Caching Safely

Metro Nomad

Hi to all SA Cachers

Although I’ve been unable to partake in the sport the last 12 months, this will hopefully change soon for the better.

I’ve always kept up to date with new caches etc and I’ve got a few of them earmarked for a visit towards the end of July, health etc permitting.

Which bring me to the point of this posting.

Some of the earmarked caches in the Cape Town area seem to be a bit “remote”. How safe is it to do caching all by yourself? Any area that should rather be visited with someone accompanying you?

I know that this might sound like a strange question, but with the (unnecessary) violence up here in our part of SA I think that it is very relevant. (I’ve seen a log entry not long ago that prompted this question and there are probably more cachers out there that would like to see feedback on this.)

I know that there are quite a few active cachers in the CT area and I am looking forward to some good advice/comments.

Let’s draw the line at a radius of about 80 Km from the Waterfront to make it easier and fairly simple.

You can contact me directly on Metro.Nomad@idws.co.za should you prefer not to make use of the forum.

Thanks

PS: Although this topic is presently aimed at the south, any comments/experiences regarding Gauteng and North West will also be appreciated.

I've done a good deal of the caches in the Cape Town area, and have never once felt threatened or nervous.

Of course, my 6 foot 7 frame, tattooed body, scarred face, and knives strapped to my arms might help with this - Not!

Of course, if you are a lady (with the name Johann?) its better to be safe than sorry. Just remember to mark a waypoint for your car (although a cacher did have his broken into while doing "Chapmans Peak", but don't let that stop you!)

Welcome back to the sport! Hope you can rack up a big tally in your visit here!