gps grids. Then create a numbered index of the caches you are intrested in. Then get some 1/4 inch round circles write the coresponding number on the circle and using the map link at the bottom of the cahe page place on the apropate place on the map.

This will make it easier to get within walking distence if you have to drive on a lot of back roads and you can see all the nearby caches at a glance. This may take along time to set up initialy but after that you will only have to add a few at a time to your map.

Well, I did my first weekend and was able to hit 6 or 7. I did the EZGps download and tossed out the unlikey ones. One I found I didnt have a sheet printed and found with coords only.

Some things I think important to start with:

nullDecent paper maps

nullInsect repellant

nullA "finds bag", I was lucky and got a small one from the first cache of the day.

nullA hiking stick for poking around in the leaves and rocks. I saw 3 snakes icon_eek.gif in 2 days. "none on caches" but nearby.

nullAs many printouts as you can carry, I guess I'll start a binder with possibles.

All in all it went smooth enough.

Happy Hunting

O.T.B.

Well, I did my first weekend and was able to hit 6 or 7. I did the EZGps download and tossed out the unlikey ones. One I found I didnt have a sheet printed and found with coords only.

Some things I think important to start with:

nullDecent paper maps

nullInsect repellant

nullA "finds bag", I was lucky and got a small one from the first cache of the day.

nullA hiking stick for poking around in the leaves and rocks. I saw 3 snakes icon_eek.gif in 2 days. "none on caches" but nearby.

nullAs many printouts as you can carry, I guess I'll start a binder with possibles.

All in all it went smooth enough.

Happy Hunting

O.T.B.

If I'm planning a full Saturday or Sunday run at caches ... I download all the caches in the area I plan to visit ... or I might pick and choose based on the descriptions ... then I load them onto my mapping program and see the layout ... I then usually use Street Atlas to layout a route to hit the most caches in the least amount of drive time (always calculating alternates along the route) and I print out specific maps ... load waypoints to GPS ... pack gear accordingly ... explain to wife why those caches would be a more value task than the 7,000 items on the "honey do list" ... fuel up the Suzuki and hit the road!

348_2702.gif

I more or less do as Hawkeye (expect I would not be seen in a Suzuki, in spite of the fact that I'm occasionally seen in something Hawkeye wouldn't be seen in icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif ), but I don't print out the description. I pick the ones I like, cut and paste into the organizer software on the PC, then synchronize with my Palm V. I get the GC#### waypoint name too, which I can then use to search for on the Palm. Easy to cross reference compared to the waypoint name in the GPS. Usually, I don't carry the Palm all the way to the cache, but that depends upon how far it is to go, and how complex the description is and if I will return to the car before taking the next one and so on. Where I live, caches normally aren't too densely placed, so I usually have to drive between every one of them, if I want to take more than one in a day.

24148_200.jpg

Anders

I more or less do as Hawkeye (expect I would not be seen in a Suzuki, in spite of the fact that I'm occasionally seen in something Hawkeye wouldn't be seen in icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif ), but I don't print out the description. I pick the ones I like, cut and paste into the organizer software on the PC, then synchronize with my Palm V. I get the GC#### waypoint name too, which I can then use to search for on the Palm. Easy to cross reference compared to the waypoint name in the GPS. Usually, I don't carry the Palm all the way to the cache, but that depends upon how far it is to go, and how complex the description is and if I will return to the car before taking the next one and so on. Where I live, caches normally aren't too densely placed, so I usually have to drive between every one of them, if I want to take more than one in a day.

24148_200.jpg

Anders

I had a blast last weekend and was generally prepared but I somehow managed to miss 2 caches in the general area where I was. I had coords for one of them but was afraid it was a virtual and it was a ways off the road, the other one I just smooth missed all together. I know the folks watching these are expecting me to post a "did not find" because I hit 4 in the immediate vicinity, but I didn't even look. If you stop on the side of the road and peer into the woods, then get back in the truck and go is that a "did not find." I want to play by the rules and all....

O.T.B.

No Matter Where You Go... There You Are...