Permits

BONEGURU

Many caches in Arizona are on lands owned by the State and held in trust by the State Land Department. They are often referred to as "State Trust Lands". The Land Department permits Geocaching, but anyone using Trust Lands for recreational purposes must obtain a Recreational Use Permit, which costs $15/year for an individual, or $20/year for a family. All the details will be found on their web page.

I know if you call the Phoenix office they will mail you the application form. Perhaps the Tucson office will do the same. It's a short and simple form. You mail it back with your check, and you'll probably have the permit within two weeks. If you can go to the Tucson office, you can probably get it "while you wait".

I understand that the fines for being on Trust Land without an appropriate permit start at $500.

Steve

Slight change in topic. The Idaho State Trust Lands are such a pain to work with that my agency (another Idaho Stage Agency) avoids working in them if at all possible.

Arizona sounds one notch worse than Idaho. I'm not aware of having to pay a fee to use the state trust lands. Nor do I think the State Trust lands within the boundaries of NPS lands give me the ability to place a cache with state permission over NPS permission. But I could be wrong.

Many caches in Arizona are on lands owned by the State and held in trust by the State Land Department. They are often referred to as "State Trust Lands". The Land Department permits Geocaching, but anyone using Trust Lands for recreational purposes must obtain a Recreational Use Permit, which costs $15/year for an individual, or $20/year for a family. All the details will be found on their web page.

I know if you call the Phoenix office they will mail you the application form. Perhaps the Tucson office will do the same. It's a short and simple form. You mail it back with your check, and you'll probably have the permit within two weeks. If you can go to the Tucson office, you can probably get it "while you wait".

I understand that the fines for being on Trust Land without an appropriate permit start at $500.

Steve

In Tucson, this is the easiest thing in the world.

Walk into their office downtown at:

233 North Main Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85701

(520) 628-5480

Give em the money, they hand you the yearly permit. They recommend keeping the original somewhere safe, and travelling with a photocopy. They will also provide you with something to hang from your rear view mirror.

Piece of cake, I was in and out in 10 minutes.

Steve

And how does this affect someone from out of state who just wants to find a few caches? Am I going to be fined for stoping in the boondocks and walking around on publicly owned land?

And how does this affect someone from out of state who just wants to find a few caches? Am I going to be fined for stoping in the boondocks and walking around on publicly owned land?

The short answer to this is, unfortunately, yes... you can be. The fine is $500, you can be stopped and asked to show your permit, and they will enforce. If you choose to chance the fine, the risk is yours.

Every cache I have seen placed in Arizona on State Trust Land is clearly marked on its cache page. In my mind, it's not worth the risk, since $15 for a yearly permit is reasonable for locals. Just visiting? I'd give the State Trust Caches a pass unless you're willing to get your permit ahead of time.

Thanks for the info. I guess when I am in AZ I will read the cache pages carefully. So far, the majority of the AZ caches that we have found have been in cities. This permit thing stirkes me as the same as Snow Parking Passes and Forest Service Recreation Passes. A non-local doesn't even know they are needed. IF he finds that out, he doesn't know where to get one. I, for one, don't agree with extra fees for something that my taxes should be already paying for.

End Rant.

I will just have to be carefull.

Thanks again.

Land trust lands are not all public lands. The Federal government set aside specific sections as land trust lands. Different states will treat them differently. In Idaho you can buy topo maps that show what lands are land trust lands. Some of our lands fall witin the boundaries of a National Monument surrounding a National Park.

In AZ you might be able to find maps as well. Somewhere I heard the land trust thing is a western state thing since the Eastern stats have much much less federal lands which don't contribue to the tax roles the way private lands do.

Thanks for the additional info. I think I understand the situation better now. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. It is something to keep in mind though. There could be similar land management plans in other parts of the country. I'll just have to remember to read carefully. Happy Caching everyone!