Is There A Us Shop That Ship To Europe?

Is anyone aware of a USA/Canada online shop that ships to Europe (Holland)? A GPS unit costing 250$ in the USA goes all the way up to 500$ in Europe! I am almost thinkin of using a mail forwarding service from the USA.

Edited by slurpey

Hi Slurpey,

I'm trying to purchase one from http://www.offroute.com. I don't see why they wouldn't ship to your part of the world.

The frustrating part is they are out of stock of the one I ordered (Magelan Sportrak). :lol: And in fact, are out of stock of ...

Garmin:

eTrex Legend

Map 76CS

Map 76c

Map 60C

Map 60CS

Magellan:

SporTrak

SporTrak Map

Meridian Gold.

I'm after something that will hold more than one route, and can upload POI from software, so I'm going to see if I can get an Etrex Venture. I would have liked the helix antena, though.

I guess the frustration I'm having now is that I started this process 4 weeks ago. I figured that was plenty of time to get my GPS in time for my planned trip, in just under 3 weeks from now. I can't however blame Offroute. Bryan, has at least kept me informed of the delays, and I have no doubt I'll eventually recieve my GPSr.

Assembler...

Assembler was indeed the user I was talking about. Sorry to hear about your frustrating problems.

I bought my GPSMAP 60C from Tiger GPS. They ship worldwide, but charge a hefty $60 - $80 for international shipping (includes express and insured delivery). That said, it sounds like you'll still save a lot of money, and Assembler could get his desired GPSr in time for his trip.

The following is their statement regarding international customers:

International customers: we only ship via UPS International Express, which costs $60-$80, but is fully insured and guaranteed and only takes 2-3 business days to arrive. Please note: any customers wishing to pay with a credit card issued by a non-US bank will be asked to furnish additional information to verify the identiy of the cardholder. For orders above $1000, we do not accept international credit cards. The only payment options are wire transfer or check.

Edited by Neo_Geo

I'm in the UK, and I find the price deference between US and Europe "annoying" to say the least.

here's what I have found:

If you want a unit with internal maps then US units have the wrong base map- however if you have some onboard memory then you can fix this easyily with Mapsource worldmap, roads and rec or similar.

In the UK if you order in from abroad, you run the risk of being charged VAT and import duty, in the UK this adds around 25% to the cost, and on high spec GPS units there's a very good chance of them being stopped and charged, not sure about holland though.

If you do want to go down that route try www.gpscity.com I've used them and they do offer european shipping.

If you can buy in the EU then you will not have any duty or tax to pay, If you have a look on ebay you will find grey imports from the US of most models for less than the dealer prices, an etrex will be around £79 +delivery probably as cheap as shipping from the USA

I don't know if you mentioned which model you are after, I have a couple of week old Etrex Legend, I bought in the US, it has data cable, manuals and (back up)copies of Mapsource Worldmap, Roads and rec Europe, and Metroguide europe which I will sell for £150 +delivery. The only reason I'm willing to change it so quick is I have a friend going to the USA in a couple of weeks who will bring me back a 60c and I need the money. I don't know how that compares with dutch prices, Email me direct if that's of interest.

cheers

John

I don't have any direct experience with this issue, but two things that I have discussed with friends in the UK are these:

1. A commercial store shipping goods overseas is going to send it right into the lap of customs, where all the taxes and duties that Americans don't pay will be added. You won't end up saving much, and the warantee probably won't be good in your country.

2. If you have a friend mail or bring you an item, avoiding customs, again the manufacturer's warrantee will probably not be valid in your country. This is a risk some might take if the saving is large enough. I'd b e really hesitant to do it with electronics. If you have friends that regularly (more than once a year) and are willing to help, or if you visit the US. Then this might be be worthwhile.

Garmin seems to offer first rate customer service world wide, my US bought map176 seemed to be using batteries when left switched of, the Garmin Europe took it in and checked it, returning it with a new set of batteries. There was no problem with it, it turns out my cig lighter in the car was faulty, so the unit was using internal batteries in stead of external power -sorry Garmin.

so I really don't have an issue with importing from the USA.