Down Loaded Cache Info?

Sal&Z

Hi all,

Relatively new to Caching :lol: . I just got a etrex legend & am not quite sure how to access the downloaded information. I can get the way points & navigation but how do I get to the Caches Specific details such as name of cache, Clues, recent posts, etc. I know this has probably been asked a million times, so I apologize :lol: . I Download info via EasyGPS into the legend. Thanks for all your help. :unsure:

Hi all,

Relatively new to Caching :lol: . I just got a etrex legend & am not quite sure how to access the downloaded information. I can get the way points & navigation but how do I get to the Caches Specific details such as name of cache, Clues, recent posts, etc. I know this has probably been asked a million times, so I apologize :lol: . I Download info via EasyGPS into the legend. Thanks for all your help. :unsure:

Start off by creating some pocket queries from the GC.com PQ Generator. This will allow you to download .GPX files which contain all the information you are asking about. To use the information you will need a program like Geocaching Swiss Army Knife for your PC. If you want to go paperless and keep all your cache info on a PDA, then Cachemate is probably the best $7.00 you will ever spend. Alternatively, you can simply print the 'cache pages for the 'caches you want to after...

If you're expecting to find that info on your GPS, you won't. The GPS will only have the waypoint name (GCxxx) and the coordinates. Some models also have the capability to store the cache name, but the Legend isn't one of them.

As the above poster said, if you want to bring this stuff along, you'll need a PDA (or pocket PC) and a GC.COM membership so you can import the GPX files from this website thorugh Pocket Queries. I just purchased Cachemate this week and installed it yesterday and I agree that it's worth th $7. The app rocks! It's a lot more robust and easier to use than the combo of Spinner and Plucker that I previously used. The latter is free though.

Thanks for the heads up all & quick replies. Will have to try this at a future time. How many people do you suppose go about geocaching by downloading the coords & printing out the info to carry with them? Sometimes I do & other times I just go by the coords without a clue (literally) :lol: I guess it's a matter of convenience & how much you want to spend. I'll have to do a whole new research on which PDA to buy now :lol: Again thanks so much. :unsure: