Garmin Dash Or Window Mount.

Eric K

I have a Garmin Legend and it's get used in two different vehicles.

I'm interested in trying the windshield or dash mount but have a few questions.

I don't want to install anything permanent. Does the dash mount leave a permanent 'mark' on the dash from the adhesive?

Which would you recommend, the dash mount or window mount?

I have a stick-on dash mount and like it better then the window mount since my Vista or StreetPilot3 can be placed where it does not obstruct the view. Putting it on the window means that you can't see out that portion of the window.

I have the suction mount from Garmin that comes with the special battery cover to attach the GPSr with. I really like it, however, if I move it from the Jeep to my wife's car and back, it often falls off the window until I get out the windex and clean it real well. Other than that, it's great. I don't find that it blocks my view at all, so that's not a concern.

One word of caution, however. Whether you use a dash mount or a windshield mount, make sure it is nowhere near the passenger-side airbag!! In case of airbag deployment, it will become a projectile capable of causing serious injury or even death.

I have a windshield mount from Gomadic, but I don't use it much. I made a cupholder mount from PVC parts from the local home improvement store, and I much prefer it. It does require an external antenna, however, because the GPS can't get a signal from my cupholder. I have the PC-Mobile reradiating antenna, and it works very well. I put it on my roof while driving, and put it on my hat when I start walking. It's well worth the money.

I use a suction-cup mount from Radio Shack. It's sold for cell phones, but fit my Garmin GPS 12 just fine. Now that I have a Rino, I've modified it so I can clip the belt clip to it. It has a goose-neck on it so it can fit just about anywhere, and even has a plate that can be attached to the dash if you don't want to use a window. I've transfered if from car to car (my wife's and rentals) with no problems.

I don't want to install anything permanent. Does the dash mount leave a permanent 'mark' on the dash from the adhesive?

Eric K

To answer your question about the mark on the dash.

My Garmin Venture came standard with a dash mount and two types of adhesive pads. A permanent adhesive sticker and an adhesive sticker that you could re-use when relocating the mount.

I’ve only used the re-usable sticker, but even so found that it left a mark on the dash. It does disappear after a few applications of polish though.

For the past year or so I’ve been using a Garmin bean bag on the dash and I’ve found this to be very convenient and surprisingly stable. What is also nice of course is the fact that you can move it around on the dash should it interfere with your line of vision.

Furthermore, you just grab the GPS complete with bean bag and plonk it down in the vicinity of the PC to do up- and downloading of data.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to do any geocaching during the past 11 months due to various factors, but I put on a very high mileage annually and the GPS is used extensively.

At this point in time my vote would go to the bean bag, but I have a sneaky feeling that the permanent mount would be more suitable if you do some off-roading.

Metro Nomad

the permanent mount would be more suitable if you do some off-roading.

Yuppers! Nothing stays on the dash of my Jeep! It's also pretty small, so I don't know if there's even a spot for either a bean bag or a sticky-mount. Oh, one more thing I learned years ago: if you're going to use one of the stick on mounts, or anything that sticks on, clean the dash thoroughly with rubbing alcohol. I have great disdain for Armorall and products like it. Every vehicle I've ever bought used had that crap smeared all over everything, including the steering wheel. It does nothing but attract dust and dirt, and makes the steering wheel so slick you can hardly hold on to it. Nothing with a sticky mount will stick to it.

Eric K

To answer your question about the mark on the dash.

My Garmin Venture came standard with a dash mount and two types of adhesive pads. A permanent adhesive sticker and an adhesive sticker that you could re-use when relocating the mount.

I’ve only used the re-usable sticker, but even so found that it left a mark on the dash. It does disappear after a few applications of polish though.

For the past year or so I’ve been using a Garmin bean bag on the dash and I’ve found this to be very convenient and surprisingly stable. What is also nice of course is the fact that you can move it around on the dash should it interfere with your line of vision.

Furthermore, you just grab the GPS complete with bean bag and plonk it down in the vicinity of the PC to do up- and downloading of data.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to do any geocaching during the past 11 months due to various factors, but I put on a very high mileage annually and the GPS is used extensively.

At this point in time my vote would go to the bean bag, but I have a sneaky feeling that the permanent mount would be more suitable if you do some off-roading.

Metro Nomad

I have a Hyundai Elantra so don't plan on doing any off roading unless I skid into a ditch! :tongue:

The car was just purchased recently and that's why I don't want to use anything that leaves a permanent mark.

I'll have to look into the bean bag models. I haven't even heard of them until this thread. Any links would be nice.

I may check radio shack for a phone holder for temporary use. We have a little road trip coming up this weekend and something would be nice.

I could only find Bean bag mounts designed for the III. Will these work for an eTrex as well?

Halden

When I purchased the Bean Bag for the eTrex Venture, I was given to understand by the salesperson that these bags are going to become standardised. Apparently you just buy a battery cover for each Garmin model. These covers are used to clip onto the bag.

Metro Nomad

Im not one to reply to forums but due to the frustration of my experience I think I will this time. I used a Ram mount for my Meridian. When I picked up a 60cs I decided to get a Garmin mount. I absolutley hated it. Maybe the roads are rougher here in the mountains but it was all but useless and consequently it broke. As a nice surprise the Ram mount for my Meridian works great for the 60cs. If I were to purchase a mount again I would certainly go with a Ram. Btw these were windshield mounts.