Pda Toys

OK so we've established in previous threads that most geocachers are IT professionals and that owning a PDA comes somewhere between a GPSr and legs in importance.

As a confused non-techy I could do with some advice as to the uses for a PDA and which ones are the best.

As I see it, you can use one for: -

- downloading or getting direct web access to the cache pages i.e. paperless caching;

- posting log entries or emails on the hoof;

- downloading digital mapping with waypoints; and

- using it in the car for route planning

- other non-geocaching things which we won't bother to talk about

From the forums, it seems that the iPAQ 2210 is quite popular and the Dell Axim X3i seems to be something similar. In both cases you would need to buy extra kit to allow voice instruction routing for the car and tomtom 3 software seems to be the weapon of choice.

I have also seen ads for the Mitac Mio 168 which has its own internal GPSr. This, together with Tomtom 3 can be had for £375 on the web (probably not much cheaper on ebay) which, taken as a whole, is cheaper than the sum of the parts of the other brands and could potentially dispense with the need for the garmin/magellan.

What do you users think? Am I missing something?

Aisledog

You will still need a stand alone gps to find caches I dont think tomtom will have the resolution to take you to the cache spot, I might be wrong but I think this is the case.

I have a dell axim X5 and i use it with memory map in the car but once i have parked and set off on foot, I use my etrex(before I lost it) to get me to the cache. The pda is safely stored in my rucksack in a tough waterproof box to protect it and only comes back out if I need to decode the clue or re-read the cache description. I also use it to make a note of any swaps made or anything that will be used to do my logs when I get home. this way I dont have reams of paper everywhere and saves a lot of printer ink!

I agree with the above, I also have a Dell Axim X5 - I use TomTom to get me to a parking area and then use my Etrex Vista for finding caches. I also have memory map which is usefull when out in the field to plan routes then transfer them to the Etrex to guide you.

Nice piece of kit though. If you are considering having two units, I would suggest buying the dell and get a lower spec gpsr, as you will not really need mapping functions if you get memory map.

I have a friend who sells refurbished axims at good prices and is reliable - email me seperately for more info.

You will still need a stand alone gps to find caches I dont think tomtom will have the resolution to take you to the cache spot, I might be wrong but I think this is the case.

Not necessarily, I use Tomtom to get me to the location, memory map to find the entrance footpath etc, then vito navigator ii to get me to the cache, the display is very similar to the legend I have (which stays in the backpack in case of accidents!!). Once at the cache I use gpxsonar to give cache details (and the odd hint or two) before logging my find via gprs with my mobile phone......

A very neat solution..... My wife still likes the paper versions of the details though.... but then again she can program the video and I can't...... :tongue:

Mike

(as work in IT)

Hi Mike. You sound like I want to be.... if I wasn't retired! That vito navigator.... presumably you have some sort of GPS package running on your PDA which works with it?? May I ask what PDA you use please??

I've never had a PDA and want to buy one. Present options seem to be Axim X30 or Ipaq 4150 as both would link to my home wireless network and neither would put me in the poor house!

Cheers Bren

I have an Hp 5500 (overkill really but work was paying and it helps me with wireless network surveys). This does not have CF socket which is how many gps units connect, but I have bluetooth navman gps unit and Navman software.

There is a cheap piece of shareware called GPSdash which works on the PDA and will get you to the cache, but battery power on the PDA is a bit limited if you are going to do a whole day caching. Also I think the PDA is a bit fragile for outdoors.

However, I use GPXsonar. Superb for paperless caching. I gave up with the ebook format, just didn't work for me in the wild. Battery power on PDA is not a problem for switching on every now and then to read details.

So my kit now is, Etrex summit. I feed this with easyGPS on the home PC as it uploads using the GC waypoint codes.

I use GSAK as an offline database on the PC but when this uploads to GPS it uses cache names, but as these are limited to 8 characters makes it a bit hard to work out which cache you are looking at. (Unless someone can tell me how to change this!)

Ipaq 5500 with navman 3d view to get me there on the road. (Major problem is that you can't enter lat and lon as a destination, have to work out postcode using on line map e.g. multimap or mapquest and then fine tune it on the PDA map and save it as destination. Also does not allow you to enter your own Points of Interest. But as guidance software I really like it)

Also on the Ipaq is GPXsonar, and gpsdash that could be used if etrex gets lost or damaged.

I use GSAK as an offline database on the PC but when this uploads to GPS it uses cache names, but as these are limited to 8 characters makes it a bit hard to work out which cache you are looking at.  (Unless someone can tell me how to change this!)

When you select to send the wapoints to your GPS, on the right hand side of the open box on the top it says.."you can build the waypoint name using tags(see help).." In ths box put %code.

That will do it for you.

When you select to send the wapoints to your GPS, on the right hand side of the open box on the top it says.."you can build the waypoint name using tags(see help).."  In ths box put %code.

That will do it for you.

Thanks, one day I will learn to read, honest.

These forums are listed as "United Kingdom" so one would be forgiven for thinking english would be the common language. Unfortunately, I don't understand a word of it and wonder if its the teckies laughing at the rest of us. :(

Could I ask someone to translate for me in simple sentences?

I now have:

a Magellan Sportrak Pro with a Com port connector to the PC

Fugawi digital mapping

a Dell X5 PDA with 512mb SD card

Tomtom 3 software and car mountings (to come)

Would I be right in thinking that I need GPXsonar, GSAK and upgrade to Premium membership to be able to get paperless caching; and a Com/USB converter to be able to plug my GPSr into the PDA to get live GPS on the fugawi? [i appreciate that the PDA is delicate and probably not best taken into the great outdoors]

I would be most greatful for some help.

Aisledog

Would I be right in thinking that I need GPXsonar, GSAK and upgrade to Premium membership to be able to get paperless caching; and a Com/USB converter to be able to plug my GPSr into the PDA to get live GPS on the fugawi? [i appreciate that the PDA is delicate and probably not best taken into the great outdoors]

See here for a suitable cable...

Steve

Steve

I recently bought a cable that powers both the PDA and the GPSr. It costs £32 mind you <_<.

Steve

I recently bought a cable that powers both the PDA and the GPSr. It costs £32 mind you <_<.

You may well want two cables. One to power and connect the PDA and GPSr whilst in the car and one just to connect the PDA and GPSr whilst out walking.

Having toys can get to be a very expensive pastime :-)

- Neil.

Edited by NeilFord
You may well want two cables. One to power and connect the PDA and GPSr whilst in the car and one just to connect the PDA and GPSr whilst out walking.

Having toys can get to be a very expensive pastime :-)

Didn't I mention that the "powered" part of it is detachable <_<