How Do You Carry Your Gpsr

AtoZ

How do you carry your GPSr when you do not acctually need to look at it but still have it on so you can look at it. This last week were doing a cache and the GPSr pointed done a trail for approximatly 0.9 miles. well as the trail literally went the direction of the pointer I just put the GPSr in a pocket and walked on. A couple times it beeped and I had lost signal but let it reaquire for a few seconds and it still pointed down the trail so back in the pocket. Not sure if to use a neckstrap, dont like looking likd some techno geek which I am anyway, or put it in a pocket or holster or what.

How do you carry your GPSr when you don't need to follow it but want it on?????

cheers

It depends on which antenna you have. If you are using an eTrex unit with a patch type AE, you're better off to carry it horizontally for most effective reception. What I do with my Legend is simply to clip it onto the strap of my backpack at the top of my shoulder so that it is basically laying flat, face up, and as high on my body as I can get it.

If you have a Rhino, 60c/cs or many of the Magellan with the Quad-helix AE, they prefer to be carried vertically. I would suggest simply clipping it onto the back of your pack so that it is vertical, and exposed.

What I do with my Legend is simply to clip it onto the strap of my backpack at the top of my shoulder so that it is basically laying flat, face up, and as high on my body as I can get it.

That's exactly what I do with my Vista. I purchased the holster and clip it to the top of my pack's shoulder strap, where it lays nearly flat.

What I do with my Legend is simply to clip it onto the strap of my backpack at the top of my shoulder so that it is basically laying flat, face up, and as high on my body as I can get it.

That's exactly what I do with my Vista. I purchased the holster and clip it to the top of my pack's shoulder strap, where it lays nearly flat.

:) Ooops... I neglected to include the little detail about the case. This is what I am using:

etrexcase.jpg

~$20.00 at WalMart

The pants I usually wear in summer have a side pocket that my Garmin V fits in nicely with the antenna sticking out. In cooler weather, my jacket has an upper pocket that perfectly holds the GPS and allows the antenna to stay out. I keep meaning to get something to attach it to my pack, but never seem to get around to it.

When I was using my eTrex yellow, I usually carried it in my hand. If I didn't need it (or wanted to get it out of sight) I put it in my pants pocket. My 60c is a bit bit for this, but the belt clip works nicely. It holds it vertically for best reception and even though I also carry a cell on a belt clip next to it, it still looks like a cell phone to muggles. Once I get close to the cache it is usually on the belt.

carrygpsr.jpg

Seriously, i always like to save the tracks of my geocaching hikes, so i always carry my GPSr in my hand.

Last summer had a problem, my skin is too white and the hand wich is carrying the GPSr was in the Sun during all the hike, and then had a sunburn.

Now i am going to try to plug the GPSr to my Palm and let the GPSr int the top of my backpack, the problem is that the Palm is not so robust, I could break my Palm if it fells

On long hikes I wear a fisherman's vest that has lots of pockets to hold all my stuff. The GPS fits snugly in the highest outside pocket, and the antenna pokes above my shoulder to maintain a decent satellite lock.

Mine is a birder's vest but same principle. Putting it in the upper pocket while hiking works great and it's rare to lose a sat lock so I get a decent track.

I'm glad you asked! I've been wanting to post this for a week or so.

I bought the Geocaching.com lanyard a few months ago and have taken to carrying my eTrex Legend around my neck. However, I've noticed that I lose signal a lot with it hanging free, and I really don't trust it hanging like that anyway. So I got the idea to try something with some velcro.

I bought some industrial strength velcro from Walmart and stuck the male (hook) part to the back of my battery cover. It took a few attempts before I found a configuration that didn't seem to want to come unstuck very easily. Then I sewed the female (loop) velcro to my backpack strap (it's glued too, but I stitched it on just for extra hold).

So far it works great! I went out Friday and was in such a hurry to get to a cache that I was actually running (amazing but true). The velcro held great and with the GPS facing out on my shoulder I never lost signal.

Bret

gps-backpack-velcro.jpg

I use the Ultimate GPS Case like Stunod. I liked it so much, I bought a second one for my Motorola FRS/GMRS T7200. When on short runs, I wear it on my belt, and the long hikes will see those cases on my backpack shoulder straps. When in a hurry, I have a fanny pack that is large enough to hold those plus gloves for foraging in the brambles and the usual tickytack for when I find the cache.

CYBret, that's a neat idea. I'd also use the lanyard, though. Tie the free end somewhere to the pack so that the lanyard acts as a safety line in case your GPS comes unhooked from the Velcro.

I clip my Garmin (tirediron posted a picture of the case I use) to the elastic loop on the shoulder strap of my backpack. The pack is designed to carry a water bladder and the elastic loop is meant to hold the drinking straw thing. This works pretty well for me.

Matt

Still not decided yet about the best method, so far I tried these:

1. pants pocket: when I was using Mag315, it happened to me many times that I felt my pocket lighter and returned back the trail for the dropped GPSr. Now I am using Geko and it is just fine if it doesn't accidentally power on and drain the batteries.

2. jacket pocket: fine for any GPSr in jacket weather. Sometimes Geko poweres on.

3. backpack pocket: not so convenient but mostly ok - the same problem with self-powering Geko.

4. lanyard: tried it in the short period when I was playing with Legend - it acted like a pendulum or yoyo, I considered that quite disturbing.

5. holding in a hand - with Geko, I can still use my hand for support in moderately rough terrain. With bigger GPSr, the hand is not usable for anything else.

Currently I am practicing a combination of methods 3 and 5, looking for some hard leather pouch which would prevent Geko power button from being pushed.

