New Jersey Says Goodbye To Haggaeus

briansnat

For those of you who aren't already aware, Haggaeus is leaving NJ this week and moving back home to the Czech Republic.

He's approaching legendary status around here, from his start as the "Hero of Wheretogo? Vertigo!", to some of the incredible hiking he's done to bag caches and his greatest accomplishment of all, his mastery of NJ's public transportation system.

For those of you who did the Norvin Green caches last weekend, consider that Haggaeus did most of those, plus Osio Rock and SLR....after walking from the bus stop in Wanaque, which is about 3 miles from the trailhead. Then when he finished, he walked another few miles to the bus stop in Haskell.

And that kind of trip wasn't out of the ordinary for him. In fact it was closer to the norm. From the Ramapos and Kittatinnies, to the Hudson Highlands, Haggaeus was there and got there using foot power and a little help from NJ Transit.

I know NJ will miss him and hopefully he enjoyed his time here enough to head back to his home country with good memories.

Edited by briansnat

I'll second that.

Haggaeus first popped up on my radar when as a rank newbie with like 15 finds he became one of the few people to log a find on my Revenge On The King cache. The part that really got me was his mention of walking home from the cache when his profile showed he lived several towns away.

Good luck back in your home country, our loss is their gain.

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Haggaeus on more than one occasion. He came to NYC for No Wine, No Whiskey, No Women event and then he was my hero at Harrald's CITO event at Lake Skannatati/Lake Askoti He hauled out some pretty heavy trash, and his daughter worked hard right alongside him. I'll miss Haggaeus, and I would really like to send along some trade items for him to take back home with him, but time is running out. Haggaues can you e-mail your address at home and we can send you some of our trade items to keep as mementos? Several of us were talking about putting together something for you to take home, but we're all so busy and far apart we ran out of time. Safe journey, friend! I hope you and your daughter can come back and visit us again someday.

I am sorry to see haggaeus go, but glad he is going home at the same time. hopeuflly, we will still get to see him in the clayjar chat room. I hope your stay in lovely NJ (he he) was a good one and I am glad i was able to meet you a few times along the way.

More impressive than his geocaching feats is his mastery of New Jersey's public transit system (if such a creature exists).

It exists, but its designed to get you from the 'burbs to Newark and NYC. To use it to travel around the state is incredibly difficult, unless you spend a lot of time studying bus routes and schedules and train schedules.

I think that instead of going back to CR, Haggaeus should be appointed NJ's Transportation Commissioner.

I've met Haggeus a few times and it was always a pleasure. Best of luck getting the 5 caches over there. Good thing you got 200 here... it could be a long while before you hit 300.

If you ever make it back to the States, look us up. Maybe you can rent a car then :tongue:

David

Farewell Haggaeus! It was a pleasure caching and hangin' out with you during both Night Sweats events! I was also a pleasure to be in the same room with someone taller than me for a change!! LOL

Take care good buddy and send us your address in CZ so we can send you some goodies! Oh...And thanks for the maps :unsure:

Kar of TS!! :tongue:

All I have to say is Velky Blanik byl osidlen jiz pred zacatkem našeho letopoctu. Zili na nem lide tzv. halstatskolatenske kultury. Na Blaniku po sobe zanechali pozustatky sveho opevneni v podobe mohutnych kamennych valu.

Neco malo o povesti Velkeho Blaniku. " V hore Blanik je skryto vojsko. Ceka, az bude ceskemu narodu nejhure, aby vyjelo z hory a porazilo nepritele Cechu. Az se prezene velka krvava bitva pod Blanikem, za které vyjedou vojska z hory a zahubi nepritele, pak nastane znovu mir a stastne doby pro obecny lid. "

Blanicka povest vznikla mezi prostym lidem v 15. stoleti, kteri v zazracne porazce nepratel u vesnice Bykovice (na upati Maleho Blaniku) a v navratu Kalicha videli cestu k znovuziskani svych ztracenych prav a svobod.

Thanks everyone for the farewell wishes. It has been great time here but I am also looking forward to be back and start hiding caches in CZ (the available space runs out fast, about 8 new caches/week). The ammo cans are already in the boxes, ready for sea freight.

