Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reviewer Niatpac Nagrom

Finns, You Give Me Cephalalgia...

Once again 10 mystery / multicaches in finnish review queue and only 2 traditional ones. I already thought that now I will give up and resign this volunteer job...

Fortunately swedes, danes and norwegians make mostly traditional caches, as those are quick and easy to approve.

But tell me finns, why do you like to make so much multi and mystery caches ???

Regards, Olli

why do you like to make so much multi and mystery caches ???

I dunno, last time I made a mystery cache, it was suggested by the guy I made the mystery cache with! I hear he's approving caches in Finland... :(:huh: :huh:

why do you like to make so much multi and mystery caches ???

I dunno, last time I made a mystery cache, it was suggested by the guy I made the mystery cache with! I hear he's approving caches in Finland... :(:huh: :huh:

Heh, yep, that's true and I'm also planning a "supermystery" but it will be my last one of that kind. Anyway, it looks that here in Finland is much more multi and mystery caches than in any other country in Nordic and Baltic countries region. I'm just wondering why...?

Aaarrrggh, no more reviewing tonight:

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transaction (Process ID 220) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Transaction (Process ID 220) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Anyway, it looks that here in Finland is much more multi and mystery caches than in any other country in Nordic and Baltic countries region. I'm just wondering why...?

My guess it's just a local trend, which has happened to go towards mystery (or multi) caches lately. It doesn't necessarily have to do anything with countries or nationalities. It might as well be a trend of a smaller area too. It occurs when someone or someones start doing certain things in a special way, and other people start (sub)consciously doing similar stuff. It isn't necessarily copying or stealing ideas, it's more like doing things the way people think they've supposed to be done. Many times new cachers make their first own caches the same way their finds have been done. If 7 out of 10 first caches you found were multis, you might very well want your first own cache to be 'nothing less' than those finds.

The similar local trends have been seen on different areas before. For instance, at some point many caches in west coast of USA were wrapped in plastic bags, while practically no one used them in the east coast. I noticed a similar minitrend in Turku, Finland. Almost every container was wrapped in (typically broken and wet inside after first few finds) plastic bags. That's probably because the very first caches in Turku were all (or mostly) wrapped.

Somebody somewhere in the US or Canada started to use graduated hints, i.e. giving encrypted hints with levels of difficulty, so you could decrypt them gradually, not having to see the final hideaway at once. Suddenly everyone in that area started to give their additional hints similarly. It became a local trend.

So, I guess some ideas and ways of doing certain things just catch wind in different ways different times in different places. Today we have lots of mystery caches here, tomorrow we (hopefully :huh:) have more good old single traditional ones deep in forests with a nice hike to them.

Somehow I feel that Tahu Nuva is referring to me in this post :huh: I'm responsible of three multies and two mysteries currently in his review queue. In addition, all my 18 other caches fall into these two categories.

I don't have anything against traditional caches and seaching them is almost as much fun as solving puzzles for multies and mysteries. But I also want to enjoy hiding a cache and in that process work with a traditional cache is over too soon. It somehow feels too easy. Hiding a cache should be challenge as well.

But don't worry. I will hide a traditional cache one day. There will never be any micros though. Those things I do have something against :(:huh:

Well, mikkozzz, you're not the only one who has been manufacturing multi and mystery caches lately, although just now you happened to submit 50% of those to finnish review queue. So I'm not referring to just you but to all finns who make a lot of multi and mystery caches.

Edited by Tahu Nuva

Anyway, it looks that here in Finland is much more multi and mystery caches than in any other country in Nordic and Baltic countries region. I'm just wondering why...?

My guess it's just a local trend, which has happened to go towards mystery (or multi) caches lately. It doesn't necessarily have to do anything with countries or nationalities. It might as well be a trend of a smaller area too.

Divine, I guess you're right. Well, personally I just wish that this trend ends some day and we will get a majority of traditional caches. Of course in some places it's better to make an easy two step multi cache to prevent muggles to find the container and sometimes when you get a brilliant idea a mystery is the only choice.

