Dice Cache?

lartigue

In addition to Geocaching, which I'm somewhat new at, I'm an RPG gamer. Like many RPG gamers, I love polyhedral dice. And have many different ones.

I've thought about hiding a cache called "Dice Cache" where the preferred trinket would be dice. I'd stock it with various polyhedrals, and in the description ask that, while nothing will prevent you from putting whatever you want in and taking whatever you want out, dice are preferred. (And, as always, taking or leaving nothing is okay as well.)

Would that be considered rude? I tried to find other examples of this. If you did a cache search, would this turn you off? I know that for me it's the hunt more than the goal that is important, but I didn't know if this would be okay. I know I, as a gamer, would love this sort of thing, but I'm not sure how many other would.

So I guess my questions are:

1) Is it impolite to try and gear a cache towards a certain type of prize.

2) Would this increase or decrease your interest in it, or not change it at all?

3) If it's not a problem, would dice interest anyone other than me?

Thanks!

Originally posted by lartigue:

So I guess my questions are:

1) Is it impolite to try and gear a cache towards a certain type of prize.

2) Would this increase or decrease your interest in it, or not change it at all?

QUOTE]

There are many caches geared toward particular themes...no problem there.

I lose interest in a cache as soon as I've spotted the box (ie, the "stuff" is of little import to me), so I'd still go after it...I just wouldn't trade anything (I would, of course, sign the book).

Scott

32121_600.jpg

Lynchburg, Virginia

The thrill is in the hunt, not the prize... I'd go after a cache no matter what was in it.

As for the themed contents, that's not uncommon and I don't see any problem with it at all. A cache I recently visited was "Nature's Gifts", where the theme was to leave natural goodies in the cache (shells, petrified wood, exotic stones, etc.)

Unfortunately, I forgot my bag of trade items when I went after this cache, so I had to improvise by leaving die cast figurines of various animals: a snake, a wolf, and so on.

So don't be too upset if there's some deviation from your theme. Some people might not have polyhedral dice, or they might not have read the directions, or they might have forgotten to bring the requisite items.

Don't let that stop you, though! It sounds like a fun cache idea. icon_biggrin.gif

-- Doppler

The thrill is in the hunt, not the prize... I'd go after a cache no matter what was in it.

As for the themed contents, that's not uncommon and I don't see any problem with it at all. A cache I recently visited was "Nature's Gifts", where the theme was to leave natural goodies in the cache (shells, petrified wood, exotic stones, etc.)

Unfortunately, I forgot my bag of trade items when I went after this cache, so I had to improvise by leaving die cast figurines of various animals: a snake, a wolf, and so on.

So don't be too upset if there's some deviation from your theme. Some people might not have polyhedral dice, or they might not have read the directions, or they might have forgotten to bring the requisite items.

Don't let that stop you, though! It sounds like a fun cache idea. icon_biggrin.gif

-- Doppler

I'm in the same camp as the others. I find it interesting when someone posts a theme cache, and I try to abide by the theme. But, I don't feel compelled to do so and don't let my inability to stick with the theme deter me from seeking the cache. I've been to several themed caches, and never has it been a problem to deviate from the theme. Such instructions are usually included in the cache description.

A dice cache is a great idea. Hopefully you'll be making it in my area (South Central Alaska).

As for themes in general, I've also been thinking up theme caches. The first one I want to try is a book cache.

B.T.W.- Do you happen to read K.O.D.T.? They had a great bit about geocaching in one of their comics a month or so ago.

The Best Family

C.I.A.

quote:
Originally posted by Okami, Craist & Bam-Bam Best:

Do you happen to read K.O.D.T.? They had a great bit about geocaching in one of their comics a month or so ago.

Yes! In fact, that's where I found out about Geocaching! (Although I had previously read about letterboxing in Smithsonian magazine.)

Thanks for the replies, folks! This weekend I may go talk to the director of a park nearby and see about putting a cache in the park. Dice cache - coming soon in central Illinois.

icon_biggrin.gif.

Dice seem like a perfect item for a cache theme. Lots of different types to be traded and most icon_smile.gif are of a convient size to put in a cache. Go for it.

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

icon_biggrin.gif.

Dice seem like a perfect item for a cache theme. Lots of different types to be traded and most icon_smile.gif are of a convient size to put in a cache. Go for it.

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

Exactyl Fuzzy, you spin it like a top on the point but make a point to make it wobble real bad so it does not spin all day. If you spin it like that on a nice thick magazine it actually spins down pretty quick. I actually rolled that thing four hundred times entering all the data into a spreadsheet so I could see if it rolled truely random. It wasn't prefect but it was pretty close.

Later

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

I originally wandered onto Geocaching.com a while ago, but it wasn't until I read the KODT until I knew that I needed to get a GPS. And as for a Dice Cache? It's the first thing I searched for when I logged on (and was rather disappointed to know that no one heeded Jolly's advice of a Dice Cache) However, we DO NOT need someone to do Brian's "Walk quietly and carry a big stick" cache!!!

For those who have not read Knights of the Dinner Table, go to your local comics store and pick one up! (However, if you're not a gamer, you'll be missing about 50% of the humor - so start gaming!)

Knights of the Dinner Table homepage