Benchmark Picture Contest !

Black Dog Trackers

We looked for the three other disks supposedly in the area and only found a hard plastic-type dome that may or may not have been covering one. Is this possible? I'll take a pictire of it, what would the purpose of putting a "cap" over a survey marker?

Also, what would the significance of the name on a marker be? In this case it being called MATTINA is of particular interest. Are they named for a reason or is there a naming convention used by the USGS on these???

OK, a couple of comments. First, I have not heard of a dome covering a marker but there are hinged covers on metal rods so it's possible. Can it be opened? The point is to make a mark that is accessible but set in such a way that it is protected from the general public during the years that no one wants to use it.

As far as the MATTINA marker is concerned, there markers were sometimes named after the property owner on whose land the marker was placed. There are not any hard and fast rules about this but it might be something for you to look into. Also note that NGS (National Geodetic Survey) placed this one, an agengy of NOAA and part of the Dept of Commerce. The USGS (US Geological Survey) is another agency that places markers that occansionally get into the NGS database. They are part of the Dept of the Interior.

I just happened to think that the new CORS stations might be domed. Maybe someone as more information about those?

As far as the MATTINA marker is concerned, there markers were sometimes named after the property owner on whose land the marker was placed.  There are not any hard and fast rules about this but it might be something for you to look into.

There's some information on this topic contained in the "Manual of Geodetic Triangulation". Check out one of the relevant passages here: Naming of Stations

~Zhanna

Interesting that the 1935 description mentions 1942.

Why would a disk be placed over the top of one that was already established? I've seen many disks that were placed a few feet apart by different agencies, but one on top of the other???

Time warp....

Shirley~

It's just a jump to the left, :blink: and then a step to the right.

Nice find WR and good question Colorado Papa

Interesting that the 1935 description mentions 1942.

I presume that these records were kept in file cabinets or boxes of file cards for decades, and new information was added occasionally on the same piece of paper. Then somebody got funding to keypunch data from those papers into computer format. So the record for the 1935 disk had a note added to it about the 1942 disk and when the data was keypunched they put it all under the original date instead of making a separate record.

The 1942 note says the land was acquired by the US. What was this area used for during the war? There might be a clue there as to why a new disk. Probably they were placing a series of disks for some wartime purpose and wanted all the disks in the project to have identifiers in the same series. They also probably reasoned that they could re-use data from the old disk interchangeably with the new to sufficient accuracy and less work.

That's my speculation on it.

BH

I have to admit that I've only been mildly interested in benchmarking. But after seeing some of these photos, I'm starting to change my mind. Given the right conditions even the "boring" BMs could provide interesting photos. I'm going to load some BMs in the GPS and keep that in mind when I'm out and about. :D

The Mattina Family Seekers wrote:

"Also, what would the significance of the name on a marker be? In this case it being called MATTINA is of particular interest. Are they named for a reason or is there a naming convention used by the USGS on these???"

- - - - - - - - - -

It is understandable that you would be curious about this particular station's name. Do you have relatives in the area?

In the Forum, look for the thread about the naming of stations. It has some info that might be helpful.

Best regards,

Paul

We recovered this one today, along with several other nice view shots, but this one is the best! ;)

1800d542-bcd5-4e5d-bcaf-80c0402df4ae.jpg

It is GP0303

Hey, the next time someone turns your cache down because of "environmental concerns", show them this picture....

"Can't place a cache there cuz it might crush a daisy, but we can blast this friggin mountain in half to put a road through it" ;)

LMAO at the blindness of land managers!! :lol:

We looked for the three other disks supposedly in the area and only found a hard plastic-type dome that may or may not have been covering one.  Is this possible?  I'll take a pictire of it, what would the purpose of putting a "cap" over a survey marker?

Also, what would the significance of the name on a marker be?  In this case it being called MATTINA is of particular interest.  Are they named for a reason or is there a naming convention used by the USGS on these???

OK, a couple of comments. First, I have not heard of a dome covering a marker but there are hinged covers on metal rods so it's possible. Can it be opened? The point is to make a mark that is accessible but set in such a way that it is protected from the general public during the years that no one wants to use it.

