Socalgeocachers.com

L.O.S.T.JJsKJ

Yea... again.

So, here is the deal. I'm projecting that the site will be down at least a week. What probably happened was the web hosting people didn't remind Rich that the account was about to run out (just like they forgot to remind Rich that the domain was going to run out), so Rich did not renew it.

I called Rich and left a message. I'll probably end up calling the web hosting company and pretending I'm Rich, and hoping they will accept the account login and passwords as verification. I tried loging into the control panels and even ftping to the server (not using our domain name), and none of it worked.

We have been planning on moving the site for some time now... and this might be a good time, which means the site will be down for more than a week. My hope is that we will be able to get our data from the gisol folks.

My biggest worry is what happenes to our data. Hopefully they will not just delete it. Either way, we do have another domain with another host where we can setup a temporary forums if people want it.

I'm also kind of out of reach right now, but I'll check back here at least once a day to answer questions and give updates and stuff.

Thank god I have great hosting companies! In 7 years I've had my domain expire twice and Network Solutions held the domain for me both times and it was a painless experience that had me up again within 24hrs. Then once my webhosting company shut me off when I forgot to pay the bill. I called them up, gave them a new card number and within an hour we were back up after being down for 2 days.

Somehow I think Rich has used the wrong companies for services. Especially the one he registered the original domain name with. Oh well everything will get worked out in the long run.

** ALERT -- Withdrawl Symptoms **

You know you're suffering from withdrawl when you tell friends you can't go out to dinner on Tuesday because you're going to chat with fellow Geocachers, but forget that the site is down.

You know you're suffering from withdrawl when you log onto the forums at Groundspeak to see if there are any picnic updates, and any info from the pizza party on Saturday.

ARRRGHGH! I want socalgeocachers.com back online! :bad:

** ALERT -- Withdrawl Symptoms **

ARRRGHGH!  I want socalgeocachers.com back online! <_<

No kidding! I believe Rich is back from vacation (today)....SOMETHING'S gotta give!

And what about picnic plans for the 10th???? I have a sneaking suspicion it is going to be postponed yet again.... :laughing:

No kidding! I believe Rich is back from vacation (today)....SOMETHING'S gotta give!

And what about picnic plans for the 10th???? I have a sneaking suspicion it is going to be postponed yet again.... :blink:

I was just thinking the sme thing. It's 9 days away and nothing has been organized so far, but that's just my point of view.

You know you're suffering from withdrawl when you tell friends you can't go out to dinner on Tuesday because you're going to chat with fellow Geocachers, but forget that the site is down.

Hmmmm... Ive been in the Tuesday night chat the last two weeks... I connect through mIRC. :blink:

And what about picnic plans for the 10th???? I have a sneaking suspicion it is going to be postponed yet again.... :)

Hmm...we were going to make that one our 1000th. Guess we'll just have to do a micro in a lamp post instead.... B)

Don't feel bad, mine was one of the quickies in PS

And what about picnic plans for the 10th???? I have a sneaking suspicion it is going to be postponed yet again.... B)

Hmm...we were going to make that one our 1000th. Guess we'll just have to do a micro in a lamp post instead.... :)

Hey, don't knock quickies! :o

Hey everyone. I'm back from vacation. We are currently working on a solution for the site. At best we should be back up on Tuesday or so with all data intact. At worst, we'll be up at the end of next week with a brand new, clean site.

Sorry for all the confusion. This couldn't have happened at a worst time!

And what about picnic plans for the 10th???? I have a sneaking suspicion it is going to be postponed yet again.... :mad:

Hmm...we were going to make that one our 1000th. Guess we'll just have to do a micro in a lamp post instead.... <_<

Hey, don't knock quickies! :mad:

:mad: I'm not, just luv those hot sweaty quickies in the desert <_<

Hey everyone. I'm back from vacation. We are currently working on a solution for the site. At best we should be back up on Tuesday or so with all data intact. At worst, we'll be up at the end of next week with a brand new, clean site.

Sorry for all the confusion. This couldn't have happened at a worst time!

Welcome back, Rich! Wasn't it great to get away from here and not have to think about geocaching for your entire vacation?? <_<

Man, I am really starting to have withdrawals! Not only has the SoCal site been down, I just haven't had time to geocache in a while! :blink:

I sure hope I can remember how to use my GPSr.... :lol:

Anyone know if the SoCalGeocachers chat will still be a go tonight??? :)

Dave_W6DPS

Edited by Dave_W6DPS

I'l be there. www.socalgeocachers.com doesn't need to be running in order to chat... as long as you've already downloaded the stuff to make it work... I did that a LONG time ago and couldn't tell ya how, but I better remember real quick cuz I gotta start using my new computer soon.

Download MIRC, probably at mirc.com. Then open MIRC and click on file/options. Then select "add" server. For IRC server info enter "irc.freenode.net" for port enter "6667". No other data is needed. Connect to the server then select commands/join server and enter "scgeocachers". That should be it!

The site is back up! :o

Okay, what did you guys do while I was gone??? The Southern CA site disappeared. Who muggled the site?? No you can't blame it all on Lars. I know some of you have tried blame Lars, but I know a muggle took it.

I liked the site. I need to hear from WestwardHO, Firehouse, FullOn, etc, etc, etc. I miss lurking in the background and hearing your words of wisdom (did I say that??)