Kerry Signs Off

:lol: A note from Kerry follows:

As I am basically totally restricted in being able to post anything right now if you could simply mention I have left as management obviously have some unknown problems with what I have to say, wish every one well who cares.

bye mate.

Cheers, Kerry.

I'm not sure what the problem was (I probably missed something) but I consider Kerry to be an interesting person ( and a bit of a mystery) who has been around for some time. I know his technospeak rubs some the wrong way, but he does have some knowledge going for him that I and others lack. I'll miss trying to figure it out, and I'll hope for his return to the boards soon.

Oh, I've posted this here on the GPS Units section because this is where he usually hangs out.

Edited by EraSeek

A couple of us pointed out that more than half of his posts were sarcastic and demeaning. Kerry proceeded to pick a fight with everyone, including the moderators, just to prove our point.

My first experience with Kerry, more than two years ago, was very sour. He attacked me for suggesting that my Map330 maintained a lock with only two satellites. I had been caching for less than a month. There was no acceptable reason for Kerry to demean me like that. A reasonable and prudent person would tell me I was wrong and, civilly, explain why.

"A reasonable and prudent person would tell me I was wrong and, civilly, explain why"

Yes, yes, quite true. Thus let me be civil and explain where you are wrong to go after him... Have you always been civil and prudent? I think you know what I am speaking of and it has nothing to do with me or Kerry.

I'm all for civility. Far too little of it these days. The best way to deal with incivility is to respond with increasingly greater civility. Perhaps it will catch on by example. If not, go on to someone else worth talking to.

At any rate, with all his quirkiness I think he added value to the discussion, in example, ever pointing out our tendency toward the myth of accuracy.

My behavior does not preclude me from taking issue with someone Else's behavior.

My short fall is confronting anyone that comes at me with a weak argument. I did get out of hand for awhile. I probably would have been banned under the new moderation.

If you intend to generalize, I suppose we were both rude. However that doesn't mean I have no right to say anything.

ever pointing out our tendency toward the myth of accuracy.

Anyone with a light grasp of the technology could offer that in a discussion.

A couple of us pointed out that more than half of his posts were sarcastic and demeaning.

That's funny, I just looked at his last 100 posts or so, and other than the tiff the other day, I didn't see anything sarcastic or demeaning. Kerry has always had a posting style that is short and to the point. He never talked about the politics of caching, just took the time to point out the technical details of GPS systems. His input was always welcome.

My first experience with Kerry, more than two years ago, was very sour. He attacked me for suggesting that my Map330 maintained a lock with only two satellites. I had been caching for less than a month. There was no acceptable reason for Kerry to demean me like that.

Posted: May 20 2002, 07:51 PM

Geocacher

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by leatherman:

The Magellan units will continue reading even if you drop down to just two sattilites.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nah, no way known will any GPS continue to navigate with only 2 sats.

Cheers, Kerry.

Weren't you the thin-skinned newbie back then. :huh:

...other than the tiff the other day, I didn't see anything sarcastic or demeaning. Kerry has always had a posting style that is short and to the point.  He never talked about the politics of caching, just took the time to point out the technical details of GPS  systems. His input was always welcome.

I agree. For some DA reason, he either got up on the wrong side of the bed, had a bug in the wrong location or something, but his backhanded slaps and sarcasm (which translated into disdain in this incident) were uncalled for.

...and before anybody points out I've done the same... yes I have... and they were equally uncalled for and just as called out. Civil communication is always best to get the point across.

It's a shame Kerry couldn't just back off enough to figure that out before he got banned from posting. I think being banned was a little extreme. Perhaps a warning shot across the bow would have been better.

Heck - I was thinking the same way CO Admin did when she asked for it in English. She just said it before I did.

Edited by TotemLake

FWIW...3 times in the last year I emailed Kerry directly and asked for a "less technical" discussion and he always took the time to politely email me an answer...sometimes you just have to realize that you get what you give at times...why is it so hard to "agree to disagree" and move on...some appreciate Kerry's level of technical info and some don't...bottomline..it will always be "different strokes for different folks..."

I've been away for a long time, so I don't know all of the background here.

I have always been more interested in the technology of geocaching rather than the actual hunting or hiding, and in the beginning when I was just playing with my Magellan, (for that matter I don't do anything but play with it) whenever I needed advice it was always way faster to ask here than to talk to Magellan. And yes I asked stupid questions and got stupid answers, and I gave sarcastic answers to seemingly "simple" questions, and yes I was involved in a thread here that got stopped due to mis-interpretted comments by me.

