Those Who Came Before

When I started posting in the forums there were quite a few people who faded away at about the same time.

Two that come to mind are Hawkeye and Rubbertoe. Based on posts about them they were well liked but they no longer post. Since then Others have come and gone with only the occasional post reminding us they are still around. People like Markwell. Markwell isn't gone but he's not around anywhere near as much.

Who do you miss?

When I started posting in the forums there were quite a few people who faded away at about the same time.

Two that come to mind are Hawkeye and Rubbertoe. Based on posts about them they were well liked but they no longer post. Since then Others have come and gone with only the occasional post reminding us they are still around. People like Markwell. Markwell isn't gone but he's not around anywhere near as much.

Who do you miss?

Ringbone :lol:

I think I recall a Hawk-eye geocide some time back. Not sure what happened to Rubbertoe. He just fell off the face of the earth. I did see a post from him a few months ago.

In addition to the ones above, here are some others who were frequent contributors but have disapperared, or now rarely post (can't say I miss one or two of them though):

Mr. Snazz

Fatthur

Cape Code Cache (I think he was a geocide)

Anton

VentureForth

Mikechim

DisQuoi (geocide)

Makaio

The Artful Dodger

Majicman

And a more recent one who came in with a bang, then disappeared:

Woodsters Outdoors

Edited by briansnat
Jamie Z is still around, but hasn't written much here lately. I like his approach on things, so hope he'll stay with us in the future too. :lol:

JamieZ has been a bit busy lately.

Some others that come to mind are

ClayJar (I remember when it was a big deal when he and Markwell hit 500 forum posts. Now some people do that in a few days)

Iron Chef

BrokenWing

T-Storm

RedwoodRed

Mike Teague

Zuckerruebensirup

VentureForth

Eric O Connor/Choberiba

Ron Streeter

Buck8Point

TresOkies

MikeChim

KF Quad Explorer

CliffyB

Seneca

ExConn

I'm sure I missed a bunch. Most are still caching, and many are still posting in their regional forums.

Hawkeye is living oversees (China?) due to some new job...or something like that. He had a local cache around here that got ransacked and needed maintenance and permitted. Seems he didn't like the permitting process, so he archived it and made arrangements for it to be picked up. All this occurred last November.

Its not much...but its something.

Here is his cache that had the issues. His notes make me think he's not caching much anymore.

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus

I can't believe nobody mentioned georgeandmary, who after almost a year of not posting are still in the top 20 all time posters. I miss those guys (both here on the forums and out on the trails). They very rarely cache anymore, and have stopped hiding as well, which is a shame because they were one of the top hiders for quite a while, and definitely influenced Joani and I when we were starting out (and could possibly be blamed for Joani's evil tendencies).

--Marky

Jamie Z is still around, but hasn't written much here lately. I like his approach on things, so hope he'll stay with us in the future too.  :lol:

TresOkies

I'm not dead yet. It's only a flesh wound. Actually, I modified my handle when our daughter was born in July 2003 so that it would scale a little better. The ++ is a post increment operator which is appropriate in this case (ask a programmer what that means if it confuses you).

As for Jamie Z, he had a Memphis-LA bicycle ride in May that he had a small contingent of geocachers following him. He is now part of the support team for a swimming expedition down the Yangtze River in China. Details for him at http://mail.augustmail.com/~ctthomas/JamieZ/JamieZ-index.htm

-E

Jamie Z is still around, but hasn't written much here lately. I like his approach on things, so hope he'll stay with us in the future too.  :lol:

TresOkies

I'm not dead yet. It's only a flesh wound. Actually, I modified my handle when our daughter was born in July 2003 so that it would scale a little better. The ++ is a post increment operator which is appropriate in this case (ask a programmer what that means if it confuses you).

As for Jamie Z, he had a Memphis-LA bicycle ride in May that he had a small contingent of geocachers following him. He is now part of the support team for a swimming expedition down the Yangtze River in China. Details for him at http://mail.augustmail.com/~ctthomas/JamieZ/JamieZ-index.htm

-E

Tres, you definitely fall into the "Most are still caching, and many are still posting in their regional forums" section I mentioned. Your posts in the general area have dropped off a lot from a few years ago (or I'm just subconsciously blocking them all?).

What happened to Woodsters? He used to have a post in almost every topic.

--RuffRidr

2 things, I think.

First, he actually started going out and finding geocaches himself, instead of sitting here telling everyone how they should do it.

He also moved and I think is working several jobs, taking up much of his formerly free time.

<snip>

Some others that come to mind are...</snip>

<snip>

RedwoodRed

</snip>

Wow, Chris! It is so NICE to see that I actually made it into the top 5 on your list! Really!

I won't go into my computer issues here, but that is what kept me away.

We've (the rest of the GeoGadgets Team and myself) are still out beating the brush, fighting over first-finder prizes and struggling to maintain the few caches we have placed along with the ones we've adopted.

We had kind of a cache-cide experience here, too, with Steak. He got so sucked into playing Mechwarrior online that he's come to enjoy the daily beatings with a crowbar and the sound of me putting the hammer down on the pistol at the base of his thick skull just to get him to do anything that takes him away from his "clan".

