Bbc Southern Counties Radio

BBC Southern Counties radio are looking for a Geocacher in the Brighton area that is willing to go out with a reporter to do a feature.

If anybody is interested, then could they email me at sarah@teamtate.co.uk.

Thanks

Sarah x

Edited by Team Tate

I do now have a volunteer. We are going to take part in interviews etc fairly soon so will let you all know when it is going to be broadcast.

Not sure if I want to do this bit though.....they are looking for another interest in geocaching - i.e people who are opposed to it! Anyone remember what the site for the Mod Ants is? Don't think I want to give them that one really!!

Sarah x

I would be wary if they want to have people opposed to geocaching on it. I think it would be better only to give positive views on the game/sport. There have been radio interviews in the past where the radio have done their best to slate the game and the people that take part, do we really want to help people to do this again?

i have to agree, they're only going to find someone with a perceived greavance against the sport to rant against you. most land owners don't have problems with us as we're only there (mostly) with their permission. so who are they going to have against you?

would make me very wary of taking part.

but then i'm a cynical git.

Given the less than logical and reasonable reaction of the ModAnts I would be totally opposed to giving them any publicity at all.

My suggestion would be somebody like a contact in English Nature who was very wary at first but had the good grace to listen to rational argument and who changed their views based on experience. They will be able to explain their initial misgivings and explain how those were addressed.

If you don't have access to details I'm sure I can dig them out :huh:

I don't really think that the 'article' will go that way as I will try to persuade them to look at all angles as positive. I wasn't keen on the idea of a conflicting angle so haven't really given them anything to point towards in that direction.

They just wanted to look at caching from a different perspective - us as a family, out and about with a cacher & then something else. Will be discussing this with them in the week. Although English nature does seem to be another good option so may suggest that one.

Will also obtain a recording somehow so that you can all hear it - and us as we can't pick it up from here either!

Sarah x

Not sure if I want to do this bit though.....they are looking for another interest in geocaching - i.e people who are opposed to it!

<flame on>

Doesn't this just tell you all you need to know about the press - even the "responsible" people at the BBC who are meant to be above all this ?

Why can't something new, nice, and harmless, be portrayed as such ?

Why do they always have to find some nutter who claims that Geocaching (or mobile phones, or the Internet, or anything at all really) causes cancer ? Or will someone come up with "don't let your kids under 18 out Geocaching alone, because drug-peddling terrorist paedophiles will get them" ?

Come to that, why does every single drama series on TV show non-stop conflict between people ?

Give me politicians any day. At least we expect them to put spin on everything.

<flame off>

Edited by sTeamTraen

someone from hampshire council would be good. i'm sure they started not really being pro, but they're onboard now and they must have some good points to say from a land owner point of view. it would give a different perspective yet still be positive for the sport.

we could then benefit. land owners listening might consider requests if they hear a positive reaction from someone.

just a thought.

Not sure if I want to do this bit though.....they are looking for another interest in geocaching - i.e people who are opposed to it!

<flame on>

Doesn't this just tell you all you need to know about the press - even the "responsible" people at the BBC who are meant to be above all this ?

Why can't something new, nice, and harmless, be portrayed as such ?

Why do they always have to find some nutter who claims that Geocaching (or mobile phones, or the Internet, or anything at all really) causes cancer ? Or will someone come up with "don't let your kids under 18 out Geocaching alone, because drug-peddling terrorist paedophiles will get them" ?

Come to that, why does every single drama series on TV show non-stop conflict between people ?

Give me politicians any day. At least we expect them to put spin on everything.

<flame off>

I think it's probably something to do with the right to reply guidelines. If opposing interest groups don't have their say, Auntie Beeb will come under fire for presenting an allegedly biased viewpoint (there being no down side whatsoever to geocaching).

Oh and by the way, not all ModAnts are extreme nutters, it's like anything, the higher profile members get the press and froth at the mouth and the ones that are quietly going about their business don't show up on the radar.

Mark

Team Nottrikk

I think it's probably something to do with the right to reply guidelines. If opposing interest groups don't have their say, Auntie Beeb will come under fire for presenting an allegedly biased viewpoint (there being no down side whatsoever to geocaching).

Hmmm. Doesn't seem to stop them from preventing one-sided reports on, say, "Doctors say that X makes you fat/gives you cancer", even when 99.9% of the medical profession says no such thing and in fact is firmly convinced that the evidence shows the exact opposite.

The broadcast is going to be on Tuesday 29th June at around 10am. It seems that I am going to be interviewed live on air! :blink:

I will be in the Radio Solent studio at 10am so I assume they will be broadcasting around that time. The out & about caching part is being recorded today.

Will have to find someone who can receive Southern Counties so that I can get a listen later.

Apologies now if I sound a little nervous!!!! :lol:

Sarah x

The broadcast seemed to go very well, although they did mess up the sound at the start of Neils bit.

They did make a thing about not finding the cache so I tried to put a positive side to that, saying 99% of the time the cache is there!

We did get a taped recording which Bob did & are going to try to transfer it so that everyone can have a listen. Not got round to listening to it yet and wonder if anyone phoned in about Geocaching as they asked.

All in all, I was quite pleased on how it went, but have yet to hear anyone elses opinion!

Sarah x