All that said, lets step back and take a look at what's going on here. We're a bunch of (insert debate here) tech geeks posting our opinions. And that's all it is, opinions. Just typed word. For all of you that don't know, the typed word is a poor medium for communicating at best.

Now before you flame me I will qualify that. There is no inflection in the typed word, there is no emphasis in the typed word. So how are we mere mortals going to interpret someone else's words and attitudes with only words on a page. I would dare say that over half of the communication that is done in a face to face coversation is in the non-verbal form. Inflection, emphasis, tone, facial expression etc.

Let's get real here. It's just opinion, if you don't like someone else's answer to your question get over it. No one is forcing you to post or read.

Comments welcome

LK

klassenl @ yahoo{remove}.com

P.S. If this post makes you irritated, give yourself a reality check and read it again.

Did anyone else think this was about the presidential election?

From the Subject/tag line, that's the reason I clicked on this thread... :lol:

Otherwise I have no knowledge of who Kerry is. I do however respect the opinions of EraSeek and therefore would be inclined to believe Kerry's point has some merit.

Edited by Us 5 Camp

Kerry has been interesting in the past, with his posts on ACCURACY, which with most of my experience is that he posted mostly on that subject, which seemed to come from another angle of reasoning. I too am interested in Electronics and technology, and how the stuff works, which is much different than in the horse-an-buggy days of the past.(That time wasnt very long ago)

ACCURACY:

(These are Factors involved in accuracy of all GPS units)

1) Quality of the components in the GPS.(Can be expensive on the high end)

2) The Firmware of the GPS, being able to filter through the good and bad signals.

3) How you are holding the GPS, is a big factor.

4) Does the GPS have a current Alminac of the positions and health of each satellight? You can get a fresh updated alminac by having the gps out in the open for over 10 minutes. If the satellight that is sending your gps the Alminac info, gets blocked by a passing tree, the gps has to try again to get the alminac from a satellight, because the gps needs to know which satellight is sick and not to be used.

5) Are there alot of Tall and or wet trees around you? (Huge evergreen trees seem to kill the signal for me)

6) Are there any surfaces near you that can reflect a signal back toward you messing up the accuracy for your GPS?

7) Has your GPS been checked against a professional model, to determine accuracy, and any bad components replaced in the gps?

8) Would doing averaging on a low quality gps do any good versus a $10,000 GPS averaging for an hour?

9) Averaging when you have a poor signal versus out in the open sky??

I can go on, but Kerry's favorite subject of ACCURACY is a very big unknowed, because there are so many issues effecting our GPS use. All I know is that Kerry is human also, and only GOD knows our problems. Also how come science and technology hasnt given us a One Gigabyte, One centimeter accurate high powered GPS for only $100, say 5 years ago???

I too try never to attack with sharp words, because that can really hurt, but I try to quote things back using my human memory. It is best to just insert a quote, and/or a link, without mentioning names, to just provide the info you have, but there is alot of junk on the internet too.

Edited a few times for spelling, still not perfect.

Edited by GOT GPS?
Too bad someone has to leave because a few whiners or sharp words, it's an internet forum, leave your little feelings out of it.

Well that was the problem wasn't it. Kerry couldn't keep his feelings out of it and felt it necessary to be insulting. So, if standing up and refusing to be insulted makes a person a whiner, well then at least they stood up and rebuked him for it and not laying down and taking it.

No matter how intelligent a person is, nor how valuable their input is, it does not give them the right to dish it out and expect not to recieve it back. It was wrong and he should be man enough to admit it.

It wasn't the answer to the question that started it, it was the backhanded slap when asked to give it back in English. Frankly the original answer was in greek to most except those at the level it was given...

And Tak1, it's apparent you didn't completely believe what you typed. If you thought the written word didn't have an impact, you wouldn't have prefaced it with

Now before you flame me I will qualify that.

Frankly, the written word can have as great or little emotional impact dependent entirely upon how those words are strung together to make a statement. But to answer your question, there is the capability in these forums to put in smilies with your text to indicate humor, shock, and other emotions. Kerry clearly knew how to do that with his later post about Leatherman and he didn't come back and say ooops that was meant with tongue in cheek. So take it for what you will, there were enough of us that took it the way we did, and he re-emphasized it with his last post in that thread.

I will emphasize here without knowing the grounds behind the ban, the ban was extreme. I've seen others get away with more than that. So was there more behind the scenes that we don't know about?

==edited for spelling==

Edited by TotemLake