Which Higher-end Handheld Should I Buy?

I bought a eTrex venture which was fun but I ran quite quickly out of options. I use my gps mainly for geocaching but also for traveling (routes) and I find it great in cities to go from a monument to the other one..!

Now.. I've done some research and I came up with Meridian Platinum as the best option but... I'm still unsure.

Basically I like:

-Lots of memory

-Lots of tracking and waypoints

-Possibilities to upload maps outside USA (I am in Europe)

-Routes

Lets say that I search to a max of 350 US$. Comments on this?

Thanks! :lol:

You describe the same path I took to my Plat: I bought a used Venture to learn GPS and gain enough experience to identify the features that were and weren't important to me. Then I sold the Venture and got a Platinum. I've been very happy with it, and the SD memory has slowed down greatly the forces that otherwise would have led me to outgrow it.

One of the reasons I bought a Meridian was the bang for the buck factor. At the time I purchased, I was able to get a plat over a gold because the price difference was only $20. However, a price check at www.shopharmony.com (where I bought, another good place to check prices is www.compuplus.com) shows a current price of $255 for the plat and $169 for the gold. I'd go for the gold in this case--depends how important that electronic compass would be for you. European prices are higher; I think a lot of people buy US and switch basemaps.

Also, to get best value you will need to buy an SD card and MapSend software of some sort. The gold (and the color) comes with a package called the travelers pack, which is a nice bundle. The drawback is that it includes only a 64MB SD card, which I consider only minimally adequate.

I also saw for the first time as I was browsing Harmony Computers the marketing of something called accessory kits that bundle software, SD cards, and other stuff. The description lists MapSend Streets & Destinations (an older program), but pictures MapSend DirectRoute (the newest). I much prefer DR, which has more accurate maps and autorouting. DR Europe is supposed to come out in a month or so.

If you haven't read it yet, check out the FAQs link below for Meridian capabilities, warts, and workarounds.

Edited by embra

I'm not very familiar with the Magellan line of products. I spent a little time looking at the Meridian Gold and MapSend products on Magellan's Web page. I did not see the word "autorouting" anywhere in the GPSr description. I see there is a DirectRoute product "To be available as a stand-alone product in Europe in the Spring of 2004". I'm not sure if this means the US product will be available in Europe or if there will be a European version. Since I can't find a European version, and summer 2004 is a couple of days away, I'm thinkin' the US product is available in Europe...?

Since Slurpey is in Holland and mentions "routes" as a desired feature, I feel it is important to clarify if Slurpey is refering to autorouting, and if that feature is available in European maps on the Meridian models. :lol:

Good questions; I can shed some light on them. Autorouting is not built into the Meridians per se, it requires some version of DirectRoute which will add autorouting capability.

The US version of DirectRoute came out the beginning of this year after a month or two delay from their target release date. Latest word on the European version is that their vaguely-worded "spring 2004" release is likely to be in July.

It sounds like you will have to priortize your desires.

Magellan or Garmin will have better maps outside the USA. One will route better based on it's better maps.

On the Garmin side the GPS's you should be looking at are

The GPS V deluxe. Cheaper price but less memory than the:

GPS 60C and 60CS which have more memory.

I'm not sure if the GPS V will come with Eurpoean maps or not in your area. In the USA it comes with City Select which will save you money over the GPS 60 which is allready more expensive.

Any thoughts on how these compare to the SporTrak series, specifically the SporTrak Topo?

I bought a SporTrak Pro a couple weeks ago but I'm considering giving it back to Wal-mart so I can buy the Topo model from the linked dealer here at Groundspeak. I am also considering the Meridian series though for the larger amount of "whatever-I-want-to-load-it-with" memory vs the SporTrak Topo.

My main uses for the GPSr are as a Cavalry Scout with the National Guard on the weekends (need quality topo data), geocaching, and road trips (turn-by-turn routing). In that order.

I hope I'm not hijacking Slurpey's thread. I don't think so though since we're both looking at the same price range.

Id say don't get the GPS V, but Get a GPS 60C at least, it is a very good GPS.

The Meridian Platinum is a good unit too, but say if you where doing some running, and you wanted to keep track of your running, get the GPS 60C, and not the Meridian Platinum, because the 60C has much better Tracklogging with with segmenting of the tracklog available, and much better Trip Computer information too.

For just Geocaching, nothing beats a Magellan Meridian Platinum, it is the best in my experience, and It worked good for me. MY new GPS 60C has worked exceptionally well at zeroing on caches for me now. There still are some angry trees that give me reception problems, but that is with all gps units too.

Edit

I Just saw the max price and that makes the Platinum the best choice i believe.

Edited by GOT GPS?