Geocrashing

acedj

Yesterday (20/5/04) my brother was geocaching and placed a cache in the port hills in Christchurch, found one in another place and logged the one he hid in his gps. Then went back down on his road bike. He was going down Dyers Pass Rd and went round the corner and slid on some gravel. He lost control of his bike and crashed into one of the brick wall retainers of one of the houses in the port hills. His new road bike that cost him $2000 got munted. The handlebar twisted and the wheel is buggered and his gps that is on the front of his bike came off and hit the brick wall and it was a new $350 etrex and it just smashed. We were at home and we got a phone call saying he was in A&E. He is sort of ok. He broke his thumb and fractured his eye socket and will need a plate put in his head and some plastic surgery.

Do you think there is any chance of setting up a page for donations so I can raise money to pay for his bike and gps (which were not insured)to get fixed and or replaced? Do you think it will work?

Edited by acedj
Do you think there is any chance of setting up a page for donations so I can raise money to pay for his bike and gps (which were not insured)to get fixed and or replaced? Do you think it will work?

You can try. Your ISP may host the site for free (many do up to a certain size) and many ISP's also have tools to create a website from scratch. They are very easy to work with. And if you want to add some custom HTML code, you might even find someone here who is willing to help. Check your ISP website's member services page for details. Good luck and I hope your brother is feeling better soon.

Edited by briansnat

Was it a motorcycle? If so, I feel for him... I got into an motorcycle accident and got off VERY lucky...

As far as setting up a donation site HERE, you'd have to ask a moderator to check with the powers that be. One of them should meander in here eventually, perhaps (if that is what you were asking for) they can give you some further info.

(and since you edited your post, my first reply no makes no sense! :huh: Though I'm not sure ANY of my replies make any sense... :huh: )

Good luck!

As far as setting up a donation site HERE, you'd have to ask a moderator to check with the powers that be. One of them should meander in here eventually, perhaps (if that is what you were asking for) they can give you some further info.

Yes, he will meander here, tell him no and lock the thread.

Ah, touched my heart . . . . .

I can set you up a donation site for free if you like.

I'll host it, build and integrate it with your own paypal account . . . . as well as providing links for people to send cheques etc . . . .

drop me a line . . . . . .

Couple of suggestions.

First, your brother should check with his homeowner's/renter's insurance. Stuff like that may be covered.

Second, if you really feel you MUST beg for money, you probably would have a better chance appealing to the local cachers in New Zealand who know you better then we do.

Third, since you just signed up and your very first post is begging me to give you $2500, don't count on it.

Just curious if your brother has any sense of responsibility for his actions. I've crashed a bike a couple of  times in the past, also a car and motorcycle once each because I was being careless. It never occurred to me to ask someone else to pay for my mistake.

My brother was not being careless!!!

There was gravel in the middle of the road and his back wheel froze up when he tried to use his brakes. He ran straight into a brick wall because he lost control!!!

... his gps that is on the front of his bike..... He broke his thumb and fractured his eye socket and will need a plate put in his head and some plastic surgery.

Only one post from me on the subject

[sPLEEN MODE ON]

That's why insurance was invented.

Sorry, but after having a $12,000 car written off by someone who was uninsured (and then having the subsequent hassles) I have no sympathy.

... Your brother is having major surgery and you're worried about an E-Trex? :)

Methinks you should re-assess relative values, mate - Or should I have begged for the cost of the CD player and camera that was damaged when a head-on collison took the life of a friend of the family?

[END SPLEEN]

This has been an official HLD Broadcast

... his gps that is on the front of his bike..... He broke his thumb and fractured his eye socket and will need a plate put in his head and some plastic surgery.

[sPLEEN MODE ON]

Sorry, but after having a $12,000 car written off by someone who was uninsured (and then having the subsequent hassles) I have no sympathy.

... Your brother is having major surgery and you're worried about an E-Trex? :)

Methinks you should re-assess relative values, mate - Or should I have begged for the cost of the CD player and camera that was damaged when a head-on collison took the life of a friend of the family?

[END SPLEEN]

You are so right. The little things don't matter. I mean I sure as hell would cuss my friends out if they banded to gether and got me a new GPS after an accident. How thoughtless!

As for an accident involving a death, maybe a GPS or CD palyer isn't the ticket, but you know what? Cooking a meal and bringing it over would of been in line, or paying for a caterer to swing by...

It's all relative and I don't think the thought is out of line even if the means of implemetning it don't warm everyone here in the forums over.

[sPLEEN MODE ON]

... Your brother is having major surgery and you're worried about an E-Trex? :tongue:

[END SPLEEN]

You are so right. The little things don't matter. I mean I sure as hell would cuss my friends out if they banded to gether and got me a new GPS after an accident. How thoughtless!

As for an accident involving a death, maybe a GPS or CD palyer isn't the ticket, but you know what? Cooking a meal and bringing it over would of been in line, or paying for a caterer to swing by...

It's all relative and I don't think the thought is out of line even if the means of implemetning it don't warm everyone here in the forums over.