Whatever it was, he now responds appropriately when I tell him that a new cache has been released within 50 miles of us. By appropriately, I mean that he yells for the boys to get their jackets and he starts lacing up his hiking boots. Me, I salivate... it's a Pavlovian thing.

As for me, I miss so many people here. I loved tormenting ClayJar during the IRC chats... you could tell he was blushing by the color of his type! Yes, Virginia, people do stutter in chat rooms! I miss Choberiba/Makiko (hee hee!), and so many others... but mostly you, Chris. And now you're engaged (hearing the voice of Patrick Stewart in my head - "Engage!"). My little black heart is just shattered. :o

On that pitiful note, I will subjugate this post back to the top of the list, however temporarily.

RedwoodRed - Queen of the Improper Ellipses

---

<snip>

Some others that come to mind are...</snip>

<snip>

RedwoodRed

</snip>

Wow, Chris! It is so NICE to see that I actually made it into the top 5 on your list! Really!

I won't go into my computer issues here, but that is what kept me away.

We've (the rest of the GeoGadgets Team and myself) are still out beating the brush, fighting over first-finder prizes and struggling to maintain the few caches we have placed along with the ones we've adopted.

We had kind of a cache-cide experience here, too, with Steak. He got so sucked into playing Mechwarrior online that he's come to enjoy the daily beatings with a crowbar and the sound of me putting the hammer down on the pistol at the base of his thick skull just to get him to do anything that takes him away from his "clan".

Whatever it was, he now responds appropriately when I tell him that a new cache has been released within 50 miles of us. By appropriately, I mean that he yells for the boys to get their jackets and he starts lacing up his hiking boots. Me, I salivate... it's a Pavlovian thing.

As for me, I miss so many people here. I loved tormenting ClayJar during the IRC chats... you could tell he was blushing by the color of his type! Yes, Virginia, people do stutter in chat rooms! I miss Choberiba/Makiko (hee hee!), and so many others... but mostly you, Chris. And now you're engaged (hearing the voice of Patrick Stewart in my head - "Engage!"). My little black heart is just shattered. :o

On that pitiful note, I will subjugate this post back to the top of the list, however temporarily.

RedwoodRed - Queen of the Improper Ellipses

---

Yea, and you're still married, so? :P

You'll always be one of my fav-o-rite geobabes, Lori! Still find us in chat, just changed servers. gcchat.clayjar.com if your messed up pc lets you do java, and irc.slashnet.org #geocache for a real IRC client. Come play!

Whatever happened to the woman from the Kansas City area? I can't think of her name, otherwise I'd do a search. Her son had stolen from a cache, she made him put the stuff back and that's when she found out about this site. She was originally from Canada and was about to be married. Her story really captivated the forums for quite sometime, so much so that a few people here chipped in and bought her a GPSr. :o

Whatever happened to the woman from the Kansas City area? I can't think of her name, otherwise I'd do a search.

I searched Kansas City. Her name is lysa. She joined in Feb.2003 and her last post was Apr.21,2003. Her two cache finds were on Mar.30,2003, which she found with help from Dusty Jacket. Dusty is still active. :o

Whatever happened to the woman from the Kansas City area? I can't think of her name, otherwise I'd do a search. Her son had stolen from a cache, she made him put the stuff back and that's when she found out about this site. She was originally from Canada and was about to be married. Her story really captivated the forums for quite sometime, so much so that a few people here chipped in and bought her a GPSr.  :(

I've often wondered the same thing. It was a great story, people chipped in to buy her a GPS for being an honest person, and then she disappeared...

Cache book found...

Looks like she logged 2 caches and quit, last logged in March 4, 2004.

Lysa

sd

Hawkeye is living oversees (China?) due to some new job...or something like that. He had a local cache around here that got ransacked and needed maintenance and permitted. Seems he didn't like the permitting process, so he archived it and made arrangements for it to be picked up. All this occurred last November.

Its not much...but its something.

Here is his cache that had the issues. His notes make me think he's not caching much anymore.

Salvelinus

Hawk-eye travels back and forth between the U.S and China. He spends about 6 weeks in China and then 6 weeks in the U.S. He is still around and checks the site ocassionally, and he still has active caches.

He is the one that hung the name of El Diablo on me. I miss my amigo and the greif that we caused one another placing caches.

El Diablo

Glad I got missed, I guess?

I still believe the vacation rule thing is/was biased and opinionated. There is no way to control it and no need to worry about it. Deal with it as you can and or may. There will thousands great "vacation" caches and many more ones that aren't classified as "vacation" ones that will go a miss far sooner. Or the fact they will be improperly placed or placed with very little thought or knowledge. Just like I mentioned before about how people placed caches without any finds. Now I see there is a thread about that and some "oldtimers" are now speaking up about it.

And for the record, I never told anyone how to do something. I have suggested ideas that might be better. I've also stood behind what I say. I'm not one just to sit back and accept every little thing. If I feel things are wong or could be better, I will speak. Not my problem if people don't like it. <_<