Talking about Multis and mysteries:

Please tell the poor seeker which north reference you have used when I need to project a waypoint. (xxx meters to yyy degrees.)

My default is true north but if the next step is placed based on magnetic, needle or even cartographic (Which projection???) north the new waypoint may be too far from the correct one.

At least there would be one possible error source eliminated...

Edited by Erwast

In Finland is now 700 geocaches (and 3 events):

• Traditional 67%
  • Multi-stage 22%
  • Unknown (Mystery) 9%
  • Webcam 2%
  • Virtual 1%
  • Letterbox/hybrid 2 caches

There is 31 traditional ones in last 50 caches = 62%.

In my opinion the ratio of different caches is quite good. Number of traditionals may grow slower than amount of other kinds, but I think it's OK.

I agree with Mikkozzz.

I don't have anything against traditional caches and seaching them is almost as much fun as solving puzzles for multies and mysteries. But I also want to enjoy hiding a cache and in that process work with a traditional cache is over too soon. It somehow feels too easy. Hiding a cache should be challenge as well.

There is definitely more diversity in caches than here in the UK. Several caches we did groundwork on our trip in January, and had to do homework before our return trip in June.

They're good for the locals, but visitors might find the multis/mysteries rather difficult to find.

(Does that make us locals? :huh: )

Cheers,

Stu

You give me cephalalgia...

And in the long term it may result as alopecia. :huh: :huh:

You give me cephalalgia...

And in the long term it may result as alopecia. 

If it comes, I hope it isn't alopecia universalis.

I have met several traditional caches which should be multicaches. If the cache is for some popular scene, memorial etc I prefer to see the main point and then seek the cache without lot's of people around - that makes the cache more safe, too.

I did hide two caches today and I'll introduce them as multi caches in couple of days. One of them might work as traditional but the other one would loose it's idea completely even though it could be seen as an introduction for people at the area where geocaching is not known yet. And I need to admit - this one has long steps which I don't like myself but in this case they are needed.

By the way - these library net computers are great when you are on vacation.

But tell me finns, why do you like to make so much multi and mystery caches ???

I think the reason to your Cephalalgia is quite clear at least for us, the beginners:

We have to read the logs written to our own caches carefully and take those as feedback !! I have hidden three caches, and clearly the most positive feedback comes to the only multicache !! I feel like I should not ignore it !!

Also like Mikkozzz already said, hiding a traditional cache is over toooo soon !!! The next one I will hide will be a bit more difficult (harder) multicache, I think. Anyway planning for it has already made me work much more than the previous ones all together.

Soon you poor Approvers do not have any time for hunting at ALL !! Everybody want get positive feedback and the other way round, finding more challenging caches makes everybody to give couraging feedback. :tongue:

In February did we have an event in Göteborg (Sweden) where a German cacher (emzett) was present, and he told us that in Germany the most caches are multi.

If you want to show a beautiful place, why give the coordinates to the place right away? Why let people see on the maps provided by geocaching.com where the cache is hidden? Also it can protect from people wanting to destroy caches...

Instead of giving the final coordinates, you hide a filmcanister or use a roadsign or something useful... Let people find out the final coordinates, and let them get an "WOW!" experience when they reach the beautiful place...

And this is an idea that I belive in.. Sounds good to me......

Swedish stats as of 18:37 Swedish time today:

Mystery: 47 (1.8%)

Multi: 278 (10.6%)

Traditional: 2260 (86.2%)

Event: 2 (almost 0%)

Virtual: 16 (0.6%)

Webcam: 18 (0.6%)

============

Total: 2621

So multi and mystery caches are bad for tourism industry in Finland  :lol:  :)

Having just tried geocaching in Tampere and Hämeenlinna on monday afternoon on my way back to the deep south in Helsinki, have to agree that multi caches aren't so fun after all. I've been tempted a couple of times to establish a math comforted near-impossible multi cache just to demonstrate what I mean, but till the date have restrained and fought back against giving in to such ideas. Don't know how long I can hold it, under the current protracted circumstances that is. :blink::P:)