Geocaching And..... Pirates!

The local Fox station did a spot on geocaching with two Alabama Geocachers Assn members (Bubba Cache and LC_Cache) a week ago. Although the reporter didn't have a clue about cache pirates, I really got a kick out of how they produced the news story. You can check out the video here:

http://alacache.com/modules.php?name=Conte...showpage&pid=22

Edited by jeff35080
It was a nice segment, but still, they couldn't keep from mentioning the dreaded "buried treasure".

Not so fast. Watch it again. They say: "If only Jack Sparrow had one of these [GPS], the hunt for buried treasure would be a walk in the park." Referring to Jack Sparrow's cache, not ours.

Still, would have been nice to leave that out. Other than that, it was a great piece.

I enjoyed that.

FWIW, I recently finished "Under the Black Flag", a non-fiction treatment of pirates. Apparently "walking the plank" is completely made up - real pirates never had any such thing. Other tidbits were that if a Pirate captain was deposed they just threw him overboard. The Jolly Roger was flown to convince ships to surrender without a fight - if they did not, it was taken down and a red flag was flown. Most pirates were common criminals whose loot was mundane cargo.

I enjoyed that.

FWIW, I recently finished "Under the Black Flag", a non-fiction treatment of pirates. Apparently "walking the plank" is completely made up - real pirates never had any such thing. Other tidbits were that if a Pirate captain was deposed they just threw him overboard. The Jolly Roger was flown to convince ships to surrender without a fight - if they did not, it was taken down and a red flag was flown. Most pirates were common criminals whose loot was mundane cargo.

Spoil sport! :blink: