I use a laptop now......But

Tacomahunter

But I got kind of nervous leaving a 3,000 dollar laptop in the vehicle - espeically on those caches which take a while to find.

I now use a Palm Pilot. I download every cache without 100 miles of where I'm hunting. Nice having every report at my finger tips (including the hints) via Pocke Queiries.

Monday I have to renw my Verison contract. I'm thinking of upgrading my phone to one with a built in PDA.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty O Junk:The pocket query has all the information you need for in the field, ahh woods.

I was all set with my freshly loaded Palm Pilot, all the caches for 100 miles ready for my surfing. The waypoints were loaded into the GPS (I'm saving money so I can upgrade to one of those GPSr units that all the elite folks use!), I had my jar of trinkets, and a travel bug ready to drop. I was headed into a target rich environment, caches, travel bugs, first finds, they were all right there for the taking. I arrived at the hotel, knowing that I would find several hours of prime caching time each day for the next couple days. icon_cool.gif I gathered my tools and prepared to exit the rental car. The door swings open, the Palm Pilot hits the parking lot, the battery cover pops loose, and a battery rolls under the car.

Tradgedy! Terror! Oh, the Humanity! icon_redface.gif Can I recover and reinstall it before it goes braindead! I can hear the flatline as I crawl around the parking lot on my hands and knees. Aha! I find the batteries and rush to install them.

Which end is the plus end? Which way do they fit? I feel it's memory fading away. 1s and 0s turning into .6s and .2s, I fumble the battery and finally get them installed. My hands tremble as I snap the battery lid closed.

Carefully, I turn the Palm over. I open the lid, and tentatively press the power button. It comes to life! Yes!

No! What do you mean 'ERROR, Please press reset". icon_frown.gif My heart sinks, my knees buckle, I sit back into the rental car and hit my head on the roof. Maybe it means, reset, and then everything will be OK? Nope. It means you get NOTHING! No caches! No clues! No idea if the waypoint in my GPS is a virtual.

Technology has reached out and slapped me! Payback for all those times when I unplugged the electrical cord just to show it who was the boss! Payback for failing to purchase the latest upgrade in software. Payback for eating powdered donuts and drinking Diet Pesi while typing on the keyboard.

The next day, I humbly approached the local library with my pen and pad of paper. Picked the caches, verified that the waypoint was in the GPS, a couple notes as to what I was looking for, and off we go.

Life is good. Dropped a bug, Grabbed a bug, one first find, five caches total. icon_razz.gif

-Cache4Corn

I knew there was a reason I had that Palm sitting around (and a few measly bucks to become a charter member...) win/win! This is great. No more printing off papers to take. Combine that with the auto-conversion utility for hints and you're good to go. I may still use a Mapquest printout to get me in the area though, who knows. Just starting out and having more fun as I go! icon_wink.gif

-Mixster

One of the big advantages is the Pocket Query function. It is a custom search that allows you to set parameter such as difficulty and terrain, type, search center, etc. for up to 500 caches and downloads them in an indexed, searchable eBook format. You can run 5 searches at a time.

And membership helps to support the geocaching.com site...

icon_smile.gif