CYBret, that's a neat idea. I'd also use the lanyard, though. Tie the free end somewhere to the pack so that the lanyard acts as a safety line in case your GPS comes unhooked from the Velcro.

I'm still using the lanyard, just not depending upon it all the time.

(You can see it in the picture...by the way..does anyone know if those things wash up ok?) :tongue:

Oh yeah, and I do have one of these Ultimate GPS cases too. I cut the mesh pocket off the front (was pretty worthless anyway) and added a velcro pouch that fits my compass. It comes in really handy when I'm doing a quick park n' grab or some urban micros.

gpscase.jpg

Bret

Edited by CYBret

I use a Nite Ize stand up holster for my eTrex camo. A local Wal-mart has them on clearance for $7.00

I've got most of a 1000 foot roll of '550' cord (parachute cord?), left over from my stint in the Army. I used it to make a lanyard long enough to either secure the GPSr to the holster or hang it around my neck. Either way, it can't fall and get hurt.

The Merigreen rides in the Magellan pouch. I've got to get some kind of lanyard setup for it though. Both receivers are secured to the straps on the side of my lumbar pack.

It's always in my hand well hiking. When we get to the cache site I just put it down were ever, ground, rock, log, etc....

Doing that makes me nervous because a couple of times I started to leave without first picking up the unit. I always put it in the belt pouch or in my pocket.

Most of the way in to the cache, the GPS sits in the handlebar mount on the bicycle. :tongue:

Once I'm forced to leave the bike behind, the GPS is either in my hand, or else in a cellphone case that's on my belt. I've found that the GPS holds lock pretty well inside the case, no worse than it does under trees anyway.

I carry my Vista in my hand if I'm within .1 miles. Otherwise it's in my pocket or in an external pocket on my "North Face Recon" backpack with occasional peeks to keep me headed in the right direction. I don't worry about loss of signal because it acquires fast enough for my purposes.

I usually just hand it to one of my daughters since they want to run ahead to find the cache anyway.

If they aren't available, I usually have my 14 pocket vest on. Pockets 2, 9, 10, and 13 are just the right size, but I usually turn it off since I lose reception that close to my body.

If I'm not wearing the vest, I usually have a fanny pack. Again I turn it off.

When I am x-country skiing, I have a pocket below the knee in my ski pants that is the right size and I get great reception.

I am thinking about rigging a way to put the GPS on the back of Roswell the cache sniffing dog. It would be interesting to see the zig zag trail he takes. I bet he covers 3 times the distance the rest of us do.

I bought the Garmin lanyard for my Geko but I'm disappointed. It's just too short to go round my neck and still allow me to hold the GPSr far enough away to read it(and that's not just a "reading-glasses" issue, although that doesn't help !).

How long is the GC lanyard ?

Just over 22 inches. It has a side-release buckle in it, so you could add any length strap to it. Or swap GPSrs as needed. I have my compass setup with the same buckle so I can have it out handy for the hunt. The compass goes in the pocket after the find, and the GPSr is clipped in.

I have a leather Magellan carry case for my 330 and a neck lanyard. The case has a belt clip on the back as well as a metal clip loop. I clip the metal loop clip of the carry case to the clip of the lanyard. I take the lanyard and push it up behind my belt above my front pocket. I then take the GPS and put it through the "loop" of the lanyard sticking out above my belt. I then pull the GPS out and away from the belt. The GPS then hangs loose from my belt and can't go anywhere.

This leaves plenty of slack in the lanyard for carrying the GPS in my hand. When I don't want to carry the GPS, I use the belt clip on my front pocket. If the belt clip comes loose from my pocket, the GPS just falls a few inches and will hang by the belt loop. I immediately notice it and put it back in place. It also makes for quick unclipping of the unit when I am getting in the cachemobile to drive to the next cache.

I carry it in my hand. Sometimes I shove it in my shirt or pants pocket depending on whether or not my clothing has pockets.

I have no idea what people are talking about when they say they lost signal, that has never happened to me with my Magellan 315 or Meridian color. I have been in areas where the signal is hosed up and I get told to walk off a cliff, but never lost signal :lol:

I have a lanyard for my GPS, but it attaches to the same place the cigarette power cable does so it isn't really convenient. I have thought about getting a case, but just don't see any need for it because I like to stare at my GPS even when it isn't telling me anything I don't already know.

In my hand it get's carried topside up, laying flat or just in my hand as it sways back and forth as I walk. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have no idea what people are talking about when they say they lost signal, that has never happened to me with my Magellan 315 or Meridian color. I have been in areas where the signal is hosed up and I get told to walk off a cliff, but never lost signal :lol:

Lucky you. :lol: Come out here to Western Washington - with thick forest, big mountains, deep valleys and you'll change your tune quick enough. Last week I spent half the afternoon trying to get more than two sats wandering around Squak Mt. <_<

I have no idea what people are talking about when they say they lost signal, that has never happened to me with my Magellan 315 or Meridian color. I have been in areas where the signal is hosed up and I get told to walk off a cliff, but never lost signal

Not to stray off topic...well OK I guess I am, but the Magellans will continue to project your route for a while after losing the signal. They won't tell you unless its gone for quite some time. So you are probably losing your signal and not noticing it.

I use a neck lanyard sometimes, but don't prefer that because it bounces too much while I walk. Probably could improve that by shortening the lanyard. I also sometimes just stuff the GPS into a pocket, but of course that carries a higher risk of signal loss. Most often, I'm back to using the wrist strap and just carrying it. This has several advantages, among them the ability to quickly put the unit up to my ear when approached by muggles. Most will assume I'm talking on a cellphone and will politely leave me alone, the few who realize I'm talking to my GPS are sure to give me a wide berth...