As far as the MATTINA marker is concerned, there markers were sometimes named after the property owner on whose land the marker was placed. There are not any hard and fast rules about this but it might be something for you to look into. Also note that NGS (National Geodetic Survey) placed this one, an agengy of NOAA and part of the Dept of Commerce. The USGS (US Geological Survey) is another agency that places markers that occansionally get into the NGS database. They are part of the Dept of the Interior.

I just happened to think that the new CORS stations might be domed. Maybe someone as more information about those?

DSC00088.JPG

Stupid question alert:

What is a "CORS" station?

Thanks!

-Dylan

What is a "CORS" station?

CORS are Continuously Operating Reference Stations. They are basically GPS receivers that are fixed into one location and run 24-7. From what I understand, they are used to track locations on the earth's crust and are compared with other CORS to measure movement differences between different locations.

Here is the NGS site on CORS:

What Is CORS?

Edited by California Bear

New to Benchmarking, fairly new to geocaching. Have so much doing caching with my wife (she likes the treasures) and tons of fun with the benchmarking alone (she doesn't get it).

Must admit, of the few marks I've managed to find (my first few trips must have been hilarious - me running around in circles for an hour before giving in and driving home a failure) none have been as beautiful as these photos I've seen! Thanks for sharing y'all. Wish the newbie luck.

While coming back down from Glacier Point in Yosemite (someone else posted that one already), I found HR0734 in front of an old ranger station. The building has been closed due to lead contamination. The view here isn't that spectacular, but it was interesting to note the location in front of the contaminated building.

c8804e38-014b-4313-965d-522bf4baf98f.jpg

Wow! Jeremy's picture of the mark with Mt. Rainier in the background is simply awesome, not to mention that he was the 'First to Recover' in Geocaching land. Though he makes mention of it being close to a cache....those that are close to a cache seem to get many logs. With a view like that, I hope more visit this particular spot. :)

Congratulations Jeremy on your second benchmark find! Watch out, you might get hooked like we have. :D

Shirley~

LSUMonica,

From the very first post and very first rule by Black Dog Trackers, your picture does not qualify. Sorry. :P

Contest rules:  (yeah I know, I'm always proposing so many rules; ... anyway...)

1. No intersection stations (the station IS the tower, building, etc.)  Why?  Well they all look pretty good, but they're not really all that 'benchmarky'.

2.  The disk has to be at least vaguely visible in the picture.  No - 'view from', 'the area', etc. with no PID marker in it.  Why?  It's gotta be a Benchmark picture!

3.  It has to be a PID in the database, or at least one of its reference marks or its azimuth mark (in case they don't have their own PID).

4.  No closeup of just the disk.  (Comeon, it's just a disk - where's the nice scenery?)

At the start of this thread --

Black Dog Trackers

Posted: Jun 17 2004, 09:56 AM

Contest rules:

1. No intersection stations (the station IS the tower, building, etc.) Why? Well they all look pretty good, but they're not really all that 'benchmarky'.

2. The disk has to be at least vaguely visible in the picture. No - 'view from', 'the area', etc. with no PID marker in it. Why? It's gotta be a Benchmark picture!

3. It has to be a PID in the database, or at least one of its reference marks or its azimuth mark (in case they don't have their own PID).

4. No closeup of just the disk. (Comeon, it's just a disk - where's the nice scenery?)

Interesting pic though, LSUMonica!

Bear with me on this I am still learning about benchmarks and what consistutes a benchmark other than a disk...

Question -- For AU3197 and AU3196, the datasheet doesn't say anything about "intersection" so I assumed the marker was the domes themselves. So what I am I assuming incorrectly?

PS. I just posted the picture because it was pretty and I was proud of it! :P

Went visit my hometown this weekend and with only two geocaches nearby I looked mostly for benchmarks but having trouble with identifying those other than a disk.

Intersection stations (still considered benchmarks too) are those that can be seen from a distance. This includes towers, beacons, water tanks, spires & similar tall items. Also, mountains are great intersection stations as they do not change or move (unless they blow up like Mt. St. Helens).

