Which Gpsr?

I have started geocaching by accompanying a friend who has a receiver. It's time for me to get my own unit but I'm confused by all the options! I would like adequate memory to download maps (both street and topo) and other information and the ability to connect to a PC or PDA.

First question: I have a HP iPaq 2210. Is it cost effective to add GPS to this pocket PC or purchase a standalone handheld GPSr? Are there software limitations or benefits in choosing either option?

If I decide to use the iPaq, what are the best options for adding a GPSr? I have heard of Bluetooth HP and Pharos Bluetooth GPS units retailing around $329 (found one for $250) and a smaller version that either plugs into the CF slot or comes with a Bluetooth receiver retailing around $200+. Are there others?

I have only looked at Garmin and Magellan units. My choices here are listed below -- depending on what bargains I can find! :huh: Opinions?

- Garmin eTrex Vista

- Magellan SporTrak Map

- Magellan SporTrak Pro

- Magellan Meridian Gold

see refurbished model at

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/item/default.asp?SKU=97541

Any opinions or misgivings regarding purchasing a refurbished Meridian Gold with a limited 90 day warranty instead of the normal 1 year?

Your PDA is not up to the harsh task of Geocaching unless you entirly do Urban caches and I'm not sure of it even then. You can get good bargains on PDA GPS units but normally they are priced more than hand helds.

The Vista and the Pro are roughly equil units. The Vista has a compass, higher rez screen and is smaller. The Sport Track pro has a better antanea. Both are good units though given a choice I'm a Garmin fan...

Your PDA is not up to the harsh task of Geocaching unless you entirly do Urban caches and I'm not sure of it even then. You can get good bargains on PDA GPS units but normally they are priced more than hand helds.

Thank you Renegade Knight! Your answer corresponds to my gut after doing some on-line shopping.

Are both Garmin and Magellan limited to the software they can use? Or, can I download any useful owftware/maps from my PC or PDA?

With either manufacturer, what accessories will I need to purchase? (...trying to calculate ultimate cost...)

Oh yeah, I'm still interested in opinions regarding the "bargain" at the url cited originally.

TIA

:huh:

Both Garmin and Magellan (and everyone else for that matter) have their own software that you will need to use with your GPS if you want maps on your GPS. Most computer based mapping software will work with both brands but you are limited to working with waypoints and routes.

Magellans Topo and Garmins Topo software is comperable. I think Garmin City Select has an advantage if you are using an auto routing GPS, but that's not on your list of GPS's so maybe it's not as much of a consideration.

You will want a computer cable at the minimum. Maps if you like them and maybe an auto mount for driving around wiht your GPS. The rest gets into specialized uses.

I don't know enough about those Magellans at the URL to say anything.