How Do You Carry Your Gpsr

AtoZ

I mount my GPS on a hard hat and have a short person wear the hard hat and walk in front of me, then I just tell them turn right or left and so on. I find this system to be quite effective, the only problem is that you have to give them water once in a while, or they call me a few days later claiming I new the poison was there.

Since I have owned my Magellan SporTrak Map for less than a week it is in my hands at all times while I scroll through the menus looking at all the different ways of telling which way I am going! On the very rare occasions I don't want to be looking at it, it slips nicely into my back pocket.

MikeB

For long hikes with a pack and trekking poles, I'd like to rig up something to attach my eTrex to the top of a hat (I'd get whatever hat I needed to handle the job).

I know it would look a little funny, but I can't think of a better place to maintain my signal when walking through wooded areas.

Any ideas?

For long hikes with a pack and trekking poles, I'd like to rig up something to attach my eTrex to the top of a hat (I'd get whatever hat I needed to handle the job).

I know it would look a little funny, but I can't think of a better place to maintain my signal when walking through wooded areas.

Any ideas?

How are you going to see the display though?

Up until now I've had my Rino on a lanyard around my neck. Yes I lost signal since the Rino's Lanyard clip caused it to hang upside down.

I few weeks ago my rino got wet and quit working. :blink: Rather than pay the $85 to get it fixed I got a new 60c. So far I've been hanging it around my neck in the lanyard and because it stays vertical that way it seems to work most of the time.

I just purchased an external antenna for it, and this weekend I'm going to test having the external antenna attrached to the top of my pack. We'll see.

Seeing that I'm an ex-truck driver and now I'm getting more of that nasty thing, exercise, my pants won't stay up unless I'm wear suspenders. :( I just hook my Vista in it's Garmin holster to my suspenders in front of my shoulder with the lanyard looped around the suspender as a safety item. I also carry my PDA in my shirt pocket and sometimes the Vista rides real nicely on top of it so I can see the screen.

Depending on my mood, either in my hand, a fanny pack, or the SG field vest I use for longer trips. I prefer the vest because I have an external antenna attached to the shoulder so this way the GPSMAP76S rides in one of the pockets. Mind you most of the time it's in a fitted neoprene case regardless of how I'm carrying it...

Sam...

I've taken a minimalistic approach to caching. Schwag and a pen in my pockets and my GPSr hangs around my neck so I don't lose it/drop it/etc... When I need a signal, I hold it horizontaly in front of me, when I don't need a signal, I simply let go.

Trouble using the neck lanyard while you're walking?

Toss the GPSr over your shoulder and let it hang in the back. It's not heavy enough to pull on the lanyard to the point of being uncomfortable on your neck (at least mine isn't) and it will still get a good skyview on your back. It'll say you walked backwards to everything, but the path is perfectly oriented. I do this while hiking and then just bring it forward in hand and walk the last few hundred feet to the path splits to reorient it "forward". If I'm wearing a backpack, it does even better at supporting the GPSr and giving it a good sky view.

Carry a GPS? No way . . . I let Mopar find the cache and then I sign the log. Hands free caching!

J/K ;)

I just carry it in my hand (top facing up since I have the little yellow eTrex).

Ditto . . .

Anyhoo . . . happy caching and stuff! Afterall, that what it's about right? Oh! That and the numbers . . . it's all about the numbers. :rolleyes:

It's always in my hand well hiking. When we get to the cache site I just put it down were ever, ground, rock, log, etc....

I do have a small belt case that I keep a digital camera in along with pens, batteries, trade items, etc...

I have a rule now about never setting it down. One time it was muggled, I set it down and walked about 50 away to where my family was. I did catch up with the guy that took it and he gave it back. Another time I left it at a cache but someone else in my group picked it up without saying anything. I only went about 30ft before realizing it. Another time my brother left his at a cache and didn't realize it till we were about 4 hours drive away from the cache. Luckily we were headed back that way and it was still there when we returned at 1:00am.

Like Stunod and others, I use the Ultimate GPS Case. I picked one up almost as soon as I started Geocaching, upon the advice of a local cacher that got me into it. I was using a Garmin 12 at the time. When I won a Magellan SporTrak Color last year, it quickly took up residence in the Ultimate case and the Garmin was relegated to a Garmin case that I picked up at Gander Mountain on clearance. It's not as roomy, but serves it's purpose to carry the backup GPS 12. Even when I am wearing my CamelBak, I still use the Ultimate Case and just drop the SporTrak in there when it looks like I'll need both hands or when it is straight and flat and I don't need the navigation help.