Other types of benchmarks include but not limited to, Drill holes in rocks, nails in rocks and/or trees, bolts, chiseled marks (squares, circles, triangles, etc).

We hope you are having fun hunting for these interesting kinds of benchmarks.

Shirley & John

First of all let me disqualify myself. this survey mark is not in the database! <_< However I think the picture and mark are worth the look.

sceneMarker is labled ARR

seesurvey mark

edit: I guess it would help to tell you that this marker is atop Observation Hill just outside McMurdo Station, Ross Island Antarctica. The buildings and such in the background is the "Ice Runway" built on annual sea ice each year for the C-17 and C-141 aircraft. The LC-130s use it in wheel mode also.

edit2 speling

Mac

Edited by McMurdo1
First of all let me disqualify myself. this survey mark is not in the database!  <_<  However I think the picture and mark are worth the look.

Disqualified or not, I think that's "COOL"! Not often we get "live" pictures from someone actually based on the South Pole. Thanks for sharing, and glad to communicate with the bottom of the world! :lol:

Edit: In fact, I don't think we have EVER had pictures from down there!

Edited by Colorado Papa

Team Bam Bam,

Good shot! You must have been hanging halfway over to have gotten that great angle!

McMurdo1,

Thank you for those links!

Here are a couple more from the gallery that caught my eye....is anyone else interested in all these great pictures?? :D Or should I not post anymore? :blink:

This is from a log by 'wildmule' GU3752

designation: BURNS

cbd9f8d7-143e-45c4-a4ff-c66144cb16fd.jpg

And this picture...

eef9141c-d76b-4bcf-ba14-5daa30b28ba6.jpg

I have included this one because it is a very interesting picture of an old 'Clock Tower' at the Rock Island Arsenal. Not only is the picture interesting ... the post by seventhings is way beyond the average run of the mill .... you might want to check MGO370 out.

Shirley~

KV4410

1/1/1980 by NOSAMC (GOOD)

RECOVERY NOTE BY NOS ATLANTIC MARINE CENTER 1980 (RHH) THE STATION WAS RECOVERED IN FINE SHAPE. THE LADY IS STILL HOLDING HER ARM OUT AS STEADY AS EVER AND HAS NOT LOST HER GRIP ON THE TORCH. THE STATION IS THE LOWEST POINT OF THE HANDLE OF THE TORCH. DESCRIBED BY RHW.

I don't know if this qualifies uner the rules. But it's a glorious picture of KV4110. the lowest point of the handle of the torch of the Statue of Liberty.

Well I hope you folks know that I live vicariously through you and your adventures while I am working at the bottom of the world. I am once again going to break the rules and post a picture or two that are not in the Groundspeak database.

I was just looking over a map download (Mount Discovery Antarctica USGS ST 57-60/10) when I notice a small triangle placed about 1000' from where I am sitting.

Oh boy! Grab the camera, hat, gloves, insulated overalls, fleece and windshell, and off like an overstuffed penguin to the top of the hill.

There it is surrounded by a small stone cairn. Mount Melania, Black Island , Antarctica.

On a recovery I would have to rate this one as poor. It is held to a length of rebar by a couple of tiewire wraps.

c7d85771-2be0-406e-b453-d8d8dd60bce5.jpg

It is a little bit of a windy cloudy day but here is the view to the North from the summit of Mount Melania. The cairn is hard to see in the picture however the domes covering my 11Meter dish and NASA's 7.5Meter dish are prominent. In the background is Mt. Erebus. I don't think anyone is going to try for my one and only geocache hide Cone_Z today.

88ef3dab-2941-4176-9071-56a98469a2bb.jpg

Mac

4e8f948c-1960-4654-856d-000c20fc5b83.jpg

DY2498 In Palos Verdes, at the southwest end of Los Angeles County. View is north along the west facing beaches of LA towards Santa Monica and Malibu. Mark is painted white with cross and black vinyl for aerial photo. All of the area's "adjusted" marks were painted months ago.

Edited by EScout