Should I Mark This Cache As "needs Archived"?

Milbank

My son and I found this Cache today and I'm wondering how I should log it.

Please read the log I posted.

I marked it as "Found it"

Should I change it?

To me it sounds like you found something other than the cache. The people right before you seem to have really found it. Maybe you should change your find to a note?

My son and I found this Cache today and I'm wondering how I should log it.

Please read the log I posted.

I marked it as "Found it"

Should I change it?

To me it sounds like you found something other than the cache. The people right before you seem to have really found it. Maybe you should change your find to a note?

Actually, after reading other logs, there appears to be two containers here, or at least were two containers. This log makes a reference to "tins" not being able to keep moisture out, this log makes reference to both an ammo box and a tin, and this one mentions leaving a "second container" to hold some of the items that need better weather protection.

So, yes, it sounds like you do have a legitimate find of one of the two containers. And, judging from the last note posted after yours, the ammo box may quite possibly have been muggled. Keep your find, and file an SBA or an adoption request.

Should I Mark This Cache As "needs Archived"?

Yes. Go back and remove what remains of the cache and then post an SBA log that states that the owner has been inactive for almost two years, that the abandoned cache was in deplorable condition, and that you have removed it.

After the cache has been archived, you (or anyone else) will be free to create a new cache at the location. (Assuming the area is worthwhile bringing people to.) Just place the new cache far enough away from the original site to frustrate any "muggles" that had found the original cache. Forget about adoption.

Edited by Bassoon Pilot

There were two tins:

April 20, 2003 by Lunatic (21 found)

I took Sammi and the two of us did some service work on the cache. Put a second container there to hold some of the things that need better weather protection. I think once the weather warms up, things will dry out and it'll be fine. We also placed some dead asparagus plant shrubbery over the cache to camoflauge it a bit since it is so exposed otherwise.

I think the owners had two tins out there and you found the cruddy one. Don't archive it.

Hey here's a thought: Adopt it!

I think you should try to meet up with sir and lady cache a lot to find the container(s?) and fix it up. And assuming the owner doesn't respond to email, one of you adopt the cache.

edit:

Ah, this is an interesting log. This cache just seems to keep getting more containers added to :)

August 24, 2003 by darskmeisters (13 found)

This one took a while to get to. The ammo can is in good shape, the other tin's contents were damp and beginning to mildew. Added a ring, pink silk rosebud, and a smiley bouncy ball. Took the folk CD.

Edited by welch