Best Pocket Pc Software

JCrozi

Microsoft STreets and Trips to show you the viciity of the caches and for planning.

GPXsonar or GPXview to show you the cache page. Both export to MS S&T on the PDA.

This combo works for me.

I have Streets and Trips and wondered if it is worth buying the cable to attach my Garmin eTrek Legend to my PocketPC. (There's one I saw that has a shared cigarette lighter adapter plus the cord for around $50.) Would my iPAQ screen be useful on car trips?

Microsoft STreets and Trips to show you the viciity of the caches and for planning.

GPXsonar or GPXview to show you the cache page. Both export to MS S&T on the PDA.

This combo works for me.

I have Streets and Trips and wondered if it is worth buying the cable to attach my Garmin eTrek Legend to my PocketPC. (There's one I saw that has a shared cigarette lighter adapter plus the cord for around $50.) Would my iPAQ screen be useful on car trips?

For that application you should consider Mapopolis as it does routing which MS Streets and Trips doesn't do. It also has an application that will let you import waypoints onto the maps though the process seems not nearly as simple as it is for Streets and Trips.

People who use Mapopolis like it and given that you have a higher level of use for your PDA than I use mine for (my GPS routes) it's probably worth a look.

I use MAPOPOLIS on my 2215 for auto navigation. I use it when driving all the time. It gives visual and verbal commands like "turn right in 630 feet onto Main Street". The maps are from NavTech and very accurate and complete. You can try in for free for 9 days. Check out their web site.

I also use GSAK for my pocket quieries sorting and to create paperless caching of the web page into my 2215 using GPXSONAR.

You can also use GPXTOMAPLET to create icons of all the caches in the Mapopolis maps so while you're driving you can see the nearby caches. I've got mine set up so the name, D/T ratings, etc show when i tap the icon. GPXSONAR than gives the cache description from the web page including past finds, hints if you want them, etc.

Good luck

Alan

There are several other road navigation programs besides Mapopolis. E.g. Routis, Pocketmap Navigator, Destinator, Tomtom Navigator, etc. These are all about equally good, it's mostly a matter of personal preference which one one likes most. Cache locations can be imported into Pocketmap Navigator with my program, PMN Cacher. So Mapopolis is not the only choice here.