Hey Yogie!

I put the common “Bring a picnic lunch” comment in my new geocache and I’ve seen it in many others as well. It seems like many geocachers are more interested in the cache-and-dash, never really stopping to absorb the scenery you brought them there to see.

Does anybody ever bring a lunch to a park to eat while caching?

Sure do! Here's Skigirl43 about to enjoy her lunch last weekend on our way to a cache. If its a nice hike to an interesting spot (our favorite kind of caches), we'll often bring lunch along. If its just a cache in a dog-poop park, we'll probably pass on lunch there and hit a nearby pub.

440da785-e583-427c-84a7-195da88f6b4a.jpg

Lunch while geocaching along the Appalachain Trail:

47218f91-f725-409a-81ee-1c5623238c49.jpg

And even lunch when it's 10 degrees:

5edfd16a-c49c-428c-9b57-822b31f3d32b.jpg

Edited by briansnat
It's difficult packing in the proper glassware, but a 3-martini lunch at a scenic cache site is very enjoyable!

Campmor sells stainless steel wine glasses and pilsner glasses. They come in handy for picnics.

I just can't imagine putting beer in stainless steel!

It's difficult packing in the proper glassware, but a 3-martini lunch at a scenic cache site is very enjoyable!

Campmor sells stainless steel wine glasses and pilsner glasses. They come in handy for picnics.

Ooh..great idea! And I also found some Polycarb Martini Glasses! Awesome! :unsure:

do they have margarita glasses?

Stainless Steel Margarita Glass

DS2895.jpg

Polycarb also available, but it doesn't look as cool.

Edited by Stunod

We often plan to have lunch while out caching. We'll try to hit 3 or 4 caches in the morning, have lunch, and then hit 3 or 4 in the afternoon before calling it a day.

An extra benefit of stopping for lunch is you can use the restroom instead of having to have a potty break out in the woods.

Zack

Moose Drool Beer from here in Missoula comes in aluminum bottles. They are great for packing with because they are lighter and recyleable. Missoula doesn't recycle glass so it was great to see aluminum beer bottles become available. They also let you can get around the "no glass when rafting" rules on some of the rivers in Montana.

And yes, we take some sort of lunch or snack on almost every hike. Park and grab, no. Park, hike and explore, yes.

-Jennifer

It's pretty good. Not a lot different from drinking it out of pewter, which is my favorite way to drink it.

But you'll pay $5 to drink Old Style out of a paper cup? :blink:

Normally I use glass and drink real beer, but in the right situation, yes, I will pay $5 to drink Old Style out of a paper cup or can. :unsure:

Edited by carleenp
Memorial Day weekend I took my lunch caching...then I lost it. And I don't mean that I dropped it. :blink:

Well, to that, I would say "if you don't like micros, then don't hunt for them" and also "trade fairly, or don't trade at all." :unsure:

A couple of sandwiches and some fruit will fit quite nicely in one of the back pockets of my Camelbak MULE. When I'm with my daughter on a nice long hike, it makes for a good break. Not always at the cache site, though, since around here, that would usually mean eating your lunch on a 45 degree slope.

QUOTE (carleenp @ Jun 17 2004, 12:43 PM)

I have found that when hiking in Colorado, those high mountain lakes are perfect for re-chilling the beer that you haul up the mountain!

When hiking, I tend to live on trail mix, beef jerky, carrots, apples and zone perfect bars (and beer).

Just make sure you're living on that stuff and not leaving it in caches 

Now there's an idea for an adult/members only cache! :blink:

Edited by 5

Ooh..great idea! And I also found some Polycarb Martini Glasses! Awesome! :blink:

do they have margarita glasses?

Once, (and I do mean once) I went caching and all I had to drink was water (no beer, wine or brandy). Actually had a very good time. I saw things I've never even noticed before, for instance these things were flying all around me (they turned out to be birds). I tasted things I've never tasted before like the water for instance, it was good. And heard things I never knew existed, mainly because the ringing in my ears stopped (because I was sober).

Which reminds me ... in college, my roomate and I were going on a long and grueling bike ride. He was in charge of filling the water bottles. We get going on our ride (it was a hot day). Knowing that we had only one water bottle apiece, we conserved the water by not drinking any until we got to our destination. Once there, I was so thirsty I thought I was going to pass out. I reached for the water bottle and started to take a good long drink. Thats when it hit me ... my roommate filled his and my water bottles with vodka ... I could have killed him. Although the ride home was kinda of fun, until we got lost ...

Memorial Day weekend I took my lunch caching...then I lost it.  And I don't mean that I dropped it. :blink:

Well, to that, I would say "if you don't like micros, then don't hunt for them" and also "trade fairly, or don't trade at all." :o

A couple of sandwiches and some fruit will fit quite nicely in one of the back pockets of my Camelbak MULE. When I'm with my daughter on a nice long hike, it makes for a good break. Not always at the cache site, though, since around here, that would usually mean eating your lunch on a 45 degree slope.

I traded up man! TNLP!

J/K

that was a TNLN day.

Edited by Polgara
Ah, I see. Beer and beef for brown bears or wild boars...  :blink:

(Can a bear or a boar open ammoboxes?)

When I read this article on pairing beer and food in one of my morning exerpts I was wondering how to post it here and keep it geocaching related. :o

Thanks for the opening redwire64. :D

I rarely pack a lunch; but do have snack. If it's a full day of caching I'll hit a drive thru between caches.