New Event Idea

ju66l3r

Ok, I'm hammering out the details in my head as I start typing...

I come up with a password or passphrase. Upon arriving at the event, I can only tell one other person the passphrase. That person is now "it". "It" is the only one who can tell *1* other person the passphrase. If you have already been "It", then you can simply inform anyone who asks you for the passphrase who you told the passphrase to earlier. They then have to track that person down and find out if they are still "It" or simply passing them on again. The next day, anyone who can e-mail me the correct passphrase (and maybe who they learned it from...to keep the whole game honest) can log an extra smilie on the event...or maybe instead of a passphrase, I can make it a TB...so some of the more sanctimonious don't bemoan the use of a "find" for a non-box-in-the-woods game.

There was an awesome icebreaker-style game that I had read about in a story online about a year ago that was similar where if you asked someone a specfic question "Are you playing?" then they had to answer "Yes"...or receive a business card that said "Well, you are now"...and they had to get rid of the business card.

Anyone seen this done before? Maybe I've gotta dig up another $5 for a TB tag now....

(oh and if someone wants to move this to TB forum land, go ahead, like I said, I was thinking this out as I typed and it didn't initially start as a TB idea, but an event idea)...

This is great. I modified it a little to "Get Lost" and just started it at our office at 4:00 PM. They've got one hour to see where it will end up. I can hear it floating around outside my office in the bullpen right now.

Oh wait a minute . . GET LOST! :tongue:

This is a cool idea for an event... so I might move it to "Organized Geocaching." There, moderator mtn-man might see it and say "gee, this is more of a travel bug thing" and move it to the Travel Bug forum. There, Honeychile might say it belongs in ju66ler's regional forum, and pass it off to New England.

The moderator who figures out how to make this thread end up in the Belgium forum gets a weekend off, in order to go caching! :tongue:

This is a cool idea for an event... so I might move it to "Organized Geocaching." There, moderator mtn-man might see it and say "gee, this is more of a travel bug thing" and move it to the Travel Bug forum. There, Honeychile might say it belongs in ju66ler's regional forum, and pass it off to New England.

The moderator who figures out how to make this thread end up in the Belgium forum gets a weekend off, in order to go caching! B)

:D:):D:(:P:D:tongue::unsure::unsure::huh:

I think your idea might be more workable than the "provide some trivia about you or your team" concept with a "treasure hunt" style collection for participants. That didn't fly at one event as not enough provided trivia to begin with.

Almost everyone likes logging TB's, and an "Event TB", perhaps retired (or it's mission is to attend other events) would certainly inspire interaction.

However, I can see half a dozen folks gathered around simply saying, "What's that number?", with nothing more coming of it!

Perhaps the, "name the cacher you got it from" rule would at least enforce minimal ice-breaking...

Let us know how it goes!

Randy

If I remember correctly, a similar type of game was done in Belguim. I could move your topic there to see if someone will remember and give you some ideas?

:lol:<_<:lol:

Almost everyone likes logging TB's, and an "Event TB", perhaps retired (or it's mission is to attend other events) would certainly inspire interaction.

However, I can see half a dozen folks gathered around simply saying, "What's that number?", with nothing more coming of it!

Perhaps the, "name the cacher you got it from" rule would at least enforce minimal ice-breaking...

I think this is a good way to do it. Caches that are placed around a park where an event cache is held are sometimes logged for an extra find (and sometimes people do them just for fun). I like the TBug idea put forth by RJFerret. They have to work a bit to remember who they got it from and it would make it more interactive too. I saw some of the "what's the number" type stuff at GeoWoodstock last year. There was an extra cache there -- it had a cache page but it was listed the day before. I didn't see it on the web site because I flew in and didn't look at the site the night before. I saw the cache and someone told me what it was (I sat next to it for about 20 minutes), but since I didn't really know about it or have any copy of the web page I didn't log it.