I will stay in touch on the irc (CET is 6 hours ahead, so no officials at 3:30AM), and in the forums here and on geocaching.globenet.cz (if you can understand Brian's post about the legendary army of knights sleeping in the hill of Blanik, take a look there). Let me know if you ever come to Prague, I can help you with translating CZ puzzle caches and guide you through public transit system there [:lol:]

Special thanks go to

- speleojunky, whose plundered cache accidentaly found in Lenape Park introduced me to the game

- the hiders who contributed the most to my find numbers:

Bayonets4U (11), BigBill6 (8), tneigel, ED634, Briansnat, Avroair (5)

- Harrald, Lunaruby, Bldebabe, Batonka, Kar, who gave me a ride from/to events or group hunts

- NJ Transit of course (and MTA too). I'll try to find some cute bus or locomotive and release a TB with mass transit theme before I leave.

About the sig items: somebody on IRC (I still think it was Harrald) suggested that I should place a Czech cache containing sig items of NY/NJ/CT cachers. Since then I have collected only a few of them, so I'll probably make the theme more general. If you want to contribute, send them by mail to

Marek Kubita

437 Willow Ave

Garwood NJ 07027

- if mailed on Wed/Thu, they could arrive until Saturday... or you can stop by and trade them for some furniture (if interested, let me know before Thursday night so we will not put it out for bulk waste pickup).

Happy caching!

Haggeus.. Best wishes to you on your return home.

It was a true pleasure to meet you at the recent event. You have some very interesting tales of caching and commuting around the Northeast region. When I read your logs, I am simply amazed that you could get to those locations using nothing but the transit system and your own two feet. Very, very impressive....

CZ caching will be far better now that Haggeus returns....

Please stay in touch !

All I have to say is Velky Blanik byl osidlen jiz pred zacatkem našeho letopoctu. Zili na nem lide tzv. halstatskolatenske kultury. Na Blaniku po sobe zanechali pozustatky sveho opevneni v podobe mohutnych kamennych valu.

Neco malo o povesti Velkeho Blaniku. " V hore Blanik je skryto vojsko. Ceka, az bude ceskemu narodu nejhure, aby vyjelo z hory a porazilo nepritele Cechu. Az se prezene velka krvava bitva pod Blanikem, za které vyjedou vojska z hory a zahubi nepritele, pak nastane znovu mir a stastne doby pro obecny lid. "

Blanicka povest vznikla mezi prostym lidem v 15. stoleti, kteri v zazracne porazce nepratel u vesnice Bykovice (na upati Maleho Blaniku) a v navratu Kalicha videli cestu k znovuziskani svych ztracenych prav a svobod.

Brian,

You mis-spelled a word. :lol:

It was certainly a pleasure meeting you and speaking to you about Solvakia!... I am still amazed that you were able to get around the tri-state area by public transportation. Your dedication to this sport/hobby is to be commended.

I will try and mail a couple of items for your NY/NJ/CT theme cache, as I have made a couple of custom items that would work well. If you do not receive them by Saturday, please pass along your address in Solvakia and I'll mail them to you.

Haggaeus, wishing you and your family bezpecnostná zápalnica domáci :blink:

Bldebabe

I remember you mentioned in #geocache that you were leaving for Prague soon, but I had no idea you were moving there! You and I always seemed to pick different events and group hunts to attend, so we never met - maybe next time.

Until then, happy caching and have a safe trip home.

I wish you a safe trip home. It was a pleasure meeting you (several times) and I've always enjoyed reading your logs and stories of your cache hunts!

NJ will be missing one classy (and creative) cacher!

Safe journey - and I hope all your bus & train rides are as enjoyable as those you took to find all those caches!!!

- Hart

I once heard that there was a system of trains and buses that connected locations in the state. Figuring that out is in and of itself a great feat.

Honestly, I admire your determinination to seek out the caches, and the willingness to walk the 2 or 3 miles just to get to the start point that I drove my fat a** around for 20 minutes while looking for a spot .10mi from the cache rather then .13mi.

Take care Haggaeus it was a pleasure meeting you.