"needs Archived"

Milbank

They'll probably try to get ahold of the cache owner first and post an impending archive note in the logs. I've been watching those in my area that I can either adopt or replace the archived cache in the same area with one of my own. Running out of good places to hide a cache in my area.

What actually happens is that the notes are forwarded to me and to several other cache reviewers as well as the upper level site admins. I forward the notes to local cache reviewers that do not get the notes.

I usually wait 5 to 7 days before forwarding them. Many times cache owners will either go out and fix the cache or archive it on their own. That is the preference. If no action is taken in that time frame there are two options. If the cache is obviously gone I will sometimes archive it myself. If not, then I forward it to the local reviewers and they try to contact the cache owner for disposition.

All that happens is that the cache usually doesn't show up on searches. Sometimes the coords are removed, sometimes not.

Actually, we would never change the coordinates. Cache owners should not change them either. We try to leave the cache page in its original format for several reasons. Cachers do go back and look at caches they have found to reminisce. Leaving the coordinates as they are serves to give a record of why the cache was archived in that area (IE, confiscated by a park manager, muggled in a popular place, flooded out in a flood zone, etc.). If you change the coordinates for the cache page it will mess up all travel bugs that have ever been in that cache as well since the mileage is calculated from those coordinates.

All that happens is that the cache usually doesn't show up on searches.  Sometimes the coords are removed, sometimes not.

Actually, we would never change the coordinates. Cache owners should not change them either. We try to leave the cache page in its original format for several reasons. Cachers do go back and look at caches they have found to reminisce. Leaving the coordinates as they are serves to give a record of why the cache was archived in that area (IE, confiscated by a park manager, muggled in a popular place, flooded out in a flood zone, etc.). If you change the coordinates for the cache page it will mess up all travel bugs that have ever been in that cache as well since the mileage is calculated from those coordinates.

if a cache is only moved about 200 feet, would it make that much of a difference with travel bug mileage?

Ummm, no, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here. Of course if you are moving a cache just a short distance (perhaps the old location was muggled, flooded, etc.), then simply update the coordinates. But in the past, there were issues with owners of archived caches "zeroing out" the coordinates to the middle of the ocean someplace. That got a bit confusing. It is one of several reasons why cache owners now have a more limited ability to edit cache coordinates without assistance from a site volunteer or admin.

Ummm, no, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here. Of course if you are moving a cache just a short distance (perhaps the old location was muggled, flooded, etc.), then simply update the coordinates. But in the past, there were issues with owners of archived caches "zeroing out" the coordinates to the middle of the ocean someplace. That got a bit confusing. It is one of several reasons why cache owners now have a more limited ability to edit cache coordinates without assistance from a site volunteer or admin.

oh! ok thanks. i had to move a muggled one about 200 feet and i updated the cache page. i also noted that anyone who had found it before could get another smilie by finding it again.