I'm his brother and I'm only 13 and my brother doesn't know I am doing and he is very responsible and does not expect anyone to help him out, I just thought I'd try and help him.

He came out of surgery today. He looks better than he did and i just want to do something nice for him when he comes out because he a wonderful big brother for me and I don't have any money to do something special for him. So stop having a go at me all of you it is not what i need right now I'm trying to do my best! All his bike needs is a new handle bar and wheel.

Im just trying to do the best i can to help him each day since he went in i have been to see him. Some times im in there till 12 or 1 in the morning

Edited by acedj
I'm his brother and I'm only 13 and my brother doesn't know I am doing and he is very responsible and does not expect anyone to help him out, I just thought I'd try and help him.

You know who you are and what's going on, but we haven't been given any information to reassure us that this isn't a scam.

Two simple questions: What's your brother's geocaching name? What cache did he find before the accident?

I know it seems insensitive, but haven't you seen emails from or been approached by people with heart-rending stories that turn out to be total fabrications, designed to play on your sympathies? (If you're 13, you may not have yet, but you will, I'm afraid...)

You can make all of cynics eat our words with one or two words...

Acedj,

I apologise for the comment I made regarding your request for money. I read your message whilst in the foulest of moods and responded without thought. I was going to remove it, but Renegade Knight replied before I could retract it.

With all the scams for money going around, I was maybe too cynical, which didn't help.

I do regret the posting now (as I did when I had calmed down) and wish your brother a quick recovery. I know it's not easy when you have a family member in hospital and I too spent many days beside my father (who was fortunate to survive the accident I mentioned).

I trust you will accept this.

From a very embarrased Dwarf. :tongue:

This is my brothers info when i see him today i will ask him what cache he was doing

Osmirik

Email Address: arachnid@notdot.net

Home Page: Visit Homepage

Occupation Software Engineer

Forum Title: Premium Member

See the forum posts for this user

he works at niche software in christchurch im not sure how to spell niche

Just curious if your brother has any sense of responsibility for his actions. I've crashed a bike a couple of  times in the past, also a car and motorcycle once each because I was being careless. It never occurred to me to ask someone else to pay for my mistake.

My brother was not being careless!!!

There was gravel in the middle of the road and his back wheel froze up when he tried to use his brakes. He ran straight into a brick wall because he lost control!!!

Sorry to sound heartless. You obviously care a great deal for your brother and I admire your efforts to help him out in his misfortune.

Hi,

This was my brother's initiative - something he wanted to do for me. The loss of my GPS and the repair costs to my bike (along with the time at reduced pay while I recover) is likely to hamper my getting a new GPS for a while, but I do intend to return to geocaching as soon as I am able. To be frank, while I fully understand the skepticism, the original responses (with notable exceptions) came far closer to putting me off geocaching than the accident.

Anyway, the evidence so many wanted:

This is the cache I found just before the accident. I'm about to log the find (after this post + a break).

If you'll forgive the bad cellphone pics:

Me me.jpg

Me with my ex-etrex: megps.jpg

My ex-etrex: gpsfront.jpg

gpsback.jpg

Ouch! ;) Making me wince just looking at the pictures! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

And even though the initial reaction from some was a little harsh, I understand their skeptisism. There are far too many scams out there! But what your brother wants to do for you to get your bike fixed and a new GPS is really sweet I applaud him for wanting to help out in any way he can, and to want to do something nice for his big brother.

I spend most of my early teens just wanting to punch my big brother. :o

~Rhubarb

I'll host it, build and integrate it with your own paypal account . . . . as well as providing links for people to send cheques etc . . . .

The offer still stands if you're interested . . . .. . .

Whoa! You thumped that wall rather hard! Maybe they should post up those pics at the top to remind others what happens at the sort of crazy (and ya gotta agree with me here) speeds that people go down that hill (me being one).

Any idea what speed you were doing?

Best of luck in the recovery.

(PS: Unfortunately we live in a world where not everyone is genuine (how many Scam/Spam emails do you get a day?) - I've been told so many stories from people wanting money while travelling overseas - We've all come to realise how completely screwed one would be if it were actually genuine :blink: ).

I'll host it, build and integrate it with your own paypal account . . . .  as well as providing links for people to send cheques etc . . . .

The offer still stands if you're interested . . . .. . .

Thanks but no thanks :(

And my brother was going at 40 or 50 kmph 50 is like falling of a 25 metre bilding

Just thought I should update everyone on my current status:

I'm nearly all healed. The last remaining accident-caused-impediment is this accursed cast on my right hand (due to broken thumb), and that comes off Tuesday week. As soon as that happens, I'm off to sort out a new bike. I've been sorely missing cycling the last few weeks. Apart from that, I have a very action-hero style (and hopefully temporary) scar above my left eye.

I'm also the proud owner of a Garmin eTrex Legend to replace my yellow eTrex. I figured I may as well get a better one while I was at it. I finally managed to revisit the site of the cache I placed that day to recover the co-ordinates of the cache, so that's now listed, too. :(